Official Game Thread - 7/17 - Bucs vs Guardians

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

466067727B7760767E150 wrote: I have another game with Hill starting. I find it unbelievable how many times he's started when I was in person.
Maybe you can hope for a rainout :D :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6C4A4D58515D4A5C543F0 wrote: I have another game with Hill starting. I find it unbelievable how many times he's started when I was in person.
In 1993 I went to a lot of Oriole games. It seemed like Mike Mussina was always pitching those games. He was a good pitcher but it's nice to see others as well. He spent some time on the DL during which I went to a game in Bowie, Md to see the Orioles AA team. To my surprise, Mussina was starting that night on a rehab assignment.  :)

I noticed a scout with a radar gun in the seats behind home plate. As soon as Mussina pitched a few innings and left the game, the scout left. I felt bad for the AA pitchers that night who would have liked to impress the scout only to have him leave when Mussina came out. 

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

655B5E56455D5D567653445700320 wrote: I have another game with Hill starting. I find it unbelievable how many times he's started when I was in person.
I decided to not go, too much going on this week. Exchanged them for the game day against the Tigers. Last time Miggy will be here.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

what is the opinion on Priester's stuff? I ddn't get to follow much on gameday last night and by the time I tuned in it was 7-0.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

123433262F2334222A410 wrote: I have another game with Hill starting. I find it unbelievable how many times he's started when I was in person.
I decided to not go, too much going on this week. Exchanged them for the game day against the Tigers. Last time Miggy will be here.
Good move!
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

032524332535460 wrote: what is the opinion on Priester's stuff?  I ddn't get to follow much on gameday last night and by the time I tuned in it was 7-0.

Priester said he was anxious, but I thought he looked pretty composed most of the night. He doesn’t have much power and his fastballs mostly fell around 91-92. He threw about 15 change-ups, but surprisingly those were generally listed as coming in at 88-89. If correct, that isn’t really enough variance. Most of the late damage came on fastballs.

Priester has a good 5 pitch mix. Before the game, a stat showed while in Indy, he averaged throwing each pitch type over 10% of the time, which is good. His best pitch is his curveball and last night he threw 10 of them (8 for strikes) and he had some dandies.

Without much speed, he is really going to have to focus on the art of pitching. I would think he would serve himself well by sitting next to Rich Hill every off day.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5B5C706771120 wrote: what is the opinion on Priester's stuff?  I ddn't get to follow much on gameday last night and by the time I tuned in it was 7-0.

Priester said he was anxious, but I thought he looked pretty composed most of the night.   He doesn’t have much power and his fastballs mostly fell around 91-92.    He threw about 15 change-ups, but surprisingly those were generally listed as coming in at 88-89.   If correct, that isn’t really enough variance.   Most of the late damage came on fastballs. 

Priester has a good 5 pitch mix.  Before the game, a stat showed while in Indy, he averaged throwing each pitch type over 10% of the time, which is good.  His best pitch is his curveball and last night he threw 10 of them (8 for strikes) and he had some dandies.   

Without much speed, he is really going to have to focus on the art of pitching.   I would think he would serve himself well by sitting next to Rich Hill every off day.   

Thanks for report. A little disappointing in his fastball. Pretty slow for today's game. I like the idea of soaking up as much from Rich Hill as he can.