Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Off Season Thread

Post by DemDog »

043126262D1426262D2A26430 wrote: Erik Gonzalez and Keury Mela are now free agents.  Somehow, I don't remember the Pirates signing Mela on August 3.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

WTH is Keuri Mela?  Sounds like a coffee.

Keuri Mela from BBR

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Now that I know who he is, I don't want to.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Saw in today's Post-Gazette that on this date in 1925, the Pirates beat the Senators in Game 7 at Forbes Field, 9-7.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

0B5D4B5F504A5A515C4B795E54585055175A390 wrote: Saw in today's Post-Gazette that on this date in 1925, the Pirates beat the Senators in Game 7 at Forbes Field, 9-7. 

Dave, Is what Surg claims here, true?  I'd ask Doc, but this was before HIS time.  ;) 
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Much obliged for posting this. I knew of some of the Nationals players in later years, but only a little of their history before they moved to Minnesota.

For example, I was always under the impression that they always stunk in DC. This proves otherwise, and they had some.... competitive seasons.

Even when the Expos moved to town in modern times, I don't recall hearing that their name was the "Nationals" ever, let alone so many years.

Learn something new and useless every day. ;)
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

1124333338013333383F33560 wrote: Much obliged for posting this.  I knew of some of the Nationals players in later years, but only a little of their history before they moved to Minnesota.

For example, I was always under the impression that they always stunk in DC.  This proves otherwise, and they had some.... competitive seasons.

Even when the Expos moved to town in modern times, I don't recall hearing that their name was the "Nationals" ever, let alone so many years. 

Learn something new and useless every day.  ;) 
They had a few good seasons when Walter Johnson was their star pitcher. They went to the WS 2 years in a row, winning in 1924 and losing in 1925. They were often referred to as the "Nats." Being the team in the nation's capital it was a shortened form of the "Nationals" nickname just as the "Bucs" is a shortened form of "Buccaneers."
BellevueBuc

Off Season Thread

Post by BellevueBuc »

675245454E7745454E4945200 wrote: Yankees terminate their hitting coach and third base coach.  They're expected to fire their assistant hitting coach, too.

Probably philosophy differences.

Shelton has connections to their former hitting coach.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: Much obliged for posting this.  I knew of some of the Nationals players in later years, but only a little of their history before they moved to Minnesota.

For example, I was always under the impression that they always stunk in DC.  This proves otherwise, and they had some.... competitive seasons.

Learn something new and useless every day.  ;) 
They had a few good seasons when Walter Johnson was their star pitcher. They went to the WS 2 years in a row, winning in 1924 and losing in 1925. They were often referred to as the "Nats." Being the team in the nation's capital it was a shortened form of the "Nationals" nickname just as the "Bucs" is a shortened form of "Buccaneers."

Thx.

I just re-read Wiki & see why i was confused. I think it could be written a little more clearly. The way it reads, it led me to think that the official franchise name was once "Nationals" rather than "Senators."
DemDog

Off Season Thread

Post by DemDog »

22050C0C05161505221503600 wrote: Yankees terminate their hitting coach and third base coach.  They're expected to fire their assistant hitting coach, too.

Probably philosophy differences.

Shelton has connections to their former hitting coach.

I read in the Athletic that Thames was an old-school hitting coach and was not into the metrics that have become the new thing in coaching and development in baseball these days. So I think not for Thames as the new hitting coach.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

792F392D223828232E390B2C262A222765284B0 wrote: Saw in today's Post-Gazette that on this date in 1925, the Pirates beat the Senators in Game 7 at Forbes Field, 9-7. 
Yep, I was there-took the trolley from East Liberty to Forbes Field :D