The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

The Departed

Post by BenM »

Did we ever find out what the deal was with Chisenhall? The team signed him and then he pretty much disappeared. Did he ever do anything (including rehab) with the team?

114751454A50404B465163444E424A4F0D40230 wrote: Lonnie Chisenhall Retires

I always thought what Raul Mondesi did was the worst thing I ever saw, until the Chisenhall fiasco.  At least Mondesi showed up for 20-some games before he went home.

Don't forget Derek Bell and Operation Shutdown!!
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Departed

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1C3B30135E0 wrote: Did we ever find out what the deal was with Chisenhall? The team signed him and then he pretty much disappeared. Did he ever do anything (including rehab) with the team?

Lonnie Chisenhall Retires

I always thought what Raul Mondesi did was the worst thing I ever saw, until the Chisenhall fiasco.  At least Mondesi showed up for 20-some games before he went home.

Yeah, that was another despicable act. And the way George Hendricks behaved was another one.
johnfluharty

The Departed

Post by johnfluharty »

02252E0D400 wrote: Did we ever find out what the deal was with Chisenhall? The team signed him and then he pretty much disappeared. Did he ever do anything (including rehab) with the team?

Lonnie Chisenhall Retires

What was really cool about that whole situation was how supportive the fan base was while Bell was struggling. Any time he did something positive they would cheer him. That's what makes his 'operation shutdown' comment all the worse. The fans were patient and supportive while he struggled, but he showed absolutely no appreciation of that fact.
BenM

The Departed

Post by BenM »

313433353D372E333A292F225B0 wrote:

What was really cool about that whole situation was how supportive the fan base was while Bell was struggling.  Any time he did something positive they would cheer him.  That's what makes his 'operation shutdown' comment all the worse.  The fans were patient and supportive while he struggled, but he showed absolutely no appreciation of that fact.

Unfortunately, I wonder how much cocaine might have had to do with both his struggles and his attitude.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

43646F4C010 wrote:

What was really cool about that whole situation was how supportive the fan base was while Bell was struggling.  Any time he did something positive they would cheer him.  That's what makes his 'operation shutdown' comment all the worse.  The fans were patient and supportive while he struggled, but he showed absolutely no appreciation of that fact.

Unfortunately, I wonder how much cocaine might have had to do with both his struggles and his attitude.
What was particularly disturbing about signing Bell was that he had gone from a good hitter to batting .236 in 1999 and although he raised it to .266 in 2000, he had hit a mere .220 from July 1 thru the rest of 2000. So he was in a serious decline when they signed him as a FA. He was a total waste hitting .173 for the first half of 2001 before having an injury. They gave him a maximum rehab in AAA to get his bat going but he hit just .162 vs AAA pitchers. But of course he expected to be handed the RF spot in 2002.  ::)
NJBucsFan

The Departed

Post by NJBucsFan »

Glasnow interview with the PPG seems to really put a nail in Searage's reputation.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2003080161
johnfluharty

The Departed

Post by johnfluharty »

Really glad we have moved on from Searage.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

5B5F5760766653747B150 wrote: Glasnow interview with the PPG seems to really put a nail in Searage's reputation.

I have posted several times that the analytics staff is just as responsible as Searage (unless they were providing information that he ignored). Neal H. was very proud of the analytics dept at one point and supposedly the Bucs were cutting edge.

What happened to that Department? I know Dan Fox left but did the Pirates just have a poor analytics process after that? Did they decide they already had all the answers? To me, any criticisms of Searage go right back to the front office too.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

567071667060130 wrote: Glasnow interview with the PPG seems to really put a nail in Searage's reputation.

I have posted several times that the analytics staff is just as responsible as Searage (unless they were providing information that he ignored).  Neal H. was very proud of the analytics dept at one point and supposedly the Bucs were cutting edge.

What happened to that Department?  I know Dan Fox left but did the Pirates just have a poor analytics process after that?  Did they decide they already had all the answers?  To me, any criticisms of Searage go right back to the front office too.
Good question. Maybe it was flawed all along. They had good results from some pitchers by applying their analysis. But not all pitchers benefited. But the thinking, according to Glasnow, seemed to be that what worked for one should work for all and if it didn't, it was the pitcher's fault. Maybe they didn't go far enough with their analytics. They seemed to think that a successful model they developed for a few pitchers never needed to be changed for any other pitchers. As you said, it seems like they thought they had all the answers because one theory was successful for some pitchers. They didn't need to change their analytics. They needed to expand them with different theories for different pitchers.
GermanTownship

The Departed

Post by GermanTownship »

Let’s not forget that Glasnow was wild and couldn’t throw strikes. He was also a big part of the problem. The responsibility for success rests mainly on him. He was a strikeout machine in the minors. But when he came up, he became “wild thing”. If he didn’t like what Searage and Hurdle were telling him, then he should have pitched the way that he was successful with. Being the top pitching prospect, what where they going to do, cut him? I don’t think so.