Official Game Thread - 6/8 - Bucs vs Dodgers

Post by Surgnbuck »

Perez hits a HR!

5-3!

No quit in the Bucs
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Dodgers bringing in Jansen....Roberts has had enough.

Talk about the what ifs in this game;;;;;;

Hayes-What if he touched first? What if he didn't slide past first?

Polanco-What if he hadn't committed a two base error?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

That's it folks
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

If I was Shelton, I would handcuff a first base to every player for a week. Maybe some of them will get it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6E5B4C4C477E4C4C47404C290 wrote: If I was Shelton, I would handcuff a first base to every player for a week.  Maybe some of them will get it.
And also present one to Will Craig as a parting gift.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Generally speaking the Pirates don't depress me anymore but what Hayes did last night just makes me think the Pirate way has got into his system and it really bums me out since he is my only Pirate hero.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5542544401070006000E370 wrote: Generally speaking the Pirates don't depress me anymore but what Hayes did last night just makes me think the Pirate way has got into his system and it really bums me out since he is my only Pirate hero.
There is definitely a systematic lack of attention to detail on this team. I can't even remember the last Pirate team that was sound fundamentally. Players, managers, coaches and GMs come and go and every spring pull out the same script and talk about focusing on fundamentals. And that ends the effort. Just read the script and then go on being the players' best friend and not holding them accountable for idiotic mistakes. Every year the same story. No one seems to know how to play the game. Fielding mistakes, running mistakes, pitching mistakes, batting mistakes, coaching mistakes. A pat on the back doesn't seem to be the cure.

Craig is a guy whose bat is never going to play in MLB and it was just a matter of time until his roster spot would be needed for someone else. But he was right back in the lineup after his historically boneheaded mistake that Shelton publicly blamed himself for. A couple weeks later he was DFA'd anyway. So why couldn't they have let him go the next day as a stern warning to everyone to get their act together? Polanco has demonstrated for years that he has no baseball IQ or ability. But that's never kept him out of the lineup. I don't care how good Hayes is, I wouldn't start him tonight. That won't be what keeps the Pirates out of the WS. But it might send a message that everyone is accountable no matter who you are. But of course that won't happen. Instead, this gross lack of fundamentals will be addressed next year in ST in the usual 30 second sequence when that yellow, brittle old script about stressing fundamentals is pulled out and read and then put away for next year.   
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I hope that the next Suspect we plan on hyping knows that it's called first base for a reason.

Other guys have to touch it first.

So do our guys.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: Generally speaking the Pirates don't depress me anymore but what Hayes did last night just makes me think the Pirate way has got into his system and it really bums me out since he is my only Pirate hero.
There is definitely a systematic lack of attention to detail on this team. I can't even remember the last Pirate team that was sound fundamentally. Players, managers, coaches and GMs come and go and every spring pull out the same script and talk about focusing on fundamentals. And that ends the effort. Just read the script and then go on being the players' best friend and not holding them accountable for idiotic mistakes. Every year the same story. No one seems to know how to play the game. Fielding mistakes, running mistakes, pitching mistakes, batting mistakes, coaching mistakes. A pat on the back doesn't seem to be the cure.

Craig is a guy whose bat is never going to play in MLB and it was just a matter of time until his roster spot would be needed for someone else. But he was right back in the lineup after his historically boneheaded mistake that Shelton publicly blamed himself for. A couple weeks later he was DFA'd anyway. So why couldn't they have let him go the next day as a stern warning to everyone to get their act together? Polanco has demonstrated for years that he has no baseball IQ or ability. But that's never kept him out of the lineup. I don't care how good Hayes is, I wouldn't start him tonight. That won't be what keeps the Pirates out of the WS. But it might send a message that everyone is accountable no matter who you are. But of course that won't happen. Instead, this gross lack of fundamentals will be addressed next year in ST in the usual 30 second sequence when that yellow, brittle old script about stressing fundamentals is pulled out and read and then put away for next year.   

Definitely agree.  Let's see if Ben drills down on system improvements.

29 other clubs think the same as the Pirates- that their development process is better than everyone else's.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

5B767B6A6D7C6B2B28190 wrote: Generally speaking the Pirates don't depress me anymore but what Hayes did last night just makes me think the Pirate way has got into his system and it really bums me out since he is my only Pirate hero.

I wouldn't dwell on this very long, he was hustling out of the box didn't think it was going out, now if he was in a home run trot and missed it that's inexcusable.  I personally don't think that should be reviewable come on the guy hit the ball out there is no doubt it was a home run.  Dodgers are a bunch of whiny brats.