Nicassio and LeBlanc placed on Irrevoccable Waivers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

0F29283F29394A0 wrote: Nicasio to the Phils, per MLBTR. First team that could have claimed him.

There is at least a  50-50 chance that the Phils flip him to someone today.

That's exactly right.

Huntington is a bumbling idiot.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

143233243222510 wrote: Nicasio to the Phils, per MLBTR. First team that could have claimed him.

There is at least a  50-50 chance that the Phils flip him to someone today.

I wouldn't be stunned by that. Actually, I expect that to happen. If it does, NH will look even more ridiculous for this move then he does now and lets face it, he doesn't look good to begin with.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Are they able to trade him? Seems at the very least the whole process would start again, and they'd have to put him on revocable waivers, so a trade couldn't be made today.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

484F59515F480F037A5D575B5356145955573A0 wrote: I think this is a salary dump for the Cards to possibly allow them to go after Stanton in the offseason.

I truly don't think that STL has the assets to get Stanton.  Trading its third best starter might create space $$$ wise, but it doesn't do anything to help add assets to deal to Florida/Miami or whatever they are called now.

There is talk that the Cardinals maybe interested in Stanton.  But even if that goes no where, does anyone doubt the Cardinals will actually use their new Financial flexibility tobmake the team better? 

Cards to me are run like a small market team and get the most out of their players. Their development over the years is pretty significant as far as players. Pham, Wong, DeJong, Grichuck ... the list goes on. They are the model for financial flexibility. They really don't have to go out and get tons in the offseason due to the players the farm system develops.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

20130F0E0D05330E1509121504080F610 wrote: Are they able to trade him? Seems at the very least the whole process would start again, and they'd have to put him on revocable waivers, so a trade couldn't be made today.

But if they can, good move by the Phillies. Imagine this scenario:

"Hey Philly, claim Nicasio and we will trade you _____ in return."

I have no idea how long this process takes. Playoff rosters are set tonight, but I am sure Nicasio can help a contender get to the playoffs.

Philly also needs pitchers for next year. Maybe the claimed him as a tryout to try to extend him?
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

In the grand scheme of things, I think this is relatively minor. To be perfectly honest, I don't care. Relievers are fungible.

BUT...in essence, the Pirates just traded Juan Nicasio and cash for Juaquin Benoit.  This is why they are about to have their 22nd losing season out of the last 25.

SMH...

Again, minor deal. This team isn't a contender.  Wasn't a contender the day Marte's test came back positive and Kang was denied a visa. Regardless, it's pointless moves like this, independent of any money (and sheesh...if $600K is that big of a deal, even to this team, we may as well all quit following because the situation is truly hopeless), that entrench you in mediocrity, or worse.  The objective is to assemble the best players as possible, not trade them away for players who aren't as good.

BTW...assuming Nutting has a net worth of $1.5 billion, $600K is approximately .04% of his net worth.  That's four one hundredths of one percent.  Comparatively, if your net worth (counting all investments, 401(k), house, car, etcetera) is $500,000, that's the equivalent of $200.  Two.  Hundred.  Dollars.  Or, roughly the cost of an average family of four to take in a garbage Pirates game from the nose-bleed seats.

I'm so sick and tired of this organization.  Again, not solely because of Nicasio.  Nicasio is fungible.  It's the principle behind it all.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Dumping Nicasio for nothing to save 600,000 screams of cheapness and is a total disgrace.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

353E363A3F3E256066112830393E3E7F323E510 wrote: Are they able to trade him? Seems at the very least the whole process would start again, and they'd have to put him on revocable waivers, so a trade couldn't be made today.

But if they can, good move by the Phillies.  Imagine this scenario:

I have no idea how long this process takes.  Playoff rosters are set tonight, but I am sure Nicasio can help a contender get to the playoffs.

Philly also needs pitchers for next year.  Maybe the claimed him as a tryout to try to extend him?

Philly really has no use for him this year ... at all. The smartest thing they can do is flip him for a prospect that could work out down the road. I doubt they are giving him a tryout to see if they want to extend him for next year. Do you do that in the Phillies situation with set up guys soon to be a free agent? I don't think so.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5242437462626E010 wrote: Are they able to trade him? Seems at the very least the whole process would start again, and they'd have to put him on revocable waivers, so a trade couldn't be made today.

I have no idea how long this process takes.  Playoff rosters are set tonight, but I am sure Nicasio can help a contender get to the playoffs.

Philly also needs pitchers for next year.  Maybe the claimed him as a tryout to try to extend him?

Philly really has no use for him this year ... at all.  The smartest thing they can do is flip him for a prospect that could work out down the road.  I doubt they are giving him a tryout to see if they want to extend him for next year.  Do you do that in the Phillies situation with set up guys soon to be a free agent?  I don't think so.

But I don't think him going to a new team means that the waiver deadline rules no longer apply. Doesn't he have to go on there for like 24 hrs or something?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7363625543434F200 wrote: Are they able to trade him? Seems at the very least the whole process would start again, and they'd have to put him on revocable waivers, so a trade couldn't be made today.

Philly really has no use for him this year ... at all.  The smartest thing they can do is flip him for a prospect that could work out down the road.  I doubt they are giving him a tryout to see if they want to extend him for next year.  Do you do that in the Phillies situation with set up guys soon to be a free agent?  I don't think so.

They will get first crack at him before he is a free agent. So, if they were planning on signing him in the off season, they will have a jump start in the process.