7/21 Game Thread - Liriano Dominates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don't think they are going to be able to keep both Locke and Niese in the bullpen here for long. One has to go here soon either via trade or DFA. Especially since they are also talking about Vogelsong coming back and being ready to pitch soon. How do they plan on keeping Locke,Niese,and Vogelsong for long relief when you already got Nicasio in there as well for that role. Somebody has to go and go soon.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6D4A5B5F5A47784C5B5A5A473E0 wrote: I don't think they are going to be able to keep both Locke and Niese in the bullpen here for long. One has to go here soon either via trade or DFA. Especially since they are also talking about Vogelsong coming back and being ready to pitch soon. How do they plan on keeping Locke,Niese,and Vogelsong for long relief when you already got Nicasio in there as well for that role. Somebody has to go and go soon.

With all these long relief options why not save the arms of the young kids that they want to limit inning for and only start them and let them go 3 innings or 50 pitches. Then bring in all those "great" ;) long relief guys.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

14092D2F21440 wrote: Should feel?

They should feel like us and get rid of him.  But they obviously aren't at that point because he is still getting run out there.

They should feel like they have a limited amount of assets and need to maximize the value of every one of them.

Ouch.  Trying to maximize individual value at the cost of team wins sounds like a surefire way to always be very profitable, and perhaps never win a championship while doing so. 

Of course I didn't imply anything like that.

Yeah, I'm not following then. Maximizing the value of every asset when talking about baseball players means what? Value in a trade market value / talent return sense?
PMike

Post by PMike »

6F666E7F710B0 wrote: Should feel?

They should feel like us and get rid of him.  But they obviously aren't at that point because he is still getting run out there.

They should feel like they have a limited amount of assets and need to maximize the value of every one of them.

Ouch.  Trying to maximize individual value at the cost of team wins sounds like a surefire way to always be very profitable, and perhaps never win a championship while doing so. 

Of course I didn't imply anything like that.

Yeah, I'm not following then.   Maximizing the value of every asset when talking about baseball players means what?  Value in a trade market value / talent return sense?

Exactly. The FO wants to win championships.

I don't want to see Locke any more for the Pirates either, but I don't want them to give him away either. He has value. It's the job of the FO to get value for him. They were able to ship a pretty low value piece in Snider for two young pitchers a while back. That's why the GM gets paid the big bucks. Sometimes it takes patience so make this sorts of deals. But the Pirates can't afford to go around DFA'ing parts that have value.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5F4266646A0F0 wrote:

I don't want to see Locke any more for the Pirates either, but I don't want them to give him away either.  He has value.  It's the job of the FO to get value for him.  They were able to ship a pretty low value piece in Snider for two young pitchers a while back.  That's why the GM gets paid the big bucks.  Sometimes it takes patience so make this sorts of deals.  But the Pirates can't afford to go around DFA'ing parts that have value.

Neither you nor anyone else including the Pirates seems to want to see Locke pitch again. So let's not kid ourselves, his value is virtually nil. At best, maybe a low to mid-range prospect in A-ball. If you were a GM, how much would you give away to get Locke?
PMike

Post by PMike »

072A27363120377774450 wrote:

I don't want to see Locke any more for the Pirates either, but I don't want them to give him away either.  He has value.  It's the job of the FO to get value for him.  They were able to ship a pretty low value piece in Snider for two young pitchers a while back.  That's why the GM gets paid the big bucks.  Sometimes it takes patience so make this sorts of deals.  But the Pirates can't afford to go around DFA'ing parts that have value.

Neither you nor anyone else including the Pirates seems to want to see Locke pitch again. So let's not kid ourselves, his value is virtually nil. At best, maybe a low to mid-range prospect in A-ball. If you were a GM, how much would you give away to get Locke?

That's what I'm saying! That's exactly what Tarpley and Brault were when Snider was traded...mid range A prospects. One of those two has had an impact this year on the big league team. Just think if we would have DFA's Snider. They have to get something back.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

514C686A64010 wrote:

That's what I'm saying!  That's exactly what Tarpley and Brault were when Snider was traded...mid range A prospects.  One of those two has had an impact this year on the big league team.  Just think if we would have DFA's Snider.  They have to get something back.

But Snider was traded in the off season after having a good season as the Pirates' 4th outfielder. The Orioles felt he might win a starting job. Some Pirate fans were upset to lose him after his strong 2014. Locke is being shopped at a time when he is so bad they don't want him to start anymore. Snider was traded as a player with upside. Locke is being shopped as a player his team doesn't want because of poor performance.
PMike

Post by PMike »

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote:

That's what I'm saying!  That's exactly what Tarpley and Brault were when Snider was traded...mid range A prospects.  One of those two has had an impact this year on the big league team.  Just think if we would have DFA's Snider.  They have to get something back.

But Snider was traded in the off season after having a good season as the Pirates' 4th outfielder. The Orioles felt he might win a starting job.  Some Pirate fans were upset to lose him after his strong 2014. Locke is being shopped at a time when he is so bad they don't want him to start anymore. Snider was traded as a player with upside. Locke is being shopped as a player his team doesn't want because of poor performance.

Yep. That's true. As others have pointed out, I think a mid tier low A guy would work. Not looking for the moon. Just something.