3 C Joey Bart R
4 1B Rowdy Tellez L
5 LF B. De La Cruz R
6 3B K. Hayes R
7 CF M. Taylor R
8 RF Ji Hwan Bae L
9 2B Jared Triolo R
SP Bailey Falter L

Can Shelty pull another rabbit out of his hat? For some reason, his hat doesn't include his best hitter in Reynolds. Shelty still needs to go.
Will leave it to Surge to find out why Reynolds is not playing today
today was the Sunday lineup. Tomorrow Woodford is starting and they'll need their best hitting lineup. Just my guess
Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/17 - Bucs vs Mariners

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:01 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 4:51 pm
Possum wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:40 pm Mariners

1 CF V. Robles R
2 LF R. Arozarena R
3 DH J. Rodriguez R
4 2B J. Polanco S
5 1B J. Turner R
6 3B Dylan Moore R
7 RF M. Haniger R
8 C Mitch Garver R
9 SS Leo Rivas S
SP Luis Castillo R

Bucs

1 SS I. Kiner-Falefa R
2 DH Oneil Cruz L
3 C Joey Bart R
4 1B Rowdy Tellez L
5 LF B. De La Cruz R
6 3B K. Hayes R
7 CF M. Taylor R
8 RF Ji Hwan Bae L
9 2B Jared Triolo R
SP Bailey Falter L

Can Shelty pull another rabbit out of his hat? For some reason, his hat doesn't include his best hitter in Reynolds. Shelty still needs to go.
Will leave it to Surge to find out why Reynolds is not playing today
today was the Sunday lineup. Tomorrow Woodford is starting and they'll need their best hitting lineup. Just my guess
So, the “best hitting line-up” will substitute Joe for Bae?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Bae making 2 tremendous plays really helped contribute to the win, especially the diving catch with bases loaded. I was getting tired of seeing the mariners keep getting hits on soft contact, as most of theirs were against Falter.

We needed something from the 6-7-8 guys in the order. They were a combined 0-12. It amazed a lot of us that you can have that in the lineup and still manage to score 7 runs.

Still not sold on Bae. But he did have a drive to the warning track in CF that Robles made a nice running catch on.

Hayes last at bat, I'm crossing my fingers, he finally hit the ball solid and got it in the air, but lined out. His other AB's, his swing looked like he was chopping wood. With IKF and Nicky G, Hayes is really looking expendable. Doesn't help his cause when Triolo is a very good defender too, and his offensive production is similar in 91 fewer AB's: They have the same number of XBH, Triolo has driven in 3 more runners. Triolo though, 80 K's. I swear today was the first time I've seen him actually swing a bat in a long while. He's usually just striking out looking. Wouldn't surprise me in the least they trade Hayes, and it would probably be for relief pitching.

Taylor was disappointing because he was starting to hit the ball, and put it in play. Three strikeouts today, whoof.

I felt Shelty overmanaged. Very questionable decision to bring in Nicolas, even more questionable it was only for one batter. I guess he didn't want him back out there in the 7th which would have probably made him unavailable for Sunday. Santana was fantastic. Some of us didn't notice the pitching change and thought Santana went back out for the three inning save. I will give Shelton credit for the quick hook on German though.

I told you all yesterday that Bednar seemed to change right before our eyes after the HR-single. He was awesome today. Even if that blooper evades Bae, Bednar looked like he would have had no problems finishing them off.

They have to upgrade on German.

Arozarena and Moore- 0-5 with 5 K's, 0-4 with 4 K's. Very Piratey!!!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc, look at the roster. Someone has to play that can't.

No telling why Reynolds wasn't out there. My guess is he is 0-11 in 13 career plate appearances against Castillo. I'm certain that had something to do with it, so if chances are he's going to go 0-4, let someone else see if they can do better. Theoretically, Bae was his replacement today and he didn't get a hit. But if BDLC is in RF today, two catches that Bae made aren't going to be made by BDLC, and the game has a completely different story, so in this end, it really paid off. Shelton made the right call on this one.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:32 pm Doc, look at the roster. Someone has to play that can't.

No telling why Reynolds wasn't out there. My guess is he is 0-11 in 13 career plate appearances against Castillo. I'm certain that had something to do with it, so if chances are he's going to go 0-4, let someone else see if they can do better. Theoretically, Bae was his replacement today and he didn't get a hit. But if BDLC is in RF today, two catches that Bae made aren't going to be made by BDLC, and the game has a completely different story, so in this end, it really paid off. Shelton made the right call on this one.
My theory is and it's only correct 50% of the time :lol: is if Reynolds is 0-11 against Castillo, he is overdue.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:26 pm Bae making 2 tremendous plays really helped contribute to the win, especially the diving catch with bases loaded. I was getting tired of seeing the mariners keep getting hits on soft contact, as most of theirs were against Falter.

We needed something from the 6-7-8 guys in the order. They were a combined 0-12. It amazed a lot of us that you can have that in the lineup and still manage to score 7 runs.

Still not sold on Bae. But he did have a drive to the warning track in CF that Robles made a nice running catch on.

Hayes last at bat, I'm crossing my fingers, he finally hit the ball solid and got it in the air, but lined out. His other AB's, his swing looked like he was chopping wood. With IKF and Nicky G, Hayes is really looking expendable. Doesn't help his cause when Triolo is a very good defender too, and his offensive production is similar in 91 fewer AB's: They have the same number of XBH, Triolo has driven in 3 more runners. Triolo though, 80 K's. I swear today was the first time I've seen him actually swing a bat in a long while. He's usually just striking out looking. Wouldn't surprise me in the least they trade Hayes, and it would probably be for relief pitching.

Taylor was disappointing because he was starting to hit the ball, and put it in play. Three strikeouts today, whoof.

I felt Shelty overmanaged. Very questionable decision to bring in Nicolas, even more questionable it was only for one batter. I guess he didn't want him back out there in the 7th which would have probably made him unavailable for Sunday. Santana was fantastic. Some of us didn't notice the pitching change and thought Santana went back out for the three inning save. I will give Shelton credit for the quick hook on German though.

I told you all yesterday that Bednar seemed to change right before our eyes after the HR-single. He was awesome today. Even if that blooper evades Bae, Bednar looked like he would have had no problems finishing them off.

They have to upgrade on German.

Arozarena and Moore- 0-5 with 5 K's, 0-4 with 4 K's. Very Piratey!!!

I certainly wouldn't be sorry to see Hayes go
UtahPirate2

Post by UtahPirate2 »

Bobster wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:55 pm Block doesn't understand the check swing rule. It's not about breaking the wrist. Block knows so little about baseball!
Oh my gosh, I was so irritated when he said that. It is Little League mother logic - right alongside of "It hit his glove so that's an error."
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:32 pm Doc, look at the roster. Someone has to play that can't.

I was being serious. Joe has to play over Bae for that extra 30 points of batting average.