Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

257365717E64747F726557707A767E7B3974170 wrote: "Padres general manager A.J. Preller said Wednesday that "it sounds like there's interest on both sides" in a contract extension for Fernando Tatis Jr."

---

I wonder if Cherington has interest in signing anyone to a contract extension?

I'm sure he would if he had a talent like Tatis.  Of course, there's no player on the Pirates roster who comes close.  Which player would you offer an extension to?

_____

Reynolds.

Of all of the Pirates players, Reynolds would be my first choice to offer an extension.  Had he had another good season in 2020, I'd be screaming for BC to extend him.  But he's had two very different seasons and it might be prudent to watch him play in 2021 to see if he's the player of 2019 or of 2020.

The fluke in Reynolds career was this year. Not last year. Here are his BA stats at each level:

A-: .312

A: .317

A+: .312

AA: .302

AAA: .367

MLB (2019): .314

MLB (2020): .189

The guy can hit. 2020 was screwed up from the get go. His 2020 season was so completely opposite of everything else in his professional baseball career that it can't be seen as legit.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

110A07060F030C620 wrote: IMHO the entire first off season was almost a waste because of the late hiring process. It was done in most unusual fashion and timing, which for the Pirates of late, comes as no surprise.

A truncated spring training. With my recollection, there really wasn't anyone that seemed to be busting out, they were doing pretty bad. That couldn't have helped.

But it was obvious this team had absolutely nothing with which to trade for immediate impact, which I believe I have stated on a few occasions.

Now people are questioning MARTE's trade?!?!?!?!? The guy was absolutely excoriated in every forum I was a member. You know, "all that talent, but never realized it"...."ten cent head"...."lazy".....I'm sure there were plenty of others.  Yet somehow, BC was supposed to get some immediate quality ML ready player that would satisfy the collective mindset of the fandom? For that guy? What I find amazing is that somehow, Marte suddenly got WAY better immediately after he was traded. He suddenly became a top notch Pirate talent.

Let us not forget, this past draft. Remember, the one with only SIX picks? The Pirates went pitcher and college heavy, to get guys who were closer to being ready because there really wasn't much down on the farm. They used 99.2 percent of their allotted signing money, and signed all of their picks. So, they didn't even get a normal draft for the first go around. I wonder if they even got to pick guys they really wanted due to the fewer number of picks.

Last but not least, didn't improve on ONE position? Am I the only one who noticed they had one of the better starting rotations for the last six weeks of the season?

So yeah, they were terrible. Sure would have been nice if Josh Bell, Bryan Reynolds, Adam Frazier, Kevin Newman would have shown up. You know, they guys whose names seem to be bandied about as actual trade options for really, really, really good talent?

There was nothing to trade to make the team even "one position better". There was nothing turned over. There was no way to even evaluate the players in the system. I hated this last season, but face it, that was their spring training. They did exactly what every single one of us knew was going to happen, and finish last.

Yet somehow, the expectations were, actually I don't know what for last season. 

AFAIC, the real work started with the draft, and I'll wait and see what happens from there on forward. This offseason IMHO is really this regime's first.

I'm going to actually see if they do anything for once. One thing you could count on with NH, no need to follow the transactions listing.
______

So, there was absolutely no possible way to improve the worst team in all of baseball?

Ben did such a fine job that the team didn't even win 1/3 of its games.

The guy put forth absolutely no effort. Yet, the apologies for it seem endless.

No wonder we lose. No surprise if we continue to lose.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

0F3A2D2D261F2D2D26212D480 wrote: IMHO the entire first off season was almost a waste because of the late hiring process. It was done in most unusual fashion and timing, which for the Pirates of late, comes as no surprise.

A truncated spring training. With my recollection, there really wasn't anyone that seemed to be busting out, they were doing pretty bad. That couldn't have helped.

But it was obvious this team had absolutely nothing with which to trade for immediate impact, which I believe I have stated on a few occasions.

Now people are questioning MARTE's trade?!?!?!?!? The guy was absolutely excoriated in every forum I was a member. You know, "all that talent, but never realized it"...."ten cent head"...."lazy".....I'm sure there were plenty of others.  Yet somehow, BC was supposed to get some immediate quality ML ready player that would satisfy the collective mindset of the fandom? For that guy? What I find amazing is that somehow, Marte suddenly got WAY better immediately after he was traded. He suddenly became a top notch Pirate talent.

Let us not forget, this past draft. Remember, the one with only SIX picks? The Pirates went pitcher and college heavy, to get guys who were closer to being ready because there really wasn't much down on the farm. They used 99.2 percent of their allotted signing money, and signed all of their picks. So, they didn't even get a normal draft for the first go around. I wonder if they even got to pick guys they really wanted due to the fewer number of picks.

Last but not least, didn't improve on ONE position? Am I the only one who noticed they had one of the better starting rotations for the last six weeks of the season?

