2021 Official OBN Predictions Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

015741555A40505B564173545E525A5F1D50330 wrote:

I'm not proud of myself.

You're cool. But if Bob moves next door and you break out the binoculars well.....not that there's anything wrong with that
I understand that the Pirates have lowered their ticket prices to match the Altoona Curve and the Greensboro Grasshoppers. The reason being the quality of baseball is the same.

I heard yesterday that the club can't sell the 7500 seats they're allowed to put on sale for the second and third games of the Cubs series this weekend.  If that's true, they can't be surprised by that news.  After an offseason of dealing away their best players, and the way the team was overmatched in the last five games, it's hard for fans to feel as though they'll get their money's worth.  This is a deep hole the franchise is in and it's going to take a monumental effort to escape it, especially if fans see little in the way of a promising future.

Look back and see how they did last season with their best players all on board. How did they do? 19-41 the worst record in all of MLB. It seems like you are saying that with all the star players back this year that they would be in contention. I doubt that would be the case. Yes, BC tore down the team and got some good prospects that are a few years away. He got a bunch of dumpster dives that have proved to be just that, garbage. But what turns me off more than anything is how this team is supposed to teaching fundamentals of baseball and still seeing fundamental blunders both by the players and the on-field management team. Neither you nor I expected the 2021 Bucs to win many games, but we never thought they would be absolutely clobbered by the Reds in the last series. I can live with losses this season but not the bumbling around by the players, manager, and coaching staff that are supposed to teaching fundamentals.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7325332728322229243301262C20282D6F22410 wrote:

I heard yesterday that the club can't sell the 7500 seats they're allowed to put on sale for the second and third games of the Cubs series this weekend.  If that's true, they can't be surprised by that news. 

It's not true actually. Saturday's game has only a handful of tickets remaining. Sunday's game there are a couple hundred left, mostly in the upper deck outfield seats.

If there are other tickets they are talking about, they're certainly not the ones afforded to the general public. Just look online, you can count them up for yourself how many tickets are available.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

74555D745F57300 wrote:

I'm not proud of myself.

You're cool. But if Bob moves next door and you break out the binoculars well.....not that there's anything wrong with that
I understand that the Pirates have lowered their ticket prices to match the Altoona Curve and the Greensboro Grasshoppers. The reason being the quality of baseball is the same.

I heard yesterday that the club can't sell the 7500 seats they're allowed to put on sale for the second and third games of the Cubs series this weekend.  If that's true, they can't be surprised by that news.  After an offseason of dealing away their best players, and the way the team was overmatched in the last five games, it's hard for fans to feel as though they'll get their money's worth.  This is a deep hole the franchise is in and it's going to take a monumental effort to escape it, especially if fans see little in the way of a promising future.

Look back and see how they did last season with their best players all on board.  How did they do?  19-41 the worst record in all of MLB.  It seems like you are saying that with all the star players back this year that they would be in contention.  I doubt that would be the case.  Yes, BC tore down the team and got some good prospects that are a few years away.  He got a bunch of dumpster dives that have proved to be just that, garbage.  But what turns me off more than anything is how this team is supposed to teaching fundamentals of baseball and still seeing fundamental blunders both by the players and the on-field management team.  Neither you nor I expected the 2021 Bucs to win many games, but we never thought they would be absolutely clobbered by the Reds in the last series.  I can live with losses this season but not the bumbling around by the players, manager, and coaching staff that are supposed to teaching fundamentals. 
Well put, Possum. We know the roster has inferior talent than probably every opponent on their schedule. Losing is anticipated. But it would be nice to see well played games, proper execution of fundamentals, sound defense. That way we could be encouraged that the mgr and coaches are fixing what they can fix and that when the roster upgrades the talent, things will fall in place. Instead, we see inferior players stumbling and bumbling through the games as if they don't know how to play. If that's how this team is going to be run, then even better players will shoot themselves in the foot with stupid plays.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

436E63727564733330010 wrote:

I'm not proud of myself.

