Early free agency outlook

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Not sure that this subject fits the title thread, but...

I have to say, this Dansby Swanson signing by the Cubs- 177 for 7 has me a little concerned....I hope that I'm over-reacting.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Cubs get Swanson, could have saved a little bit of money had they kept Baez strangely enough.

Red Sox DFA Eric Hosmer. They only owe him something like 2.2 mill over three seasons still on his contract, Padres are paying him around 37.8 million in that span.

Eric Hosmer isn't on an MLB roster, and makes more than any Pirate player.

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

635641414A7341414A4D41240 wrote: Not sure that this subject fits the title thread, but...

I have to say, this Dansby Swanson signing by the Cubs- 177 for 7 has me a little concerned....I hope that I'm over-reacting. 

Interested to know what your concern is.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

012720353C30273139520 wrote: Not sure that this subject fits the title thread, but...

Makes me wonder how long we'll keep halfway decent guys with that kind of pricing. It isn't as much a commentary of the player as much as it is of the pricing in general.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

596C7B7B70497B7B70777B1E0 wrote: Not sure that this subject fits the title thread, but...

Makes me wonder how long we'll keep halfway decent guys with that kind of pricing.  It isn't as much a commentary of the player as much as it is of the pricing in general.

That's what I thought. The way it looks to me, all they can do is take the risk of identifying guys they feel will be part of a core all star caliber players, and extend them before they even hit arbitration, so as to get a year or two of FA in return. But if they can't take that risk, we already see how things will be.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

The Dodgers sign JD Martinez to a one year, $10 million contract. He’ll serve as their DH. He seems like one of baseball’s good guys.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

567077626B6770666E050 wrote: Not sure that this subject fits the title thread, but...

Makes me wonder how long we'll keep halfway decent guys with that kind of pricing.  It isn't as much a commentary of the player as much as it is of the pricing in general.

That's what I thought. The way it looks to me, all they can do is take the risk of identifying guys they feel will be part of a core all star caliber players, and extend them before they even hit arbitration, so as to get a year or two of FA in return. But if they can't take that risk, we already see how things will be.

I'm not attempting to be negative by this question. I ask it to learn because my memory isn't perfect.

How often have the Pirates bought out FA years for player(s) say in the past 10 seasons? I'm not sure if they've done this much. I've been under the impression that they've bought out some of the arb years. Am I mistaken?

Regardless, the cost of doing business doesn't appear to be going down any.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Step 1/First Things First (Take your pick)- Let's worry about this once we get more 'halfway decent guys,' I guess.  ;))  I'm going to bed.  Good night. I plan to dream that when I wake up tomorrow morning, you will read that someone is about to pay me $177 million over the course of the next seven years!  ;) 
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

794C5B5B50695B5B50575B3E0 wrote: Not sure that this subject fits the title thread, but...

I'm not attempting to be negative by this question.  I ask it to learn because my memory isn't perfect.

How often have the Pirates bought out FA years for player(s) say in the past 10 seasons?  I'm not sure if they've done this much.  I've been under the impression that they've bought out some of the arb years.  Am I mistaken?

Regardless, the cost of doing business doesn't appear to be going down any. 
They bought out one year of Tabata and options for a three more years, I googled it, I didn't know. He was 22. He's exactly what I'm saying in both scenarios. Lock them up younger, it's easier to do if your paying them big for their league minimum years in exchange for a couple FA years. However, if that player doesn't pan out, not a good thing.

I wonder if the business model for the big spending teams is now going to be spend like crazy, and you always have the trade deadline to plug any holes from teams like the Pirates.

Moneyball doesn't work, because it isn't a new concept. I'm starting to fear that teams like the Pirates new concept is, "hope we hit a HR on every draft, they all come up together, and catch lightning in a bottle before we have to blow it all up again."
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Your final paragraph is something that I've been thinking for some time now; as far back as before BC/Pirates.