Re: Official Game Thread - 8/1 - Phillies vs. Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7C5A5D48414D5A4C442F0 wrote: Along with his batting prowess, Polanco just put on a defensive display

Offensively, he did what he usually has done over the past five years or so. He had a decent few games in Arizona and SF and then went in the tank. This week, he had two singles in 19 at bats. It's his M.O.

Defensively, he showed again today that he's painful to watch. He simply can't track fly balls and his arm isn't much better than mine.

He provides nothing for the team, except that he's had success stealing bases. Unfortunately, he can't reach base.

I hope you're right and that BC allowed him to play his last game in a Pirates uniform this weekend at home, and that he'll be released before the team heads to Milwaukee. There's no longer one justifiable reason to have him remain on the team.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7A2C3A2E213B2B202D3A082F25292124662B480 wrote: Along with his batting prowess, Polanco just put on a defensive display

Offensively, he did what he usually has done over the past five years or so.  He had a decent few games in Arizona and SF and then went in the tank.  This week, he had two singles in 19 at bats.  It's his M.O. 

Defensively, he showed again today that he's painful to watch.  He simply can't track fly balls and his arm isn't much better than mine.

He provides nothing for the team, except that he's had success stealing bases.  Unfortunately, he can't reach base.

I hope you're right and that BC allowed him to play his last game in a Pirates uniform this weekend at home, and that he'll be released before the team heads to Milwaukee.  There's no longer one justifiable reason to have him remain on the team.
Someone seems to think his 11 HR's is somehow significant for some reason, because "we need power". That has to be the lamest excuse ever.

Polanco's OPS with RISP is .490

That is all anyone needs to know for his "adding power". He adds nothing. For his entire time in Pittsburgh, he has TWO walk off hits. Two. How pathetic is that considering the numerous opportunities he's had?

He is useless.

And I hope today was his last game.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

634542575E5245535B300 wrote: Along with his batting prowess, Polanco just put on a defensive display

Offensively, he did what he usually has done over the past five years or so.  He had a decent few games in Arizona and SF and then went in the tank.  This week, he had two singles in 19 at bats.  It's his M.O. 

Defensively, he showed again today that he's painful to watch.  He simply can't track fly balls and his arm isn't much better than mine.

He provides nothing for the team, except that he's had success stealing bases.  Unfortunately, he can't reach base.

I hope you're right and that BC allowed him to play his last game in a Pirates uniform this weekend at home, and that he'll be released before the team heads to Milwaukee.  There's no longer one justifiable reason to have him remain on the team.
Someone seems to think his 11 HR's is somehow significant for some reason, because "we need power".  That has to be the lamest excuse ever.

That is all anyone needs to know for his "adding power".  He adds nothing. For his entire time in Pittsburgh, he has TWO walk off hits. Two. How pathetic is that considering the numerous opportunities he's had?

He is useless.

If he gets waived, no team will pick him up because they become responsible for the contract. But once he clears waivers any team can sign him as a FA and pay only the MLB minimum salary prorated over the rest of the season (and I assume that applies to the 2022 buyout as well). That is the most money that can now be saved by the Pirates. And if a team would take a flier on him that way before September, he could be on a post season roster if the new team actually wanted that. So it makes sense to waive him ASAP to at least save somewhere around $750,000.
2drfischer@gmail.c

193F382D24283F29214A0 wrote: Along with his batting prowess, Polanco just put on a defensive display

Someone seems to think his 11 HR's is somehow significant for some reason, because "we need power".  That has to be the lamest excuse ever.

That is all anyone needs to know for his "adding power".  He adds nothing. For his entire time in Pittsburgh, he has TWO walk off hits. Two. How pathetic is that considering the numerous opportunities he's had?

He is useless.

“Power” and “Polanco” are incongruent. He’s never been a true power bat. Second basemen have hit more HRs in a season than he ever has. There’s no reason to believe it will ever change.

At best, he’s been an average to below average player for a great portion of his time in the big leagues. The only thing he’s been consistent with over his entire career is his inconsistency.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

123F32232435226261500 wrote: Olviedo now has 18 walks in 19.2 innings.
I think the experiment with Olviedo should be terminated. Lately he has not been successful, and as a Rule 5 acquisition he is taking up a space on the roster.
2drfischer@gmail.c

103D30212637206063520 wrote: Along with his batting prowess, Polanco just put on a defensive display

He is useless.

If he gets waived, no team will pick him up because they become responsible for the contract. But once he clears waivers any team can sign him as a FA and pay only the MLB minimum salary prorated over the rest of the season (and I assume that applies to the 2022 buyout as well). That is the most money that can now be saved by the Pirates. And if a team would take a flier on him that way before September, he could be on a post season roster if the new team actually wanted that. So it makes sense to waive him ASAP to at least save somewhere around $750,000.

It would be a real head-scratcher if a good team picked him up if he was waived. The last thing they need is his inability to do almost everything. Heck, they’re trying to win.

I could see a bad team taking him at such a low cost but they’d soon find they were wasting their time. Even the worst team has younger players who are all-around better and deserve time to continue to improve.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: Olviedo now has 18 walks in 19.2 innings.
I think the experiment with Olviedo should be terminated. Lately he has not been successful, and as a Rule 5 acquisition he is taking up a space on the roster.
The philly announcers were ripping Olviedo. Said he has no business pitching on a Major League team
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Found!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1B2520283B232328082D3A297E4C0 wrote: Olviedo now has 18 walks in 19.2 innings.
The philly announcers were ripping Olviedo. Said he has no business pitching on a Major League team
They would be experts on lousy relievers :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

053B3E36253D3D361633243760520 wrote: Olviedo now has 18 walks in 19.2 innings.
Looks like the Philly announcers cracked the code on the Rule 5 draft. Olviedo definitely does not belong on a major league team. But that's the nature of Rule 5. He never pitched above A-ball. Not even high-A. But he was not protected by Cleveland in the draft and the Mets selected him and traded him to the Pirates. Rule 5 requires the player remain on the major league roster all season and can then be controlled by that team at any developmental level. So Olviedo has to take up a spot in the BP this year until he can be optioned next year. He will likely begin at Altoona in 2022 and might not see the majors again for a year or 2 depending on how well he does in the minors. But the only options this year are to keep him or waive him. If he cleared waivers and the Indians didn't want him back he could be outrighted to Indy. But it's late enough in the season now that Olviedo would likely be claimed by another team going nowhere with nothing to lose by having him pitch poorly until the end of the season when they can keep him and option him to the minors. But the Pirates like his potential and also have nothing to lose by putting up with him for 2 more months.

Their problem is that they are also carrying ineffective relievers like Underwood, Ponce, K. Keller and Meares. They probably don't belong on a major league team either despite having the A+, AA and AAA experience Olviedo lacks. And the Pirates have a starting rotation so weak that that the BP usually has to cover 4 innings per game. So Olviedo becomes just another--and the worst--of a bad bullpen with too many innings to pitch.