Look back and see how they did last season with their best players all on board.  How did they do?  19-41 the worst record in all of MLB.  It seems like you are saying that with all the star players back this year that they would be in contention.  I doubt that would be the case.  Yes, BC tore down the team and got some good prospects that are a few years away.  He got a bunch of dumpster dives that have proved to be just that, garbage.  But what turns me off more than anything is how this team is supposed to teaching fundamentals of baseball and still seeing fundamental blunders both by the players and the on-field management team.  Neither you nor I expected the 2021 Bucs to win many games, but we never thought they would be absolutely clobbered by the Reds in the last series.  I can live with losses this season but not the bumbling around by the players, manager, and coaching staff that are supposed to teaching fundamentals. 
Well put, Possum. We know the roster has inferior talent than probably every opponent on their schedule. Losing is anticipated. But it would be nice to see well played games, proper execution of fundamentals, sound defense. That way we could be encouraged that the mgr and coaches are fixing what they can fix and that when the roster upgrades the talent, things will fall in place. Instead, we see inferior players stumbling and bumbling through the games as if they don't know how to play. If that's how this team is going to be run, then even better players will shoot themselves in the foot with stupid plays.

one interesting thing about the fundamentals is the mistakes are not being made just by players brought up thru the Bucco system. Difo, Alford and Fowler for example. Bucs coaching hasn't had enough time to reprogram them to make mistakes.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

022425322434470 wrote:

I'm not proud of myself.

one interesting thing about the fundamentals is the mistakes are not being made just by players brought up thru the Bucco system.  Difo, Alford and Fowler for example.  Bucs coaching hasn't had enough time to reprogram them to make mistakes.

The players brought in from other organizations are generally dumpster dives--players waived or traded for cash because their old team didn't want them. Not exactly la crème de la crème. :)
shedman

Post by shedman »

Wee all agree that it would be nice if the team played good fundamentals and sound defense, but we all know that no matter how good their fundamentals might be, the Management of this team is too cheap to field a team that has any chance of winning.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2A313C3D343837590 wrote: Wee all agree that it would be nice if the team played good fundamentals and sound defense, but we all know that no matter how good their fundamentals might be, the Management of this  team is too cheap to field a team that has any chance of winning.
Not really relevant to the discussion of fundamentals. But thanks for saying it for the millionth time. ::)
shedman

Post by shedman »

Yeah, I have heard the droning on and on about fundamentals and base running a million times too, but we all know those aren't the reason we are losing all of these games.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

263D303138343B550 wrote: Yeah, I have heard the droning on and on about fundamentals and base running a million times too, but we all know those aren't the reason we are losing all of these games.
We all know they're cheap. We all know what a detriment that is. But it gets very tiresome when you add it to the discussions of every other aspect of the team.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

48696148636B0C0 wrote:

I'm not proud of myself.

Look back and see how they did last season with their best players all on board.  How did they do?  19-41 the worst record in all of MLB.  [highlight]It seems like you are saying that with all the star players back this year that they would be in contention.[/highlight]  I doubt that would be the case.  Yes, BC tore down the team and got some good prospects that are a few years away.  He got a bunch of dumpster dives that have proved to be just that, garbage.  But what turns me off more than anything is how this team is supposed to teaching fundamentals of baseball and still seeing fundamental blunders both by the players and the on-field management team.  Neither you nor I expected the 2021 Bucs to win many games, but we never thought they would be absolutely clobbered by the Reds in the last series.  I can live with losses this season but not the bumbling around by the players, manager, and coaching staff that are supposed to teaching fundamentals. 

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying without the guys who they traded, the season can be expected to be worse, and that many fans won't want to spend money to see a team worse than the nightmare we witnessed last season.

I agree with you regarding the lack of fundamentals. It doesn't cost any more money in payroll to play the game soundly. That's where the Pirates can close the gap with other teams, by minimizing mistakes. Playing the game the right way should be emphasized over and over. It's not like the players, at each level, don't have the time to learn what to do correctly.