I don't want April to ever arrive
Dutton

Re: Official Game Thread - 3/31- Bucs @ Marlins

Post by Dutton »

We had em all the way!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

As bad as the base running was in game 1, what was never in question was the hustle the entire series. it was the difference in keeping innings alive, and contributed to the weekend wins for sure.

It was mentioned throughout the broadcast how many 2 out hits they had. That's the sign of a team that doesn't quit.

I wonder, who should get the credit for that?
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

I thought it was interesting when Hayes broke his bat in the 9th how he sprayed the barrel of the bat with the pine tar. George Brett must have been going nuts
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

It is a great start. Really liked how the bucs fell behind a few times
in this series and came back to win. I don't think any of us felt that the bucs would sweep this four game series.
Have one question. Is it too early to pull the plug on Falter? I have no confidence in him
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:03 am It is a great start. Really liked how the bucs fell behind a few times
in this series and came back to win. I don't think any of us felt that the bucs would sweep this four game series.
Have one question. Is it too early to pull the plug on Falter? I have no confidence in him
I don't think it's too early, but from a replacement standpoint, he's probably going to have to make another 3-5 starts. Ortiz would have to get stretched back out, and maybe he's pitching so well because he's embraced the bullpen role. I don't have any more confidence in Contreras to replace Falter.

After his start against the Orioles, they could skip a start, and his next time up would be the last game against the Mets, and they could go bullpen game with the off day.

After that, they'd need him to make at least two more starts when the Pirates swing west. By the time the Pirates come home first week of May, Skenes and Priester will have made 4-5 starts, and we'll know where they're at by then. They could also try stretching Ortiz back out in those starts, and Falter could be used as an opener.

So yeah, it would be great to pull the plug on him, but we already know Skenes isn't coming up that soon, Ortiz isn't stretched out, Contreras is just a big a question mark.

Also, by that time they should have an idea where the newly acquired alky is at.

So I think we're stuck with Falter for at least 5 more weeks.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:41 am
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:03 am It is a great start. Really liked how the bucs fell behind a few times
I don't think it's too early, but from a replacement standpoint, he's probably going to have to make another 3-5 starts. Ortiz would have to get stretched back out, and maybe he's pitching so well because he's embraced the bullpen role. I don't have any more confidence in Contreras to replace Falter.

After his start against the Orioles, they could skip a start, and his next time up would be the last game against the Mets, and they could go bullpen game with the off day.

After that, they'd need him to make at least two more starts when the Pirates swing west. By the time the Pirates come home first week of May, Skenes and Priester will have made 4-5 starts, and we'll know where they're at by then. They could also try stretching Ortiz back out in those starts, and Falter could be used as an opener.

So yeah, it would be great to pull the plug on him, but we already know Skenes isn't coming up that soon, Ortiz isn't stretched out, Contreras is just a big a question mark.

Also, by that time they should have an idea where the newly acquired alky is at.

If he pitches like today I cannot believe they would keep him in the rotation, or even on the roster for 5 weeks. He pitched poorly in ST, so at the minimum I would give him one additional start which will probably be Saturday.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I heard Shelton on the postgame, and he mentioned just about everyone on the roster played a role in these 4 wins. Sometimes when a team sweeps another team one or two players just carry the team. Different pitchers in the bullpen came up big this weekend. Several offensive players helped got runs across. This weekend was truly a team effort.
Dutton

Post by Dutton »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:06 am
Surgnbuck wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:41 am

If he pitches like today I cannot believe they would keep him in the rotation, or even on the roster for 5 weeks. He pitched poorly in ST, so at the minimum I would give him one additional start which will probably be Saturday.
Agree that Falter gets one more chance, tops. By then, we'll be ready to use someone in AAA to eat the sorry innings Falter has provided.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Obviously I love Oneil Cruz but every time I see him that movie with Arnold S. in it pops into my head, "Predator". ;)