Official Game Thread - 6/4 - Buc vs Marlins

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1B363B2A2D3C2B6B68590 wrote: I'm glad Leon didn't start.
record setting no hitter would have been in play
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

When this Pirate team is in the WS next year Leon will realize just how good he was...
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

As a catcher, Leon was 2-2 tonight

as a pitcher, he strikes out.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I generally think Shelton is a very poor manager. But props tonight for his BP use. Hurdle would have used 7 relievers to cover 7 innings. Shelton did it with only 3 relievers, all pitching more than 1 inning.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Raise the Jolly Roger!!!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4A6C6B7E777B6C7A72190 wrote: As a catcher, Leon was 2-2 tonight

as a pitcher, he strikes out.
Just another case for the DH. :D
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: I generally think Shelton is a very poor manager. But props tonight for his BP use. Hurdle would have used 7 relievers to cover 7 innings. Shelton did it with only 3 relievers, all pitching more than 1 inning.
Yep, and pulled Shreve when he was obviously done.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Great win.

For some reason I have been wrong about the way relievers can earn wins.

I always new starters had to go five innings and I thought a relief pitcher that was removed before the end of the fifth couldn't get a win.

I've seen examples in playoff games were relievers have gotten wins before the end of the fifth but thought that might have been special scoring.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

507677607666150 wrote: Great win.

I always new starters had to go five innings and I thought a relief pitcher that was removed before the end of the fifth couldn't get a win.

I've seen examples in playoff games were relievers have gotten wins before the end of the fifth but thought that might have been special scoring.
No, the 5th inning rule never applies to relievers. Underwood was the pitcher of record when the Bucs took the lead in the bottom of the third because he had pitched the top of the third in a 2-2 tie.

In a different situation where a reliever inherits a lead from a starter before the starter can go 5 innings, that reliever is in line for the win as long as that lead is never lost. However in that situation the official scorer has the option to award the win to the most effective reliever rather than the one who was in the right place at the right time.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: Great win.

No, the 5th inning rule never applies to relievers. Underwood was the pitcher of record when the Bucs took the lead in the bottom of the third because he had pitched the top of the third in a 2-2 tie.

In a different situation where a reliever inherits a lead from a starter before the starter can go 5 innings, that reliever is in line for the win as long as that lead is never lost. However in that situation the official scorer has the option to award the win to the most effective reliever rather than the one who was in the right place at the right time.

Thanks. I guess I always thought the 5 inning rule applied because in the olden days it was rare for a relief pitcher to pitch and leave the game before the end of the fifth (and if a reliever was needed that early it was usually a loss).