The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Tom Prince was named the manager of the Toledo Mud Hens.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

The Rangers are nuts, have signed Jordan Lyles for 2 years and $16 million. From MLB Trade Rumors:

The Rangers have reached an agreement with free-agent right-hander Jordan Lyles, pending a physical, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports. It’ll be a two-year, $16MM contract for the Ballengee Group client, per Jeff Passan of ESPN. Lyles did not crack the top 50 of MLB’s best available free agents entering the offseason, making this significant payday all the more surprising.
ChitownBucco

The Departed

Post by ChitownBucco »

587E7F687E6E1D0 wrote: The Rangers are nuts, have signed Jordan Lyles for 2 years and $16 million.  From MLB Trade Rumors:

The Rangers have reached an agreement with free-agent right-hander Jordan Lyles, pending a physical, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports. It’ll be a two-year, $16MM contract for the Ballengee Group client, per Jeff Passan of ESPN. Lyles did not crack the top 50 of MLB’s best available free agents entering the offseason, making this significant payday all the more surprising.

Lyles was really good with the Brew Crew

Rangers might have gotten themselves a top bargain of the offseason if he keeps it up. small risk high reward deal
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

The Brewers signed Josh Lindblom, 3 years for 9 million with extensive incentives. Lindblom has gone 35-7 in the last two seasons for the Doosan Bears of the Korean League. He won the Cy Young equivalent both seasons and the MVP this past season.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

I just saw Tyler Glasnow interviewed on the MLB Network. He was asked what made him a better pitcher in Tampa. He said that the Pirates wanted him to nibble at the corners. He said in Tampa they recognized that that had not worked for him and wanted him to get back to what had made him successful (in the minors). He said they gave him confidence that his stuff was good enough to pitch aggressively and challenge hitters instead of nibbling. I watched him pitch against the Orioles last season and he was throwing 97 over the plate, getting strikes and getting ahead of hitters. What a shame the Pirates failed to bring out his potential when Tampa seems to have had so little trouble doing that.
PMike

The Departed

Post by PMike »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: I just saw Tyler Glasnow interviewed on the MLB Network. He was asked what made him a better pitcher in Tampa. He said that the Pirates wanted him to nibble at the corners. He said in Tampa they recognized that that had not worked for him and wanted him to get back to what had made him successful (in the minors). He said they gave him confidence that his stuff was good enough to pitch aggressively and challenge hitters instead of nibbling. I watched him pitch against the Orioles last season and he was throwing 97 over the plate, getting strikes and getting ahead of hitters. What a shame the Pirates failed to bring out his potential when Tampa seems to have had so little trouble doing that.   

Nibble at the corners... Whoever told him that should definitely have been fired. Jeez.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

425F7B7977120 wrote: I just saw Tyler Glasnow interviewed on the MLB Network. He was asked what made him a better pitcher in Tampa. He said that the Pirates wanted him to nibble at the corners. He said in Tampa they recognized that that had not worked for him and wanted him to get back to what had made him successful (in the minors). He said they gave him confidence that his stuff was good enough to pitch aggressively and challenge hitters instead of nibbling. I watched him pitch against the Orioles last season and he was throwing 97 over the plate, getting strikes and getting ahead of hitters. What a shame the Pirates failed to bring out his potential when Tampa seems to have had so little trouble doing that.   

Nibble at the corners...  Whoever told him that should definitely have been fired.  Jeez.

Later in the show he said Cole had also been told to nibble and wasn't allowed to pitch to his strength until he got to Houston.
PMike

The Departed

Post by PMike »

0B262B3A3D2C3B7B78490 wrote: I just saw Tyler Glasnow interviewed on the MLB Network. He was asked what made him a better pitcher in Tampa. He said that the Pirates wanted him to nibble at the corners. He said in Tampa they recognized that that had not worked for him and wanted him to get back to what had made him successful (in the minors). He said they gave him confidence that his stuff was good enough to pitch aggressively and challenge hitters instead of nibbling. I watched him pitch against the Orioles last season and he was throwing 97 over the plate, getting strikes and getting ahead of hitters. What a shame the Pirates failed to bring out his potential when Tampa seems to have had so little trouble doing that.   

Nibble at the corners...  Whoever told him that should definitely have been fired.  Jeez.

Later in the show he said Cole had also been told to nibble and wasn't allowed to pitch to his strength until he got to Houston. 

If those words were said to Glasnow and Cole, you know it was an organizational philosophy. Getting rid of Searage may be better for guys like Brault as well. Brault has been an habitual nibbler and one who seems to not trust his stuff. There may be a lot of collateral growth here from getting a toxic maxim out like the need for pitchers to "nibble around the zone."
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

1E0327252B4E0 wrote: I just saw Tyler Glasnow interviewed on the MLB Network. He was asked what made him a better pitcher in Tampa. He said that the Pirates wanted him to nibble at the corners. He said in Tampa they recognized that that had not worked for him and wanted him to get back to what had made him successful (in the minors). He said they gave him confidence that his stuff was good enough to pitch aggressively and challenge hitters instead of nibbling. I watched him pitch against the Orioles last season and he was throwing 97 over the plate, getting strikes and getting ahead of hitters. What a shame the Pirates failed to bring out his potential when Tampa seems to have had so little trouble doing that.   

If those words were said to Glasnow and Cole, you know it was an organizational philosophy.  Getting rid of Searage may be better for guys like Brault as well.  Brault has been an habitual nibbler and one who seems to not trust his stuff.  There may be a lot of collateral growth here from getting a toxic maxim out like the need for pitchers to "nibble around the zone."

I am not a fan of nibbling but it seems like an excuse to me. Nibbling to me means throwing strikes on the corner and if you miss, you miss away from the plate. Maybe Cole and Glasnow didn't have enough command to do it.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Cervelli to sign with Florida for two million dollars.