The Playoffs Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Is it MLB-centric? I wonder how the ratings have been for all other major professional sports? I used to watch all but hockey; even golf and tennis.

My reason, and probably many others- Covid.

I don't own a television. I would go to my favorite restaurant to watch. I haven't gone nearly as often since April.
Bobster21

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

123433262F2334222A410 wrote: Game one of the World Series was the lowest rated in the history of the WS since the Nielsen ratings were started.

Fret not, the record lasted one night, as Game two had even fewer viewers.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/10/21/tv-r ... ZMYOg9IffQ

It comes as no surprise to me....one only needs to read over this thread (granted this is a Pirates message board and not an MLB message board). I think if you look at comments from various threads, you'll find that there isn't one reason in particular, rather quite a few. Each person tuning out only needs one reason, not multitudes.]

That makes sense. I think a lot of MLB fans tuned out this season because of Covid. Playing a mini-season with no fans at the games and with new rules just doesn't feel like your normal baseball season. And regardless of unique circumstances there are always a lot of very casual MLB fans who don't get interested until 2 big market teams clash in the WS. And Tampa just doesn't do it for them.

Personally, as a Pirate fan, I rarely pay any attention to the post season since it is always irrelevant to my team. I wish I didn't feel that way. Decades ago when the Pirates were consistently relevant, I took an interest in the pennant races and followed them thru, interested to see which team would win it all. I really enjoyed some WS that didn't involve the Pirates. But now when my team is always on the outside looking in, I don't pay much attention to how the other teams are doing or who makes the postseason or who wins it all. I watched game 1 this year only to see Glasnow. Turned it off when he was pulled and didn't watch game 2.
Ecbucs

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

6C414C5D5A4B5C1C1F2E0 wrote: Game one of the World Series was the lowest rated in the history of the WS since the Nielsen ratings were started.

It comes as no surprise to me....one only needs to read over this thread (granted this is a Pirates message board and not an MLB message board). I think if you look at comments from various threads, you'll find that there isn't one reason in particular, rather quite a few. Each person tuning out only needs one reason, not multitudes.]

That makes sense. I think a lot of MLB fans tuned out this season because of Covid. Playing a mini-season with no fans at the games and with new rules just doesn't feel like your normal baseball season. And regardless of unique circumstances there are always a lot of very casual MLB fans who don't get interested until 2 big market teams clash in the WS. And Tampa just doesn't do it for them.

Personally, as a Pirate fan, [highlight]I rarely pay any attention to the post season since it is always irrelevant to my team[/highlight]. I wish I didn't feel that way. Decades ago when the Pirates were consistently relevant, I took an interest in the pennant races and followed them thru, interested to see which team would win it all. I really enjoyed some WS that didn't involve the Pirates. But now when my team is always on the outside looking in, I don't pay much attention to how the other teams are doing or who makes the postseason or who wins it all. I watched game 1 this year only to see Glasnow. Turned it off when he was pulled and didn't watch game 2.

that is the case for me too. In addition, when I was a kid and young adult I was interested in following league leaders in stats like batting average, rbi, homers and steals, pitchers in wins and ERA. I couldn't guess most players in the top 10 of any of those now. I find it to be more work to follow individual players since box scores are published on one page anymore and there isn't a weekly list of batting and pitching stats.

There is more info than ever on the internet and I guess I could sort through ESPN and MLB stats I just don't care to do it.
Bobster21

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

507677607666150 wrote: Game one of the World Series was the lowest rated in the history of the WS since the Nielsen ratings were started.

Personally, as a Pirate fan, [highlight]I rarely pay any attention to the post season since it is always irrelevant to my team[/highlight]. I wish I didn't feel that way. Decades ago when the Pirates were consistently relevant, I took an interest in the pennant races and followed them thru, interested to see which team would win it all. I really enjoyed some WS that didn't involve the Pirates. But now when my team is always on the outside looking in, I don't pay much attention to how the other teams are doing or who makes the postseason or who wins it all. I watched game 1 this year only to see Glasnow. Turned it off when he was pulled and didn't watch game 2.

that is the case for me too.  In addition, when I was a kid and young adult I was interested in following league leaders in stats like batting average, rbi, homers and steals, pitchers in wins and ERA.  I couldn't guess most players in the top 10 of any of those now.  I find it to be more work to follow individual players since box scores are published on one page anymore and there isn't a weekly list of batting and pitching stats. 

There is more info than ever on the internet and I guess I could sort through ESPN and MLB stats I just don't care to do it.
Yes! When I was a kid I kept a notebook with a list of the names of every player on every team (it was only 10 teams in each league then) and a list of all their players' HRs. It was in pencil so I could makes daily changes. Guys like Aaron made the pages a mess when the eraser wore thru the paper. :)

And I looked forward to the Saturday paper because it had the up to date individual stats. They were repeated on Sunday but were already a day old by then. :)
BenM

The Playoffs Thread

Post by BenM »

4F7A6D6D665F6D6D66616D080 wrote: Is it MLB-centric?  I wonder how the ratings have been for all other major professional sports?  I used to watch all but hockey; even golf and tennis.

My reason, and probably many others- Covid.

I don't own a television.  I would go to my favorite restaurant to watch.  I haven't gone nearly as often since April.

No, it's not. Pretty much every sport (NBA, tennis, NHL etc.) have seen large ratings declines.
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

What I thought.

Tennis? Several stars skipped.

ESPN did a study that showed that MLB is largely regional. It's driven quite a bit by the two teams playing, whether it's the RS or playoffs.

We're avid fans. We may watch. The more casual fans might not.
SammyKhalifa

The Playoffs Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I really enjoy listening to John Smoltz.
SammyKhalifa

The Playoffs Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

no. tonight's game was awesome
Ecbucs

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

45777B7B6F5D7E777A7F7077160 wrote: no. tonight's game was awesome

it sure was. Glad I watched.
Surgnbuck

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

44767A7A6E5C7F767B7E7176170 wrote: no. tonight's game was awesome
Instant classic in the vernacular of the peasantry!