The year of PLayoff and Wild Card berths

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Gotta hand it to Milwaukee. That is an exceptional team. They execute every phase of the game. I think they can stand toe to toe with Boston.

I’ve also been a bit of a Dodger fan and was rooting for LA. But I’m thinking Manny Machado is my least favorite player in mlb. One of my least favorite ever. So, let’s GO BREWERS!

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Wheeeeeeeeee. Boston and Los Angeles.

But don't worry there's nothing wrong with baseball.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4A7874746052717875707F78190 wrote: Wheeeeeeeeee.  Boston and Los Angeles. 

MLB and the TV Networks would have had a hissy fit if the Bucs and somebody like the Royals or Twinkies were in the WS. No big market teams to drive ratings and bring in more advertising revenue.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

507179507B73140 wrote: Wheeeeeeeeee.  Boston and Los Angeles. 

MLB and the TV Networks would have had a hissy fit if the Bucs and somebody like the Royals or Twinkies were in the WS.  No big market teams to drive ratings and bring in more advertising revenue.

Ha, maybe we can just change the rules and make the world series be Yankees vs. Boston every year. They'd eat that up.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Here come the Cubs:

[ftp]https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cubs-pa ... l-tv-deal/[/ftp]

Over the last few seasons, the Cubs have lingered just behind heavyweight clubs like the Dodgers, Red Sox, and Yankees in terms of payroll. A new television deal should put them on par with those teams for the foreseeable future.

mouse

Post by mouse »

You have to figure it's just going to get worse for the Pirates. They might get lucky once in ten years, but the big spenders will dominate appearances.
BenM

Post by BenM »

I wander how many people are going to check out because it's two Goliath's playing in the World Series?

Me? I'm watching the Sixers tonight.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

75474B4B5F6D4E474A4F4047260 wrote: Here come the Cubs:

[ftp]https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cubs-pa ... l-tv-deal/[/ftp]

Over the last few seasons, the Cubs have lingered just behind heavyweight clubs like the Dodgers, Red Sox, and Yankees in terms of payroll. A new television deal should put them on par with those teams for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, parity in MLB means small market teams can compete once in a generation if they're lucky while the large markets compete nearly every year.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6A4D4665280 wrote: I wander how many people are going to check out because it's two Goliath's playing in the World Series?

Me? I'm watching the Sixers tonight.
I have no interest in the World Series.
kansasfan

Post by kansasfan »

Some crazy stats for these some of the pitchers from these 2 teams:

Kershaw: $33.5M salary, 4.28 ERA in 145 innings of postseason pitching.

Sale & Kershaw combined to make $46M this year, and also combined to pitch 8 innings and give up 8 earned runs last night. Both have career regular season ERAs under 3.00.

David Price: $30M salary, made 3 starts so far in the playoffs this year, pitching a total of 12 1/3 innings, with a 5.11 ERA - which basically matches his career playoff ERA of 5.04 in 85 innings pitched. His career regular season ERA is 3.25.