Official Game Thread 7/28/2021 Brewers vs. Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: Story's first MLB hits were 4 HRs, a single and 2 HRs. So Castro must be the only one to have 5 HRs for his first 5 hits.
Yep, Brown confirmed it!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

173A37262130276764550 wrote: OMG! Castro with 5 MLB hits/5 HRs. 
That's the record.

It's why I tell people, you never leave a game if possible, you never know what kind of record you may see
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: OMG! Castro with 5 MLB hits/5 HRs. 

Is Castro able to play SS at the major league level?  Now's the time to find out.  Play him there everyday the rest of the way.  There's no question he has power.  So if he can play defensively up to the standard Newman plays SS, there's no reason to ever have Newman start another game.

I'm curious about him playing SS because Nick Gonzales is likely going to be the 2Bman of the future, maybe as early as the end of next season.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1F495F4B445E4E45485F6D4A404C4441034E2D0 wrote: OMG! Castro with 5 MLB hits/5 HRs. 

Is Castro able to play SS at the major league level?  Now's the time to find out.  Play him there everyday the rest of the way.  There's no question he has power.  So if he can play defensively up to the standard Newman plays SS, there's no reason to ever have Newman start another game.

I'm curious about him playing SS because Nick Gonzales is likely going to be the 2Bman of the future, maybe as early as the end of next season.
His minor league SS stats are off the charts bad. 54 errors in 584 chances. Which works out to an error every 11 chances.  As he progressed thru the system he started playing more 2B and 3B (mostly 2B) and less SS. Of course there's nothing to lose by trying him there. But I doubt he is the SS of the future.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: OMG! Castro with 5 MLB hits/5 HRs. 

His minor league SS stats are off the charts bad. 54 errors in 584 chances. Which works out to an error every 11 chances.  As he progressed thru the system he started playing more 2B and 3B (mostly 2B) and less SS. Of course there's nothing to lose by trying him there. But I doubt he is the SS of the future.

Who cares about defense!?

Just tell him to knock the ball down. Don’t pick it up, just knock the ball down and stand there until one of his teammates gets there. Then, get up there and hit another homer!!

2drfischer@gmail.c

577A77666170672724150 wrote: OMG! Castro with 5 MLB hits/5 HRs. 

Thanks. If he's going to stick at 2B, he's going to have to be really good because I expect Nick Gonzales will be given every opportunity to play there.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1C4A5C48475D4D464B5C6E49434F4742004D2E0 wrote: OMG! Castro with 5 MLB hits/5 HRs. 

Thanks.  If he's going to stick at 2B, he's going to have to be really good because I expect Nick Gonzales will be given every opportunity to play there.

Also, Castro has hit for power but not for average in the minors. If he can't play SS, hits for a low BA, and they have Hayes and Gonzalez in the infield, maybe Castro could get some OF and 1B experience and be a super sub. Power off the bench and also getting 3-4 starts a week while different players get the Pirates high priority rest treatment might work.
2drfischer@gmail.c

022F22333425327271400 wrote: OMG! Castro with 5 MLB hits/5 HRs. 

Thanks.  If he's going to stick at 2B, he's going to have to be really good because I expect Nick Gonzales will be given every opportunity to play there.

Also, [highlight]Castro has hit for power but not for average[/highlight] in the minors. If he can't play SS, hits for a low BA, and they have Hayes and Gonzalez in the infield, maybe Castro could get some OF and 1B experience and be a super sub. Power off the bench and also getting 3-4 starts a week while different players get the Pirates high priority rest treatment might work.

I was just looking at his minor league numbers and saw that. He's also struck out a lot. Looks like the outfield or super utility player is his future.