Possible start to season in May-

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Yep. We said it when Commissioner Selig added the second Wild Card. It keeps fans interested deeper into seasondks than they would otherwise.

Now, may 25 teams a year have some shot of making it going into Opening Day. Maybe five don't.

I see 0 reason to change.

In the Pirates' defense, I dont think they've been the second Wild Card team. So, the second Wild Card has hurt them more than it's helped.

The more they expand the playoff field, the less the regular season means.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

As far as playoffs go I like way the NHL does it. I know 16 teams make it but they play 4 rounds of best of 7 games each and each team seems to remain relevant in the next year or so.
The top 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs and 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on. Using this method the top 8 teams make it no matter what division they are in. The top team in each conference is #1 seed and so on.

MLB would have to perhaps go with 6 teams from each league and do the same thing.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The NHL should do what MLB does, not the other way around.

If an NHL team is able to fog a mirror, it's allowed in. 

Fewer is more.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

48696148636B0C0 wrote: As far as playoffs go I like way the NHL does it.  I know 16 teams make it but they play 4 rounds of best of 7 games each and each team seems to remain relevant in the next year or so. 
The top 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs and 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7 and so on.  Using this method the top 8 teams make it no matter what division they are in.  The top team in each conference is #1 seed and so on. 

MLB would have to perhaps go with 6 teams from each league and do the same thing. 

Baseball is by far my favorite sport, but there's nothing that compares to the NHL playoffs. It works so well for that sport. The team that wins that ordeal most certainly deserves it.

With regard to baseball's playoffs, two changes I'd like to see are (1) the Wildcard round be changed to at least a three game series and (2), fewer off days during each of the rounds that lead to the World Series.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I look at the Purpose.  The Purpose of playoffs isn't to add games.  The Purpose is to determine the champion.  You don't need 100 rounds of a playoffs to tell you what three, four at most, should tell you. 

The difference- to me- is the number of games in the regular seasons.

After 162 MLB games, the final ten who make it tend to have earned it- just to get into the "second season." 

In sports like the NBA (as much as I enjoy it) and the NHL, I wouldn't even bother watching the first round or two.  Those seasons are half as long as MLB's.  So, I can see why they would want more rounds and more games.

I hear complaints about the WCG.  I think it's great as is.  Win the division, or pay the price for not winning it.  You might have to burn up your best SP, and if you win, you might have to start the division series with your #2.  That's the price you pay for finishing second rather than first.  It's an automatic sense of urgency, and it might as well be Game 7 without the first six games and dragging the thing out needlessly.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Playoffs are simple. Turn back the clock. The two teams with the best records in each league make the WS. If there is a tie for first in either league simply have a one-game playoff ala Brooklyn and the NY Giants in 1951 when Bobby Thompson of the Giants hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" off Dodgers' pitcher Ralph Branca.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

BOB is going to remove you from his Hanukah list.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I hate the three batter minimum rule. I hate the idea of bringing the DH to the National League. The only change I would like to see is to actually expand the playoffs. Play a handful of double headers each year. Expand to eight teams in each league. I don’t think it waters down the regular season. I think it gives us Pirates fans hope. I wouldn’t care if Bob bragged about getting the 8th seed. I would like to actually have a fighter's chance of seeing the postseason more than once in a blue moon. 2013-2015 were a lot of fun. I’d rather have more of that. Baseball, more than any sport, the worst team can beat the best team. If they expand the playoffs and the Pirates sneak in every two or three years and maybe win a series here and there, I’ll take it.

Maybe I’m crazy. I think the three batter minimum rule infringes on the integrity of the game and strategy. I think the DH eliminates a key strategic element in the game. But I’d love to see more playoff teams, and the first round be best of three. Higher seed gets two home games.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Integrity's like crying.

There isn't any in baseball.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

586D7A7A71487A7A71767A1F0 wrote: Integrity's like crying.

There isn't any in baseball.
What do you mean? Bob cries all the time