Bryan Reynolds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm confused.  Does he want traded, or does he want an extension?  Hard to do both, so choose one.

He said that nothing has changed In the time since his request was made, so which is it?

If nothing has changed, as he's said that it hasn't, then he wants traded and just not saying so.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

724750505B6250505B5C50350 wrote: I'm confused.  Does he want traded, or does he want an extension?  Hard to do both, so choose one.

He said that nothing has changed In the time since his request was made, so which is it?

If nothing has changed, as he's said that it hasn't, then he wants traded and just not saying so.
He asked to be traded after talks about an extension broke down because Reynolds felt the Pirates' offer was far too low. So it sounds like he still wants to stay but only at the right price. The trade request is contingent on failing to agree on an extension. So both scenarios apply.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: I'm confused.  Does he want traded, or does he want an extension?  Hard to do both, so choose one.

He asked to be traded after talks about an extension broke down because Reynolds felt the Pirates' offer was far too low. So it sounds like he still wants to stay but only at the right price. The trade request is contingent on failing to agree on an extension. So both scenarios apply.
It seems to me he doesn’t want Nuttings first born, but he wants something fair for both parties. The way he has performed in the past, that seems fair. The way he plays the game that should be an example for the younger players in camp.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

4F4342191019111C1B041E290 wrote: I'm confused.  Does he want traded, or does he want an extension?  Hard to do both, so choose one.

It seems to me he doesn’t want Nuttings first born, but he wants something fair for both parties. The way he has performed in the past, that seems fair. The way he plays the game that should be an example for the younger players in camp.
Unless Nutting changes his approach to ownership he will have no interest in making a fair offer to Reynolds.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7B565B4A4D5C4B0B08390 wrote: I'm confused.  Does he want traded, or does he want an extension?  Hard to do both, so choose one.

Unless Nutting changes his approach to ownership he will have no interest in making a fair offer to Reynolds.
You hit the nail on the head. That is sad that Nutting operates that way.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

He only wants to "stay" if he gets paid, and he knows that he won't get what he wants.  So, we're back where it began. The difference is that he's not saying the wrong things.

Play.  Do well.  Help the team.  That's his best action to take, IMO.  That's how the system works.  No different for Reynolds than anyone else.
maher.timothy20@gm

Bryan Reynolds

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I'm doubling down on my assertion that they will re-sign him. He wants to stay, clearly.
WildwoodDave2

Bryan Reynolds

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

39353C31267A203D393B203C2D6664143339540 wrote: I'm doubling down on my assertion that they will re-sign him. He wants to stay, clearly.
I saw his first club house interview. Was very honest. Wants to

stay but obviously wants what he considers a fair deal.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

Nobody likes being lowballed.  Nobody.  It leaves a sour taste in one's mouth.

I guarantee that, even though the Yankees finally coughed up the money to pay Aaron Judge what he was looking for, that Judge will never forget what he had to do to get it through Steinbrenner's mind before he paid it.

I'm not banging on Reynolds.  Far from that.  Let's face it.  He isn't Andrew McCutchen, who was a fairly recent MVP, who helped lead his club to three post-season appearances.  Even so, the Pirates didn't pay him what he as seeking.  And, that was a lot less than I'm sure what Reynolds expects.

They are $50 million apart. No one disputed the numbers much. $50 million. That's how much they're apart. The Pirates aren't known to go that high in total on many players.

And, that only addresses the money factor.  It doesn't even begin to consider whether Reynolds will think that the Pirates will be a top-contending club anytime soon. 

I'd be surprised if Reynolds is not dealt at the TDL.
maher.timothy20@gm

Bryan Reynolds

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Don't know why I'm optimistic.

Pessimism is surely justified.

I was on a long run of pessimism dating at least back to Felipe Vazquez but I'm coming around. I think they're going to sign him.