So yeah, they were terrible. Sure would have been nice if Josh Bell, Bryan Reynolds, Adam Frazier, Kevin Newman would have shown up. You know, they guys whose names seem to be bandied about as actual trade options for really, really, really good talent?

There was nothing to trade to make the team even "one position better". There was nothing turned over. There was no way to even evaluate the players in the system. I hated this last season, but face it, that was their spring training. They did exactly what every single one of us knew was going to happen, and finish last.

AFAIC, the real work started with the draft, and I'll wait and see what happens from there on forward. This offseason IMHO is really this regime's first.

I'm going to actually see if they do anything for once. One thing you could count on with NH, no need to follow the transactions listing.
______

So, there was absolutely no possible way to improve the worst team in all of baseball?

The guy put forth absolutely no effort.  Yet, the apologies for it seem endless.

No wonder we lose.  No surprise if we continue to lose.
Did you check out all the activity he has done? International spending is through the roof, he traded scrap for the money to sign guys who were already playing professional ball. Just because you didn't see something you feel reflects "action" at the major league level, he's hardly sat on his hands. There's more to his job, and more to what he's been doing then meets your eye.

He signed 22 free agents (most to minor league contracts) he made 5 waiver claims. He made 8 trades, many of them to gain more bonus pool money and international money.

By the looks of it, he's already been busy turning over the foundation of the organization, a pretty weak one at that. He's already targeted college players, international players to accelerate a top tier in the organizational chart, because there wasn't much else. Next year they'll have the number one draft position.

Keep your blood pressure in check, watch your weight, exercise regularly. The 2022 Pirates are going to be something to watch, and it's going to be a great 2021 watching them take those first steps to relevance.

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

A whole bunch of nothing.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: "Padres general manager A.J. Preller said Wednesday that "it sounds like there's interest on both sides" in a contract extension for Fernando Tatis Jr."

---

I wonder if Cherington has interest in signing anyone to a contract extension?

I'm sure he would if he had a talent like Tatis.  Of course, there's no player on the Pirates roster who comes close.  Which player would you offer an extension to?

_____

Reynolds.

Of all of the Pirates players, Reynolds would be my first choice to offer an extension.  Had he had another good season in 2020, I'd be screaming for BC to extend him.  But he's had two very different seasons and it might be prudent to watch him play in 2021 to see if he's the player of 2019 or of 2020.

The fluke in Reynolds career was this year. Not last year. Here are his BA stats at each level:

A-:               .312

A:                .317

A+:              .312   

AA:              .302

AAA:            .367

MLB (2019): .314

MLB (2020): .189

The guy can hit. 2020 was screwed up from the get go. His 2020 season was so completely opposite of everything else in his professional baseball career that it can't be seen as legit.

I can't argue your point about his consistency up until this season, and I agree 2020 has been strange in too many ways to count. But he still was shockingly bad and I'd rather watch him overcome his performance at least for the first three months of '21. If he's back to normal through June, BC shouldn't wait another day to start negotiations with Reynolds' agent. I just don't want the Pirates to make the same mistake they made with Polanco.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6E484F5A535F485E563D0 wrote: IMHO the entire first off season was almost a waste because of the late hiring process. It was done in most unusual fashion and timing, which for the Pirates of late, comes as no surprise.

______

The guy put forth absolutely no effort.  Yet, the apologies for it seem endless.

Did you check out all the activity he has done? International spending is through the roof, he traded scrap for the money to sign guys who were already playing professional ball. Just because you didn't see something you feel reflects "action" at the major league level, he's hardly sat on his hands. There's more to his job, and more to what he's been doing then meets your eye.

He signed 22 free agents (most to minor league contracts) he made 5 waiver claims. He made 8 trades, many of them to gain more bonus pool money and international money.

By the looks of it, he's already been busy turning over the foundation of the organization, a pretty weak one at that. He's already targeted college players, international players to accelerate a top tier in the organizational chart, because there wasn't much else. Next year they'll have the number one draft position.

Keep your blood pressure in check, watch your weight, exercise regularly. The 2022 Pirates are going to be something to watch, and it's going to be a great 2021 watching them take those first steps to relevance.

Again, Surge, stop this nonsense of making sense.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

684E495C55594E58503B0 wrote: IMHO the entire first off season was almost a waste because of the late hiring process. It was done in most unusual fashion and timing, which for the Pirates of late, comes as no surprise.

______

______

2022??? The can has been kicked down the road and now the road is no longer paved and it is bouncing down an old dirt path.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Take me home, country roads......... ;)
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

When I die, can I PLEASE come back as BOB or BC?

Don't have to work.

Get six months off. Really, all year.

Who cares how I do?

Rake in the money!

Get lots of free garb.

Watch games for free.

Life would be grand.

fjk090852-7

Off Season Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7A5C5B4E474B5C4A42290 wrote: IMHO the entire first off season was almost a waste because of the late hiring process. It was done in most unusual fashion and timing, which for the Pirates of late, comes as no surprise.

______

There are probably many who don’t agree with you, but I too have faith that this current FO is going to turn things around rather quickly.