The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

4A6C6D7A6C7C0F0 wrote: Just saw on the Trib that former Buc Jackie Hernandez passed away. He handled the last out in the 1971 World Series.

surprisingly, Baseball reference hasn't updated his page with this info yet.

I learned about it on facebook and Tommy John commented that Jackie was his catcher in 1961 and part of 1962.  It was their manager at that time that moved him from catcher to shortstop (think John said  Johnny Lipon was manager). With Gene Alley battling injuries Hernandez turned out to be an important player on the team.
I met Jackie a number of times at the fantasy camps and he was a favorite of everyone there. Just as nice a guy as you could meet and a good sense of humor. He had some great stories of having to room with Vic Daviliilo in 1971. Apparently, Davalillo was a wild man when he drank and Jackie was afraid to close his eyes when he tried to sleep. Jackie was also very popular with his teammates and they were all offended by Earl Weaver's comment that the Pirates would not win the WS with Hernandez at SS. They all felt very good about Jackie being the one to record the final out to win the series. Jackie loved working with kids teaching them baseball. I'm sure he was very good at that.
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

RIP Jackie Hernandez.

It was an unusual trade, Hernandez, Jim Campanis, and Bob Johnson for Freddy Patek, Jerry May, and Bruce Dal Canton. Each team dealt a shortstop, a catcher, and a right-handed pitcher. I think the Royals got the best of each part of that trade. Johnson had struck out over 200 batters in 1970, and the Pirates were hoping he'd be a durable starting pitcher for several years.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

5F6C7071727A4C716A766D6A7B77701E0 wrote: RIP Jackie Hernandez.

It was an unusual trade, Hernandez, Jim Campanis, and Bob Johnson for Freddy Patek, Jerry May, and Bruce Dal Canton.  Each team dealt a shortstop, a catcher, and a right-handed pitcher.  I think the Royals got the best of each part of that trade.  Johnson had struck out over 200 batters in 1970, and the Pirates were hoping he'd be a durable starting pitcher for several years.
Yes Johnson was certainly the key guy. Hernandez was a light hitting utility infielder and Campanis was at best a back up catcher. I recall hearing at the time that the Bucs offered a choice of either Alley or Patek but Patek was the obvious choice for age and health reasons. Patek was the starting SS for many years for KC, May was their primary catcher in 1971 and Dal Canton gave them a quality reliever. So the only way the trade would make sense for the Pirates was if Johnson was a stud. But Johnson never became the pitcher they thought he was. He later indicated drinking was a factor, particularly in his stint with the Pirates.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

123F32232435226261500 wrote: RIP Jackie Hernandez.

It was an unusual trade, Hernandez, Jim Campanis, and Bob Johnson for Freddy Patek, Jerry May, and Bruce Dal Canton.  Each team dealt a shortstop, a catcher, and a right-handed pitcher.  I think the Royals got the best of each part of that trade.  Johnson had struck out over 200 batters in 1970, and the Pirates were hoping he'd be a durable starting pitcher for several years.
Yes Johnson was certainly the key guy. Hernandez was a light hitting utility infielder and Campanis was at best a back up catcher. I recall hearing at the time that the Bucs offered a choice of either Alley or Patek but Patek was the obvious choice for age and health reasons. Patek was the starting SS for many years for KC, May was their primary catcher in 1971 and Dal Canton gave them a quality reliever. So the only way the trade would make sense for the Pirates was if Johnson was a stud. But Johnson never became the pitcher they thought he was. He later indicated drinking was a factor, particularly in his stint with the Pirates.

I remember reading that Johnson said drinking was a factor. At the time I wondered if he was having arm problems. He was decent in 1971 and had a better ERA in 1972 (didn't start as often though) and in 1973 when team needed him desparately he only started 2 games out of 50 appearances.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

On May 22, Gerrit Cole was 4-5 with a 4.11 ERA. After that he went 16-0 with a 1.78 ERA to finish the season 20-5. In the post season this year he's 3-0 with a 0.40 ERA. Why can't the Pirates get a pitcher like that? ::)
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Aledmys Diaz is not Argenis Diaz. Totally different person.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

Gerrit Cole must be quite a jerk. Moments after the WS ended, he sported a Boras Corp hat and said he was no longer an employee of the Astros. Wow.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/gerrit-c ... free-agent
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

486568797E6F78383B0A0 wrote: Gerrit Cole must be quite a jerk. Moments after the WS ended, he sported a Boras Corp had and said he was no longer an employee of the Astros. Wow.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/gerrit-c ... free-agent
I totally agree he is a jerk. He informs a reporter one hour after the 7 th game of the WS he is not an employee of the Astros. Sure we all know he is going to be a free agent, but I wonder how his teammates felt with that response. We all knew Russ Martin was probably gone after 2014 ,but he did not make any remarks like that. In my opinion Cole never wanted to be in Pittsburgh, and there are times I felt he did not give the Pirates his best.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

Kingham to Korea according MLB Trade Rumors:

Right-hander Nick Kingham has signed with SK Wyverns of the Korea Baseball Organization, Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic reports.

The 28-year-old Kingham is best known for his tenure with the Pirates, who chose him in the fourth round of the 2010 draft. Kingham eventually became a top 100 prospect, but the 6-foot-5 hurler has fallen flat in the majors since debuting in 2018. Across 131 2/3 innings in the bigs divided between Pittsburgh and Toronto, Kingham has managed a less-than-stellar 6.08 ERA/5.58 FIP with 7.86 K/9, 3.49 BB/9 and a 39.5 percent groundball rate.

[highlight]The soft-tossing Kingham, who has averaged less than 92 mph on his fastball,[/highlight] has been better in Triple-A ball. Kingham has posted a 4.00 ERA with 7.5 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 over 297 frames at that level. He’ll now try to outdo those figures and rebuild his stock in Korea.
PMike

The Departed

Post by PMike »

1D3B3A2D3B2B580 wrote: Kingham to Korea according MLB Trade Rumors:

Right-hander Nick Kingham has signed with SK Wyverns of the Korea Baseball Organization, Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic reports.

The 28-year-old Kingham is best known for his tenure with the Pirates, who chose him in the fourth round of the 2010 draft. Kingham eventually became a top 100 prospect, but the 6-foot-5 hurler has fallen flat in the majors since debuting in 2018. Across 131 2/3 innings in the bigs divided between Pittsburgh and Toronto, Kingham has managed a less-than-stellar 6.08 ERA/5.58 FIP with 7.86 K/9, 3.49 BB/9 and a 39.5 percent groundball rate.

[highlight]The soft-tossing Kingham, who has averaged less than 92 mph on his fastball,[/highlight] has been better in Triple-A ball. Kingham has posted a 4.00 ERA with 7.5 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 over 297 frames at that level. He’ll now try to outdo those figures and rebuild his stock in Korea.

What a disappointing career for Kingham.

I saw him pitch one of his first pro games in State College. He had a polish that no one else in the game (either team) had. Effortless velocity. I believe he was throwing in the mid 90s. He was so much better than anyone else. It was no surprise that he was soon a top 100 prospect. I think it is safe to say that he is the "bad results" of TJ surgery.