general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Minor League Thread

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:07 pm
Bobster wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:54 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:35 pm

All kidding aside, I suggest that if you can, you guys should read the article in Todays PG by Jason Mackey
concerning the Pirates Academy in the Dominican Republic. To be honest, I was totally unaware of the scope
of involvement that the Pirates have in this facility. How many of these players will actually make it to the
majors is secondary. On an Island where it is a major achievement to graduate from high school, the Pirate
Organization deserves a pat on the back
The academy is 15 years old and I don't believe it has produced any players for the Pirates. It seems like a good thing for the area and an emphasis on education. But Nutting speaks of it as player development. There seems to be a disconnect there. Nutting gets to use it as a PR talking point as if the Pirates are really focusing on player development. Spending a few million on that facility is good for the area but a few million on payroll only buys a mediocre player. So it's a way for Nutting to sound like he's doing something for the Pirates without spending on MLB salaries. I don't think the academy does much of anything for the Pirates except buy some good will. But it sounds like a good thing for that area. I think of it more as a good Pirates Charity and Nutting deserves credit or that. But it doesn't seem to be much of a player development tool.
I read the article a couple of days ago and I think I remember it mentioning Marte and Polanco as “graduates” of the academy. If those two are the only big league players to have reached Pittsburgh in 15 years it speaks further to the Pirates inability to either recognize amateur talent or develop it when those players join the organization, regardless of who’s running the Front Office. I agree, the facility is a wonderful thing for the island but as for its main purpose, finding and developing major league talent, mark it down as another strategy that’s come up wanting.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:35 pm

All kidding aside, I suggest that if you can, you guys should read the article in Todays PG by Jason Mackey
concerning the Pirates Academy in the Dominican Republic. To be honest, I was totally unaware of the scope
of involvement that the Pirates have in this facility. How many of these players will actually make it to the
majors is secondary. On an Island where it is a major achievement to graduate from high school, the Pirate
Organization deserves a pat on the back
The academy is 15 years old and I don't believe it has produced any players for the Pirates. It seems like a good thing for the area and an emphasis on education. But Nutting speaks of it as player development. There seems to be a disconnect there. Nutting gets to use it as a PR talking point as if the Pirates are really focusing on player development. Spending a few million on that facility is good for the area but a few million on payroll only buys a mediocre player. So it's a way for Nutting to sound like he's doing something for the Pirates without spending on MLB salaries. I don't think the academy does much of anything for the Pirates except buy some good will. But it sounds like a good thing for that area. I think of it more as a good Pirates Charity and Nutting deserves credit or that. But it doesn't seem to be much of a player development tool.
I read the article a couple of days ago and I think I remember it mentioning Marte and Polanco as “graduates” of the academy. If those two are the only big league players to have reached Pittsburgh in 15 years it speaks further to the Pirates inability to either recognize amateur talent or develop it when those players join the organization, regardless of who’s running the Front Office. I agree, the facility is a wonderful thing for the island but as for its main purpose, finding and developing major league talent, mark it down ans another strategy that’s come up wanting.
The article only mentions Marte and Polanco by including them among Dominican success stories whose pictures are at the academy.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Doc wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:15 pm
I read the article a couple of days ago and I think I remember it mentioning Marte and Polanco as “graduates” of the academy. If those two are the only big league players to have reached Pittsburgh in 15 years it speaks further to the Pirates inability to either recognize amateur talent or develop it when those players join the organization, regardless of who’s running the Front Office. I agree, the facility is a wonderful thing for the island but as for its main purpose, finding and developing major league talent, mark it down as another strategy that’s come up wanting.
I am sure Bob gets a hefty write off for this endeavor
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Reading today’s article in the Post-Gazette about the academy, Nutting comes across as tremendously altruistic. It’s like Mackey’s not talking about the same guy who we rage on about here. It’s all so contrary. He comes across as being genuinely thrilled to help these young kids who attend the academy, having no problem opening his wallet for these players, and delights in seeing to it that they receive more than just baseball instruction. It’s like no cost is out of the question. I almost found myself liking him for a moment. Then I remember how he runs his big league club and I’m right back to seeing him as the Ebeneer Scrooge he really is.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Doc wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:56 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:03 pm
Reading today’s article in the Post-Gazette about the academy, Nutting comes across as tremendously altruistic. It’s like Mackey’s not talking about the same guy who we rage on about here. It’s all so contrary. He comes across as being genuinely thrilled to help these young kids who attend the academy, having no problem opening his wallet for these players, and delights in seeing to it that they receive more than just baseball instruction. It’s like no cost is out of the question. I almost found myself liking him for a moment. Then I remember how he runs his big league club and I’m right back to seeing him as the Ebeneer Scrooge he really is.
For some strange reason, I felt the same way