Official Game Thread - 8/10 - Cards vs Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

617A77767F737C120 wrote: Nope....Polanco keeps Polancoing
Polanco is making these meaningless games meaningful with every AB to see if he can end the season at or above the Mendoza line.
_______

A better question is "will Alford end the season below .100?
A better question is " will Polanco"?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I should have added Seattle to the chasing mediocrity list. Cleveland and The Loo had division aspirations and they both know how to retool.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Some of those teams- the Cubs, in particular, started this year, but will probably continue.  So, we can look at it two ways

One would be as you say- late start on this year.  Another way- early start on next year.

Regardless, success and futility have their flows, ups and downs.

Our flow's seemingly permanent.  We know the reason.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: Nope....Polanco keeps Polancoing
Polanco is making these meaningless games meaningful with every AB to see if he can end the season at or above the Mendoza line.

He's six for his last 45 times at bat (all singles by the way), a .133 average.  He should hope Shelton benches him the rest of the way so he doesn't slide below the Mendoza Line and create a new low standard.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

772137232C36262D2037052228242C296B26450 wrote: Nope....Polanco keeps Polancoing

He's six for his last 45 times at bat (all singles by the way), a .133 average.  He should hope Shelton benches him the rest of the way so he doesn't slide below the Mendoza Line and create a new low standard.
Polanco is in a similar situation to Pedro Alvarez in 2015. Both had been hyped as important players to the Pirates. Both were disappointing. When the Pirates let Alvarez go in 2016 it was the beginning of the end of his career. No other MLB team saw him as anything more than a low average hitter with power and a liability in the field. Polanco continues to start for the team that always hyped him as an up and coming star. The Pirates had incentive to give him every chance to make good on their promises and didn't really have much else to replace him with. He won't be back next year and no other team will see him as anything more than a fringe player who neither hits nor fields well enough to justify significant, if any, playing time. Whatever he can produce between now and the end of the season could be the difference between finding a spot on the bench of another MLB team next year or continuing his career in Mexico or Korea or some other foreign league. Just staying above .200 will be important for him since there is a stigma associated with not even being able to do that minimal amount.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

684548595E4F58181B2A0 wrote: Nope....Polanco keeps Polancoing

Polanco is in a similar situation to Pedro Alvarez in 2015. Both had been hyped as important players to the Pirates. Both were disappointing. When the Pirates let Alvarez go in 2016 it was the beginning of the end of his career. No other MLB team saw him as anything more than a low average hitter with power and a liability in the field. Polanco continues to start for the team that always hyped him as an up and coming star. The Pirates had incentive to give him every chance to make good on their promises and didn't really have much else to replace him with. He won't be back next year and no other team will see him as anything more than a fringe player who neither hits nor fields well enough to justify significant, if any, playing time. Whatever he can produce between now and the end of the season could be the difference between finding a spot on the bench of another MLB team next year or continuing his career in Mexico or Korea or some other foreign league. Just staying above .200 will be important for him since there is a stigma associated with not even being able to do that minimal amount.

I can see him signing on with a Mexican League team. He might even be able to start out like he'd hit above .250 with 20 HRs against that pitching. But I wouldn't bet that he could finish a season with those numbers. I'm guessing he'd see lots of junk from those guys who would all love to get out a former major leaguer.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I agree with all.

The result doesn't change; just a point to bring up. Unlike Alvarez, some of Polanco's issue is injury-related.

The Alvarez case is why I put only so much credence in drafts.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Back to the Cubs and other teams.

Shows one result of the Second Wild Card: Go For It vs. Backing Off?

My guess is that the Cubs (and other clubs) thought that they "had a shot" before the season began. They underestimated the Brewers, undererestimated other NL clubs, overestimated themselves, or all of that.

So, they did the about-face in August rather than earlier.

We'll see more of that, I'm sure. It's "the thing" these days and makes already bad baseball worse.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4C796E6E655C6E6E65626E0B0 wrote: Back to the Cubs and other teams. 

Shows one result of the Second Wild Card:  Go For It vs. Backing Off?

My guess is that the Cubs (and other clubs) thought that they "had a shot" before the season began.  They underestimated the Brewers, undererestimated other NL clubs, overestimated themselves, or all of that.

So, they did the about-face in August rather than earlier.

We'll see more of that, I'm sure.  It's "the thing" these days and makes already bad baseball worse.

there is no shame in finishing last or next to last anymore. But that is because the benefits of finishing lower are higher. Somehow baseball needs to figure out how to counteract that.

Perhaps there needs to be a lottery system but then you could have teams tanking to get into the lottery.
shedman

Post by shedman »

You guys are over thinking Polanco. The reason Polanco is playing is that 11>5>3>2>1>0 and 13>1>0, and Cherington is just too incompetent to acquire a player better than 11/13. Some other team will pick up Polanco immediately and he will go on to be a 20/20 player and that team just won't care if he gets 1 less hit every 20 AB's!!!