52 days till first Spring Training game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Javy

Post by Javy »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: 34 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 34:

Junior Walsh, Ed Wolfe, Bob Purkey, Fred Waters, Curt Raydon, Paul Giel, Jim Umbricht, Tom Chaney, Al McBean, Nelson Briles, Ken Macha, Dave Pagan, John Milner, Bob Long, Ross Baumgarten, Dave Tomlin, Mike Bielecki, Ray Krawczyk, Rick Reed, Danny Jackson, Alejandro Pena, Esteban Loaiza, Kris Benson, Michael Restovich, Benito Santiago, John Grabow, Roberto Hernandez, Chris Bootcheck, Daniel McCutchen, A.J. Burnett, Drew Hutchinson, Trevor Williams, JT Brubaker.

Best player to wear number 34: Al McBean. Honorable mention to Esteban Loaiza, Kris Benson.

You and I disagree on Benson.  I thought he was a major disappointment.

His wife helped.

No argument from me. 

Wholeheartedly agree with McBean, but my Honorable Mention would go to Nellie Briles or John Milner.

Didn't Loaiza get caught in a major drug bust a few years back?
Also, Loaiza was a pretty lousy pitcher for the Pirates. 4.63 ERA for the Bucs with 580 hits in 513 innings.

Surg's criteria is to wear the number at least 4 years and Briles was only with them for 3 years. I would go with McBean. Benson was a major disappointment. McBean was an ace reliever and was even a better starter than Benson. 
Thanks Bobster. I completely missed Surg's post on the criteria. I was always a Briles fan. Milner spent 3 full years with the bucs and parts of 2 others so I don't know how that would be viewed.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

32 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 32:

Hal Finney, Bill Schuster, Ray Berres, Ken Heintzelman, Jim Russell, Roger Wolff, Hal Gregg, Paul LaPalme, Roger Bowman, Cal Hogue, Vern Law, Tom Butters, Bob Miller, Jim Nelson, Tom Dettore, Daryl Patterson, Jim Sadowski, Ed Ott, Doc Medich, Denny Neagle, Dan Miceli, Kip Wells, Shawn Chacon, Phil Dumatrait, Brad Lincoln, Chad Qualls, Vin Mazzaro, J.A. Happ, Elias Diaz, Geoff Hartlieb, Yoshi Tsutsugo, Bryse Wilson.

Best player to wear number 32: Vern Law. Honorable mention to Jim Russell.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

426463767F7364727A110 wrote: 32 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 32:

Hal Finney, Bill Schuster, Ray Berres, Ken Heintzelman, Jim Russell, Roger Wolff, Hal Gregg, Paul LaPalme, Roger Bowman, Cal Hogue, Vern Law, Tom Butters, Bob Miller, Jim Nelson, Tom Dettore, Daryl Patterson, Jim Sadowski, Ed Ott, Doc Medich, Denny Neagle, Dan Miceli, Kip Wells, Shawn Chacon, Phil Dumatrait, Brad Lincoln, Chad Qualls, Vin Mazzaro, J.A. Happ, Elias Diaz, Geoff Hartlieb, Yoshi Tsutsugo, Bryse Wilson.

Best player to wear number 32: Vern Law. Honorable mention to Jim Russell.

No question, the Deacon is the one. Kip Wells had such great potential but he either couldn’t or wouldn’t throw strikes. He was one of the most frustrating pitchers to watch work.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I think we were sold on Wells' potential more than anything else. A pitcher who doesn't throw strikes probably has minimal potential to succeed, let alone great potential for success. He had our hopes during a time when we were looking for all bright lights that could come our way.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D382F2F241D2F2F24232F4A0 wrote: I think we were sold on Wells' potential more than anything else.  A pitcher who doesn't throw strikes probably has minimal potential to succeed, let alone great potential for success.  He had our hopes during a time when we were looking for all bright lights that could come our way. 

he was good in 2002 and 2003 and then wheels came off.

12-14 with 3.58 ERA then 10-9 with 3.28

after that is claim to fame is leading the league in losses twice (once with Bucs and once with the Cards)
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

We got Chavez for Wells in 2006. Chavez is going to camp with the Braves in a few weeks.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1B3D3C2B3D2D5E0 wrote: I think we were sold on Wells' potential more than anything else.  A pitcher who doesn't throw strikes probably has minimal potential to succeed, let alone great potential for success.  He had our hopes during a time when we were looking for all bright lights that could come our way. 

after that is claim to fame is leading the league in losses twice (once with Bucs and once with the Cards)

Wow. I dnk that- the losses piece.

Wells is a guy from an era that I prefer to forget. Sadly, the era that we're in seems to be like that one.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

163031263020530 wrote: I think we were sold on Wells' potential more than anything else.  A pitcher who doesn't throw strikes probably has minimal potential to succeed, let alone great potential for success.  He had our hopes during a time when we were looking for all bright lights that could come our way. 

His claim to fame might be hitting a monstrous HR at PNC Park off the batter's eye wall.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

31 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 31:

Tom Padden, George Susce, Russ Bauers, Roy Jarvis, Lefty Wilkie, Earl Turner, Joe Muir, Dick Smith, Vic Janowicz, Roger Bowman, Lino Dinoso, Bill Hall, Whammy Douglas, Ken Hamlin, Laurin Pepper, Harvey Haddix, Bob Priddy, Tom Butters, Luke Walker, Billy O'Dell, Bill Henry, Angel Mangual, Dave Giusti, Al Holland, Ed Whitson, Benny Distefano, Chance Sanford, Yamid Haad, Chris Peters, Omar Olivares, Chad Hermansen, Salomon Torres, Daryle Ward, Luis Rivas, Jose Tabata, Mike Morse, A.J. Schugel, Jordan Lyles, Will Craig, Tyler Anderson, Michael Chavis, Andrew Knapp, Cal Mitchell.

Best player to wear number 31: Dave Giusti. Honorable mention, Harvey Haddix.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

September 19, 1974: the Pirates entered their game against St Louis 1.5 games behind the Cards for the lead in the NL East. Giusti finished an 8-6 Pirate by striking out Reggie Smith, Ted Simmons, and Joe Torre with the tying run on second.

This was the most thrilling play-by-play I ever heard from Bob Prince.