Frazier traded to Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by Bobster21 »

Interesting tidbit in the PG about how Shelton told Frazier he was traded:

“I came off the field, and [manager Derek] Shelton took me down the tunnel,” Frazier explained. “He said, ‘Man, it’s been a pleasure.’ That was basically it.

“Then I was like, ‘Um, where am I going?’ He told me goodbye and didn’t tell me where I was going. I don’t know if they thought I could read Twitter from the field or something. It was crazy.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2107260126

Maybe Shelton's not the proverbial "player's manager."
2drfischer@gmail.c

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

426F62737465723231000 wrote: Interesting tidbit in the PG about how Shelton told Frazier he was traded:

“I came off the field, and [manager Derek] Shelton took me down the tunnel,” Frazier explained. “He said, ‘Man, it’s been a pleasure.’ That was basically it.

“Then I was like, ‘Um, where am I going?’ He told me goodbye and didn’t tell me where I was going. I don’t know if they thought I could read Twitter from the field or something. It was crazy.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2107260126

Maybe Shelton's not the proverbial "player's manager." 

I'm trying to think of a reason why Shelton wouldn't tell Frazier where he was traded to, and I can't come up with one. What a stupid, rude, and thoughtless thing to do.
GreenWeenie

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by GreenWeenie »

Is this guy anybody's manager? Come on.
ArnoldRothstein

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Do we know that Shelton knew where he was going? It seems they were talking to multiple teams. In the middle of a game, he might not care about anything but pulling Frazier and getting someone else on the field.
SammyKhalifa

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He gets a call to take the guy out, he takes the guy out.

I get criticizing people for things, but . . .
WiffleballHero

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by WiffleballHero »

Cherington had to keep the call to the dugout as short as possible, so they probably didn't get into specifics. Nutting's too cheap to buy an unlimited long-distance plan.

I'm envisioning Shelton handing Frazier's non-Pirates gear to him on a curb outside the ballpark in San Francisco and driving away to the airport on the team bus.
Bobster21

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by Bobster21 »

70424E4E5A684B424F4A4542230 wrote: He gets a call to take the guy out, he takes the guy out.

This is not random criticism of Shelton. Shelton wasn't merely told to take Frazier out. He was told that Frazier had been traded. Frazier was the one who seemed to think it was very odd.

"He told me goodbye and didn’t tell me where I was going. I don’t know if they thought I could read Twitter from the field or something. It was crazy.”

I find it very hard to believe that Shelton was only told Frazier had been traded but wasn't told to where. I can't imagine that phone call. I guess Frazier couldn't either. Per Frazier:

“I came off the field, and Shelton took me down the tunnel. He said, ‘Man, it’s been a pleasure.’ That was basically it."
WiffleballHero

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by WiffleballHero »

31030F0F1B290A030E0B0403620 wrote: He gets a call to take the guy out, he takes the guy out.

You'll have to hand in your Yinzer Card then. Maniacally criticizing the local baseball club for every real or imagined transgression is our regional pastime.
WiffleballHero

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by WiffleballHero »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: He gets a call to take the guy out, he takes the guy out.

This is not random criticism of Shelton. Shelton wasn't merely told to take Frazier out. He was told that Frazier had been traded. Frazier was the one who seemed to think it was very odd. 

"He told me goodbye and didn’t tell me where I was going. I don’t know if they thought I could read Twitter from the field or something. It was crazy.”

I find it very hard to believe that Shelton was only told Frazier had been traded but wasn't told to where. I can't imagine that phone call. I guess Frazier couldn't either. Per Frazier:

“I came off the field, and Shelton took me down the tunnel. He said, ‘Man, it’s been a pleasure.’ That was basically it."

That is bizarre if that's what happened. We only have one side of the story, however.
GreenWeenie

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by GreenWeenie »

714F40404A4344474A4A6E435449260 wrote: He gets a call to take the guy out, he takes the guy out.

You'll have to hand in your Yinzer Card then.  Maniacally criticizing the local baseball club for every real or imagined transgression is our regional pastime.

It's not just that.

It's our birthright! :)