Official Game Thread - 4/13 - Bucs vs Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6B4C5D595C417E4A5D5C5C41380 wrote: 15 strikeouts now for Alford in 19 at bats. That’s pretty hard to do. Seriously though as I said earlier this guy has to go period.
But he didn't lower his batting average.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

That’s a nice win for this Pirates team tonight. They have played much better baseball on this homestand so far compared to how things went in Cincinnati. Just need to take one of the next 2 to make it a winning homestand at 4-3.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

This has got to be one of the worst played and managed game I have ever seen. Just incompetent on all fronts, Alford, Diffo, Khul, Shelton, just clown like. All those listed need to be let go. How do they look at themself in the mirror and go pickup their checks.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Several days ago I posted that the Bucs need to give Alford enough at bats to see what he can do. Last year, before he was injured, he quickly hit 2 home runs. Well, I have now joined the send him to the alternate site camp. He is helpless against a breaking pitch (turns his shoulder away from the pitch) and he is overmatched by every fastball.

Like others, Shelton continues to befuddle me. I recognize that this team lacks talent (as I am sure that he does), but he has to find more than one reliever (Underwood) who can go multiple innings; and no, this does not include Onevido who he foolishly tried to use for 2 innings last night. Stratton and Holmes may be the best options among the current pitchers, or perhaps Crowe or Hartleib.

Continuing on Shelton, you have a short bench and you use your best reserve for tonight's game, Moran, to pinch-hit. So what do you do after he delivers, you return his butt to the bench rather than putting him and his bat at first, and then move Evans to RF to replace either Diffo or Alford (probably Alford since Diffo can play more positions.

Great to win a game against the Padres, but geez, it was an ugly game. Despite its ugliness, it was good to see some nice hitting by several Pirates.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

18343C3B3017203626550 wrote: Several days ago I posted that the Bucs need to give Alford enough at bats to see what he can do. Last year, before he was injured, he quickly hit 2 home runs.  Well, I have now joined the send him to the alternate site camp.   He is helpless against a breaking pitch (turns his shoulder away from the pitch) and he is overmatched by every fastball.

Like others, Shelton continues to befuddle me.  I recognize that this team lacks talent (as I am sure that he does), but he has to find more than one reliever (Underwood) who can go multiple innings; and no, this does not include Onevido who he foolishly tried to use for 2 innings last night.    Stratton and Holmes may be the best options among the current pitchers, or perhaps Crowe or Hartleib.

Continuing on Shelton, you have a short bench and you use your best reserve for tonight's game, Moran, to pinch-hit.  So what do you do after he delivers, you return his butt to the bench rather than putting him and his bat at first, and then move Evans to RF to replace either Diffo or Alford (probably Alford since Diffo can play more positions.

Great to win a game against the Padres, but geez, it was an ugly game.  Despite its ugliness, it was good to see some nice hitting by several Pirates. 
Shelton is indeed perplexing. There seems to be a disconnect between the moves he makes and any reasonable expectation that they will benefit the team. Obviously, it ultimately comes down to how the players perform on the field. But the manager's job is to utilize them in the most advantageous way. Far too often his moves simply defy logic. A manager should make decisions that help the team win; not force them to win despite his decisions. Maybe Shelton's a great leader until the game starts and then his weaknesses become apparent.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

446964757263743437060 wrote: 15 strikeouts now for Alford in 19 at bats. That’s pretty hard to do. Seriously though as I said earlier this guy has to go period.
But he didn't lower his batting average.
Don't see how Alford can stay on the club.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

243C3E39392E3F38252432570 wrote: This has got to be one of the worst played and managed game I have ever seen.  Just incompetent on all fronts,  Alford, Diffo, Khul, Shelton, just clown like.  All those listed need to be let go.  How do they look at themself in the mirror and go pickup their checks. 
Then what's it say about the Padres that they lost that crappy game? I'd say there was some bad playing on both sides.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I guess I’m the lone ranger on this, but: other than some awful pitching (but also some clutch pitching) I thought the Pirates played a good and entertaining game. They took advantage of the Padres’ mistakes by regularly moving runners with walks, bunts, steals and basehits. Assuming much of the game was managed, I thought this was Shelty’s best game.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7275636B6572353940676D61696C2E636F6D000 wrote: I guess I’m the lone ranger on this, but: other than some awful pitching (but also some clutch pitching) I thought the Pirates played a good and entertaining game.  They took advantage of the Padres’ mistakes by regularly moving runners with walks, bunts, steals and basehits. Assuming much of the game was managed, I thought this was Shelty’s best game. 

too bad it was nineteen hours long . . .

;)
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

172529293D0F2C25282D2225440 wrote: This has got to be one of the worst played and managed game I have ever seen.  Just incompetent on all fronts,  Alford, Diffo, Khul, Shelton, just clown like.  All those listed need to be let go.  How do they look at themself in the mirror and go pickup their checks. 
Then what's it say about the Padres that they lost that crappy game?  I'd say there was some bad playing on both sides.
It says to me their manager pulled their pitcher quickly after seeing he was not good. It says after we got the lead our manager sent the same awful pitcher with no control out again and again, he hit players left and right cause he had no idea where the ball was going and it was simple luck that we won that game. Our manager sends a guy to the plate who struck out 4 times in a row without even getting close to hitting the ball, leaves a guy on the field with a .000 batting average. This is a rerun of the incompetent CH. A manager's job is to help these players get better and put the best team on the field and that isn't happening. He has no idea what players can do. He may as well be managing by the STARS and for all I know he may very well be.