4/3 Game Thread - Opening Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

64667C7A6C090 wrote: "WOW, to put all 5 of the runs on Mercer's head is so wrong." .

And yet the facts are irrefutable. If Mercer had made the play, the inning was over and no runs scored. Of course I am only partly serious when I advance this idea (and really, from watching on TV I couldn't see the defensive alignment nor how far he had to go to get to it). My real point is that all the talk was about Cutch's strikeouts or Cole mistake pitch (but what about his fumbled attempt to field the bunt?). We never look at defense. My theory is we don't because it is neither clear nor quantifiable. But it does have a real impact on the game. It just isn't easily reduced to stats.

And by the same token, if you go back to 2013, Starling Marte dropped a fly ball against St. Louis in July, and Mercer threw a ball away against Cincinnati in September. If both plays were made, Bucs would have tied for the division that year.

Anyway, no doubt that was a big play. Isn't this more or less the defensive runs saved stat?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3F382E26283F78740D2A202C2421632E22204D0 wrote:

Cole pitched a GREAT game till he blew up.  But that's the problem - it was potentially one of his best games yet he still melted down.  Granted he was going against a great lineup, but for now he's still not shown he can be a true shut down guy.

Based on his 2016, it was nice to see those first 4 innings for Cole. But 4 great and 1 awful doesn't cut it. It's Charlie Mortonish. Cole has to do better.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

One meltdown does not bother me. If he does it every second or third start, then I have a problem.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

363334323A3029343D2E28255C0 wrote: One meltdown does not bother me.  If he does it every second or third start, then I have a problem.
That's very true. But I'm seeing a lot of praise for those 4 good innings as if Cole had a great outing. But 5 runs in 5 innings is not good. It's just 1 game. But it wasn't a good outing.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I was checking it out through At bat from work (in the background on my desktop), get called for one ten minute meeting, come back and suddenly we're getting killed.

Heh, that'll teach me to do my job.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

44767A7A6E5C7F767B7E7176170 wrote: I was checking it out through At bat from work (in the background on my desktop), get called for one ten minute meeting, come back and suddenly we're getting killed.

Very irresponsible of you. You can work any day but the season opener comes along once per year. You may have to accept some blame for the loss.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0D202D3C3B2A3D7D7E4F0 wrote: I was checking it out through At bat from work (in the background on my desktop), get called for one ten minute meeting, come back and suddenly we're getting killed.

Very irresponsible of you. You can work any day but the season opener comes along once per year. You may have to accept some blame for the loss.

Sammy we have an unwritten rule here at OBN that when guys do not call of from work on both the season opener when it is on the road and also the home opener. Other than Christmas and Easter there are no more sacred holidays in Buccoland. Even a quick 10 minute meeting whether at work or at home is frowned upon. This violation is particularly serious when the Buccos lose as they did yesterday. So please take this post as a warning that should you violate this rule again you will be taken by loyal Bucco fans here on OBN and forced to walk the plank, Pirate style. ;D
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Sammy just needs to install the app on his phone and take it to the meeting with him. Not that I do that or anything... ;D
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I take the blame for this loss. I totally let the boys down out there. :-[
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

60525E5E4A785B525F5A5552330 wrote: I take the blame for this loss.  I totally let the boys down out there.   :-[

You are forgiven Sammy! Don't transgress again please! :D