Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Off Season Thread

Post by BenM »

What happened with Puig? His deal with the Braves fell through after he tested positive for the coronavirus and that was the end of his season. It doesn't look like any one else expressed any interest in him.
skinnyhorse

Off Season Thread

Post by skinnyhorse »

I'm totally disgusted that Cherington seems okay with the performance of Shelton. That really tells me a lot about him. This could be a very long rebuild just like the one we just went through only to see Huntington's ineptness year after year. I'm so tired of being patient with inept FO. Anyone who couldn't see just how horrible a job Shelton did isn't a real GM.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

756D6F68687F6E69747563060 wrote: I'm totally disgusted that Cherington seems okay with the performance of Shelton.  That really tells me a lot about him.  This could be a very long rebuild just like the one we just went through only to see Huntington's ineptness year after year.  I'm so tired of being patient with inept FO.  Anyone who couldn't see just how horrible a job Shelton did isn't a real GM.
Two possibilities: (1) Shelton was conforming to BC's wishes or (2) BC isn't about to admit that his first decision--the hiring of Shelton--was a terrible one.

Also, McClendon had an awful 1st year. But came back for an awful 2nd year. And came back for an awful 3rd year. And came back for an awful 4th year. And came back for most of an awful 5th year. We could be in for years of awful Shelton managing.

BTW-The Tigers were 21-29 when McClendon took over with 8 games left. He lost 6 of 8. So they played .420 ball before he took over and .250 ball after.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Looks like Ben's so busy defending Cruz that he doesn't have time to do anything about Shelton or anyone else.  NWWL.
JollyRoger

Off Season Thread

Post by JollyRoger »

120A080F0F18090E131204610 wrote: I'm totally disgusted that Cherington seems okay with the performance of Shelton.  That really tells me a lot about him.  This could be a very long rebuild just like the one we just went through only to see Huntington's ineptness year after year.  I'm so tired of being patient with inept FO.  Anyone who couldn't see just how horrible a job Shelton did isn't a real GM.

So we finally agree that a manager (Shelton) sucks.

Are you now ready to admit that Hurdle was not that bad?

After all Hurdle is ranked in the top 5 of Managers in the long history of the Pirates
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

"Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said in his end-of-season press conference that "we certainly have interest" in re-signing Kevin Gausman and Drew Smyly."

___

I wonder if Cherington has interest in re-signing anyone?
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

657E73727B7778160 wrote: "Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said in his end-of-season press conference that "we certainly have interest" in re-signing Kevin Gausman and Drew Smyly."

___

I wonder if Cherington has interest in re-signing anyone?
J.T. Riddle of course!!! Cherington is getting out the ceremonial pen. :D
skinnyhorse

Off Season Thread

Post by skinnyhorse »

496C6F6F7A516C646671030 wrote: I'm totally disgusted that Cherington seems okay with the performance of Shelton.  That really tells me a lot about him.  This could be a very long rebuild just like the one we just went through only to see Huntington's ineptness year after year.  I'm so tired of being patient with inept FO.  Anyone who couldn't see just how horrible a job Shelton did isn't a real GM.

After all Hurdle is ranked in the top 5 of Managers in the long history of the Pirates
No Hurdle was awful, he became to involved with the players which hurt the team. Managers have to be leaders not buddies with the players. He and NH put us in this hole. Have you not been watching Glasnow, Cole and others who have gone on to be stars. Hurdle had no idea what he was doing and they are proof, it's that simple.
SCBucco

Off Season Thread

Post by SCBucco »

263E3C3B3B2C3D3A272630550 wrote: I'm totally disgusted that Cherington seems okay with the performance of Shelton.  That really tells me a lot about him.  This could be a very long rebuild just like the one we just went through only to see Huntington's ineptness year after year.  I'm so tired of being patient with inept FO.  Anyone who couldn't see just how horrible a job Shelton did isn't a real GM.

No Hurdle was awful, he became to involved with the players which hurt the team.  Managers have to be leaders not buddies with the players.  He and NH put us in this hole.  Have you not been watching Glasnow, Cole and others who have gone on to be stars.  Hurdle had no idea what he was doing and they are proof, it's that simple.

TBH, I'm not sure Glasnow would have developed into a quality arm here if he stayed. I didn't like the deal for Archer mores because Meadows and Baez were sent there. Some dudes just need a change of scenery. I never thought he would do what he did with TB last year - not in a 1,000,000 years.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

7767665147474B240 wrote: I'm totally disgusted that Cherington seems okay with the performance of Shelton.  That really tells me a lot about him.  This could be a very long rebuild just like the one we just went through only to see Huntington's ineptness year after year.  I'm so tired of being patient with inept FO.  Anyone who couldn't see just how horrible a job Shelton did isn't a real GM.

No Hurdle was awful, he became to involved with the players which hurt the team.  Managers have to be leaders not buddies with the players.  He and NH put us in this hole.  Have you not been watching Glasnow, Cole and others who have gone on to be stars.  Hurdle had no idea what he was doing and they are proof, it's that simple.

TBH, I'm not sure Glasnow would have developed into a quality arm here if he stayed.  I didn't like the deal for Archer mores because Meadows and Baez were sent there.  Some dudes just need a change of scenery.  I never thought he would do what he did with TB last year - not in a 1,000,000 years.

To absolutely no surprise to anyone, Hurdle was a very good manager when his clubs had Andrew McCutchen and other guys and the team was WINNING.  Whatever complaints one read during those years were trivial.  The moment that BOB ditched those guys because they....wanted PAID....or, because doofus Huntington thought he was a trade genius......Hurdle's roster stunk......and, guess what.....all of a sudden Hurdle was a horrible manager and had to go.