The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

The Departed

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

322A282F2F38292E333224410 wrote: Today is the anniversary of that time Lloyd McClendon stole first base. . . literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhnoCkp2QUo
That was funny. But he's still the worst manager I ever saw. I liked him as a player and hoped he's be a good manager. But he had a bad team and made them worse. He didn't last long in Seattle either.

Pirates worst manager has been a toss-up for me between McLendon and John Russell.  I'm still not sure if Russell was clinically dead in his time here.

I hear ya. But when Mac was grossly overmanaging every game, making every move he had ever seen a manager make without understanding why, I used to say they would do better if he would just sleep through the games. Then they hired Russell who seemed to be sleeping through the games. I thought Russell's complete inactivity was an upgrade over the awake and counterproductive McClendon. It's a sad state of affairs when the total lack of anything resembling a pulse (Russell) isn't the worst thing you've seen in a manager. 

Interesting point.  A manager's actions were worse than another manager's complete inaction.  I should've used that defense with my mother when she caught me beating the crap out of my younger brother.  "But mom, don't ya see, it woulda been worse if I didn't hit him!"

Lloyd was the worst manager I ever saw.

I won't argue. But I also think John Russell was just as bad in his own way.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

273F3D3A3A2D3C3B262731540 wrote: Today is the anniversary of that time Lloyd McClendon stole first base. . . literally.

That was funny. But he's still the worst manager I ever saw. I liked him as a player and hoped he's be a good manager. But he had a bad team and made them worse. He didn't last long in Seattle either.

Pirates worst manager has been a toss-up for me between McLendon and John Russell.  I'm still not sure if Russell was clinically dead in his time here.

I hear ya. But when Mac was grossly overmanaging every game, making every move he had ever seen a manager make without understanding why, I used to say they would do better if he would just sleep through the games. Then they hired Russell who seemed to be sleeping through the games. I thought Russell's complete inactivity was an upgrade over the awake and counterproductive McClendon. It's a sad state of affairs when the total lack of anything resembling a pulse (Russell) isn't the worst thing you've seen in a manager. 

Interesting point.  A manager's actions were worse than another manager's complete inaction.  I should've used that defense with my mother when she caught me beating the crap out of my younger brother.  "But mom, don't ya see, it woulda been worse if I didn't hit him!"

Lloyd was obsessed with changing lineups. It seemed like a hobby. In his 1st season (2001) he had a rookie SS (Jack Wilson) and a veteran SS converting to 2B for the first time in his MLB career (Pat Meares). So the more that keystone combo played together, the better they would get. But Lloyd didn't grasp that. Here's how he started the season at 2B/SS:

Game 1 Meares/Jack Wilson

Game 2 Enrique Wilson/Jack Wilson

Game 3 Enrique Wilson/Nunez

Game 4 Meares/Jack Wilson

Game 5 Meares/Jack Wilson

Game 6 Meares/Enrique Wilson

Game 7 Meares/Jack Wilson

Game 8 Wehner/Jack Wilson

Game 9 Meares/Jack Wilson

Game 10 Meares/Jack Wilson

Game 11 Meares/Nunez

Game 12 Enrique Wilson/Nunez

Game 13 Meares/Jack Wilson

Game 14 Meares/Jack Wilson

Game 15 Enrique Wilson/Nunez

Game 16 Meares/Jack Wilson

Lloyd was like a kid with a new toy. I suspect his career as a utility player made him sympathetic to those players and he was obsessed with giving them as many starts as he could. Then he decided he was going to have a running team despite not having the players to have a running team. They had the worst team OBP in the NL. To make matters worse, they had the most runners thrown out trying to steal (73). Bad enough to have the worst team OBP but then to also lead the league in removing runners from the base paths was insane. And they were only successful stealing 56% of the time so it wasn't even a good risk.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

416C61707766713132030 wrote: Today is the anniversary of that time Lloyd McClendon stole first base. . . literally.

Lloyd was obsessed with changing lineups. It seemed like a hobby. In his 1st season (2001) he had a rookie SS (Jack Wilson) and a veteran SS converting to 2B for the first time in his MLB career (Pat Meares). So the more that keystone combo played together, the better they would get. But Lloyd didn't grasp that. Here's how he started the season at 2B/SS:

Game 11 Meares/Nunez

Lloyd was like a kid with a new toy. I suspect his career as a utility player made him sympathetic to those players and he was obsessed with giving them as many starts as he could. Then he decided he was going to have a running team despite not having the players to have a running team. They had the worst team OBP in the NL. To make matters worse, they had the most runners thrown out trying to steal (73). Bad enough to have the worst team OBP but then to also lead the league in removing runners from the base paths was insane. And they were only successful stealing 56% of the time so it wasn't even a good risk.

I knew Enrique Wilson played for Pirates but couldn't remember how long.  He came over from Cleveland for Will Cordero (terrible free agent signing by Bucs) and was dealt to Yankees for Damaso Marte - a good deal for Bucs.

Also Bobster's post is a reminder of signing of Pat Meares. Another Bucco disaster.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Melky Cabrera has signed a minor league contract with the Mets.
BenM

The Departed

Post by BenM »

Jung Ho Kang Ends KBO Comeback Attempt
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Nick Kingham has been released from his KBO team due to an arm injury. I guess a team never has enough pitching in its organization. I was one who felt Kingham would have been at least a middle rotation pitcher for the Bucs for several years, or until free agency.
skinnyhorse

The Departed

Post by skinnyhorse »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: Today is the anniversary of that time Lloyd McClendon stole first base. . . literally.

Game 11 Meares/Nunez

Stunning to see that on screen, I think Littlebrains was the GM who else would have put up with such garbage, only in the Pirates organization could something like that happen. Then to hire JR wow just stunning, and frustrating to watch.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

3D252720203726213C3D2B4E0 wrote: Today is the anniversary of that time Lloyd McClendon stole first base. . . literally.

Game 11 Meares/Nunez

Stunning to see that on screen, I think Littlebrains was the GM who else would have put up with such garbage, only in the Pirates organization could something like that  happen.  Then to hire JR wow just stunning, and frustrating to watch. 
I talked to Ken Macha once and he said he wanted the mgr job when McClendon was hired. He said he interviewed but Littlefield seemed distracted and clearly had made up his mind to hire Lloyd regardless of other interviews.

DemDog

The Departed

Post by DemDog »

Glasnow hits the jackpot. In Baseball Reference's 2020 Simulated Season they show that the Rays signed him to a 5 yr extension worth $48,780,000. That comes out to about $9,756,000 per year!

WoW! Can't we pretend that BLB was loose with his shekles and dream up a deal for Bell like that?
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Mike Ryan died at 78. He was the epitome of the defense-first backup catcher, batted .193 in his career and .100 in 15 games with the Pirates in 1974. I think that he was supposed to be the main ba,ckup to Sanguillen that year, but he missed long stretches of time. I think he had a bad back. Trying to fill in for Ryan, they acquired Chuck Brinkman, who was exactly the same player as Ryan.

Sanguillen really earned his money in 1974. He had some kind of injury early, started just one of the first eight games. He started 146 of the 154 remaining games, including 31 straight from August 31 to the end of the season.