Game thread - 6/16 - Bucs @ Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I like the way Ster has said it.  It's tough enough to beat teams.  But, it's harder still when you have to overcome yourselves.  That includes questionable decisions made.

That first game vs. the Cubs was telling, and I don't like what it said.

We will soon see what this club is made of.  This division's tighter than a Jane Fonda facelift.  Are we up to The Task?

Better be.

bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

467364646F5664646F6864010 wrote: I like the way Ster has said it.  It's tough enough to beat teams.  But, it's harder still when you have to overcome yourselves.  That includes questionable decisions made.

That first game vs. the Cubs was telling, and I don't like what it said.

We will soon see what this club is made of.  This division's tighter than a Jane Fonda facelift.  Are we up to The Task?

Better be.

That was funny about JF.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Thx. Unfortunately, the rest isn't.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5E787F6A636F786E660D0 wrote: Thanks, Palacios.  ::) When so many players do so many things wrong so often, it has to be a reflection on the manager.
Hey, now that the pirates board is back up for the general public on reddit, there was a post about the current top ten managers for MOTY based upon some probably bullhockey poll of writers that has Shelton 8th right now

I agree. We've all said at one time or another as a caveat, "Well, let's see what happens when he has better players." This we know already. He isn't making them better base runners, that's for dam sure.
I guess it's a knee jerk reaction among pollsters to assume a manager is doing great when his team unexpectedly performs well. After 4 weeks, the Bucs were 20-8 and those reactions were understandable. But that unexpected success was brief. If Shelton deserved MOY consideration for that brief stretch of the season, he's also accountable for going 14-26 since that time.

People responding to a poll don't make an in depth assessment. They don't see the day to day baffling pitching decisions, the widespread base running mistakes, the constant lineup shuffling to get more playing time for lesser players. Obviously, it's way too early to assess MOY candidates. But after a great start, Shelton's team has regressed to performing like they always do under his inadequate leadership.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree.  Those of us who follow this car closely see more dirt.

This season, that award should have some good nominees.  They don't hand it out in June.

Or, April.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Team's doing about as well as it alway does under BC's roster construction, too. Amp it up!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

122730303B0230303B3C30550 wrote: Team's doing about as well as it alway does under BC's roster construction, too.  Amp it up!
Yeah, who needs an Endy Rodriquez or a Henry Davis on the roster when you can solidify the catching with Hedges and Delay? Do I smell a GMOY for BC? (I'm sure I smell something.)  ;)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: Team's doing about as well as it alway does under BC's roster construction, too.  Amp it up!
Yeah, who needs an Endy Rodriquez or a Henry Davis on the roster when you can solidify the catching with Hedges and Delay? Do I smell a GMOY for BC? (I'm sure I smell something.)  ;)

I'm being serious.  I admit that I don't get it.

I'm on satellite radio my entire workday, except when I'm with clients.  99% of the time it's either on MLBNR or one game or another.  I know, that's less than some of us who even go see games being played or watch them on TV.

I keep hearing young studs being brought up by competitors.  Who do we bring up?  Not our best.

Quinn Priester's 22.  I think he's been in the minors since he left the birth canal. 

Endy.....Hank....Peggy....I'm probably missing some.

I dont follow suspects. Some could be slumping or hurt for all I know. 

If we don't have any capable kids in our system, then we shouldn't crow about it, IMO.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Of course, they'd better produce when they get here. :)))

That's for Surg who will try to come back with the flip side.

If we have so much talent in the system, either bring it up or trade some to get what we need.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5F6A7D7D764F7D7D76717D180 wrote: Team's doing about as well as it alway does under BC's roster construction, too.  Amp it up!
Last year the Orioles were 16-24 when they promoted their top prospect, catcher Adley Rutschman on May 21. He had played a handful of games at AA in 2022 before being promoted to AAA where he hit just .233 in 12 games. But his talent was obvious and the Orioles were struggling at the catching position with Robinson Chirinos (.179) and Anthony Bemboom (.115) (who and who???) Rutschman immediately stabilized the lineup and the catching position, hitting .254 with 13 HRs and an OBP of .362, and was named the Orioles' MVP. The Orioles went 67-55 after his promotion last year and are currently 43-26. Rutschman has been the key. He played 180 minor league games with 651 ABs.

Henry Davis has missed a lot of minor league time with injuries but has done well this year at both Altoona and Indy. Rodriguez has played 336 minor league games with 1,243 ABs. Last year he hit .302 in A+ and .356 at AA. After a slow start at AAA this year, he's at .241 after hitting .305 since May 29.

I don't expect Rodriguez or Davis to be a duplicate of Rutschman or the Pirates to perform as well as the Orioles. But it shows that when your best prospect plays a position where you have a great weakness, just that one roster move can make a significant difference. Promote Endy, let Hedges be his backup and mentor and see if the team improves.