Game Day Thread 5/22/2021 Pirates (18-26) at Atlanta (21-24)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

022423363F3324323A510 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.
11 million doesn't buy much these days, but Shed's pleased with his performance

Shed equates a players talent with his income.  The more the player makes, the better he is in every case.  Thus, he thinks Polanco needs to be in the line-up everyday, choosing to ignore his lack of production. He claims to love the Pirates but I'm not so sure anymore.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5305130708120209041321060C00080D4F02610 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.

Shed equates a players talent with his income.  The more the player makes, the better he is in every case.  Thus, he thinks Polanco needs to be in the line-up everyday, choosing to ignore his lack of production.  He claims to love the Pirates but I'm not so sure anymore.
Maybe Shed is saying that Pirates management is too smart to pay a player more than he is worth and therefore as the highest paid Pirate Polanco is also the best Pirate. So it looks like Shed is the ultimate defender of Nutting, Cherington & Co. ;D
2drfischer@gmail.c

012C21303726317172430 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.

Shed equates a players talent with his income.  The more the player makes, the better he is in every case.  Thus, he thinks Polanco needs to be in the line-up everyday, choosing to ignore his lack of production.  He claims to love the Pirates but I'm not so sure anymore.
Maybe Shed is saying that Pirates management is too smart to pay a player more than he is worth and therefore as the highest paid Pirate Polanco is also the best Pirate. So it looks like Shed is the ultimate defender of Nutting, Cherington & Co.  ;D

When Shed reads that, his head will explode.
shedman

Post by shedman »

287E687C736979727F685A7D777B737634791A0 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.

________

I have tried to explain it to you many times before but it doesn't seem to be sinking in. But I will give it one more try. My only interest in Polanco is in who would replace him. I wish we had a whole team of players that were better than Polanco and I wouldn't care if they were LMG's. But if Polanco's replacement is going to be Alford, Fowler, Stokes, Cole Tucker, Hunter Owen, Tom, or Difo, I would rather have Polanco's 4 HR's and 5 stolen bases.. I don't care one bit how much he makes. It's not my money and if they get rid of Polanco, they are not going to lower ticket prices.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0A5C4A5E514B5B505D4A785F55595154165B380 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.

Maybe Shed is saying that Pirates management is too smart to pay a player more than he is worth and therefore as the highest paid Pirate Polanco is also the best Pirate. So it looks like Shed is the ultimate defender of Nutting, Cherington & Co.  ;D

So we change sheman's name to watermelon man!
shedman

Post by shedman »

75545C755E56310 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.

_______

When I was growing up my dad use to tell me that my skull must be 2 inches thick. If he had known Doc, my guess he would have said Doc's skull was 3 inches thick.
2drfischer@gmail.c

69727F7E777B741A0 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.

________

I have tried to explain it to you many times before but it doesn't seem to be sinking in.  But I will give it one more try.  My only interest in Polanco is in who would replace him.  I wish we had a whole team of players that were better than Polanco and I wouldn't care if they were LMG's.  But if Polanco's replacement is going to be Alford, Fowler, Stokes, Cole Tucker, Hunter Owen, Tom, or Difo, I would rather have Polanco's 4 HR's and 5 stolen bases..  I don't care one bit how much he makes.  It's not my money and if they get rid of Polanco, they are not going to lower ticket prices.

Nearly the entire team is better than Polanco.

You do care how much he makes.  You bring up his salary all the time as a reason to keep him.

2drfischer@gmail.c

5C474A4B424E412F0 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.

_______

When I was growing up my dad use to tell me that my skull must be 2 inches thick.  If he had known Doc, my guess he would have said Doc's skull was 3 inches thick.

That's the nicest thing you've ever said about me.
shedman

Post by shedman »

045244505F45555E534476515B575F5A1855360 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.

________

I have tried to explain it to you many times before but it doesn't seem to be sinking in.  But I will give it one more try.  My only interest in Polanco is in who would replace him.  I wish we had a whole team of players that were better than Polanco and I wouldn't care if they were LMG's.  But if Polanco's replacement is going to be Alford, Fowler, Stokes, Cole Tucker, Hunter Owen, Tom, or Difo, I would rather have Polanco's 4 HR's and 5 stolen bases..  I don't care one bit how much he makes.  It's not my money and if they get rid of Polanco, they are not going to lower ticket prices.

You do care how much he makes.  You bring up his salary all the time as a reason to keep him.

_______

Let's try this from a different angle. I would rather have Frazier than Polanco and Frazier makes less money. I would rather have eynolds than Polanco and Reynolds is a LMG. However, I would rather have Polanco than the OF's I mentioned upthread.
2drfischer@gmail.c

3E252829202C234D0 wrote: Another typical day for Polanco.  The guy's amazingly consistent.

________

_______

Let's try this from a different angle.  I would rather have Frazier than Polanco and Frazier makes less money.  I would rather have eynolds than Polanco and Reynolds is a LMG.  However, I would rather have Polanco than the OF's I  mentioned upthread.

Restricting ourselves to the outfielders you've listed, while none of them proved capable, it was at least worth giving them an opportunity during a year when even you predicted the team would win less than 50 games. While all of them failed offensively, all of them were/are better defensively. Remember, saving a run is equal to producing a run. So for that reason, some of those outfielders would actually be an improvement over Polanco.

The point is that Polanco has shown over the past several years that he's a considerable liability offensively, defensively, and being able to stay healthy. There's no point in continuing to play him for those reasons. He's lost all trade value, and he won't be here next year anyway. The best thing the Pirates can do in this lost season is to audition others for the RF job.

What continues to be a big problem is that there hasn't been even one outfielder within the system who can come to Pittsburgh and take his place. Huntington's inability to acquire even adequate talent has proven to be a disaster for the organization.