Shohei Ohtani

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Shohei Ohtani

Post by Bobster21 »

222B23323C460 wrote: The point is that if we were really doing all we can in trying to land him, we had the 20mil earmarked, right?

You gotta pay $20 mil just to buy his rights before you negotiate a contract. Without the 20 mil, there could be nobody competing with you and you still couldn't sign him.   

So we obviously have 20+ mil to spend on increasing payroll this year, since that was just the posting fee!    Let's get busy!

From what I read, all 30 teams sent in the required paperwork Ohtani requested. Do you really think all 30 teams had an additional 20 million budgeted for him? Most, including the Pirates, were fully aware they had zero chance of getting him. No doubt, some that thought they had a chance would have moved other players to free up salary. This idea that the Pirates had an additional 20 million set aside for a payroll increase is pure fantasy.
dmetz

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dmetz »

Exactly. NH is a PR idiot for bringing him up. He was asked about what he's looking to do and NH went to Ohtani as if that was some real target.

People are dismissing it as company line, but when HE is the one who brings up the player (as opposed to being asked about him specifically) that's flat out BS propaganda being pushed.

I can't stand our GM
Ecbucs

Shohei Ohtani

Post by Ecbucs »

6C656D7C72080 wrote: Exactly.   NH is a PR idiot for bringing him up.   He was asked about what he's looking to do and NH went to Ohtani as if that was some real target.

People are dismissing it as company line, but when HE is the one who brings up the player (as opposed to being asked about him specifically) that's flat out BS propaganda being pushed.

I can't stand our GM

His public statements are the kind that are believed by 12 year old fans. Unfortunately there aren't very many fo them any more. I remember buying baseball season preview magazines every spring, took me a couple years to figure out that every team didn't have a chance to compete.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7A737B6A641E0 wrote: Exactly.   NH is a PR idiot for bringing him up.   He was asked about what he's looking to do and NH went to Ohtani as if that was some real target.

I can't stand our GM

So, you think he didn't try or didn't make a pitch to Ohtani? They can offer him top dollar compared to other teams.
mouse

Shohei Ohtani

Post by mouse »

I'm guessing they answered the questionnaire, as did all but (apparently) three teams. The actual pitch only comes from the teams he's willing to chat with. Once he picks a team to negotiate with (I think this is how it works), that team then posts the $20MM and negotiates away. Since the Pirates didn't make the first cut, they never get to the later stages.
SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4E636E7F78697E3E3D0C0 wrote: The point is that if we were really doing all we can in trying to land him, we had the 20mil earmarked, right?

You gotta pay $20 mil just to buy his rights before you negotiate a contract. Without the 20 mil, there could be nobody competing with you and you still couldn't sign him.   

So we obviously have 20+ mil to spend on increasing payroll this year, since that was just the posting fee!    Let's get busy!

From what I read, all 30 teams sent in the required paperwork Ohtani requested. Do you really think all 30 teams had an additional 20 million budgeted for him? Most, including the Pirates, were fully aware they had zero chance of getting him. No doubt, some that thought they had a chance would have moved other players to free up salary. This idea that the Pirates had an additional 20 million set aside for a payroll increase is pure fantasy.

I think a team that doesn't have the 20 million but wins would find SOME way to get it. 

I mean, I don't have a thousand bucks on me and it's not in my budget.  But if this afternoon someone offered me a Mercedes Benz for a grand I'd figure something out. 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3C3E242234510 wrote: I'm guessing they answered the questionnaire, as did all but (apparently) three teams. The actual pitch only comes from the teams he's willing to chat with. Once he picks a team to negotiate with (I think this is how it works), that team then posts the $20MM and negotiates away. Since the Pirates didn't make the first cut, they never get to the later stages.

Teams did send presentations to his representatives selling their team, facilities, and city. He isn't necessarily going to the highest bidder.
Bobster21

Shohei Ohtani

Post by Bobster21 »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: Exactly.   NH is a PR idiot for bringing him up.   He was asked about what he's looking to do and NH went to Ohtani as if that was some real target.

I can't stand our GM

So, you think he didn't try or didn't make a pitch to Ohtani?  They can offer him top dollar compared to other teams. 

As an international free agent, Ohtani's salary is limited by the international FA bonus pool. The Pirates have the 4th highest amount in their bonus pool, which is roughly 2.3 million. The Rangers and Yankees with 3.5 million in their bonus pools have the most to offer. The Rangers are among the 7 finalists. Whichever team is chosen must give 20 million to his former team in Japan. So the most it could cost any team is if he chooses the Rangers, which would cost them 23.5 million plus his salaries for subsequent years.
DemDog

Shohei Ohtani

Post by DemDog »

5B6965657143606964616E69080 wrote: The point is that if we were really doing all we can in trying to land him, we had the 20mil earmarked, right?

I think a team that doesn't have the 20 million but wins would find SOME way to get it. 

I mean, I don't have a thousand bucks on me and it's not in my budget.  But if this afternoon someone offered me a Mercedes Benz for a grand I'd figure something out. 

I do hope that before you buy that $1,000 Mercedes that you do your due diligence by getting a "Car Fax" on it! ;D
SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ha, I thought of that later after I made that crappy example!