Early free agency outlook

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

The New York Mets payroll for 2023 is 340 Million well above the highest threshold of 293 million not sure what the penalty is. Something Bob will never have to worry about
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

7846434B5840404B6B4E594A1D2F0 wrote: The New York Mets payroll for 2023 is 340 Million well above the highest threshold of 293 million not sure what the penalty is. Something Bob will never have to worry about

I feel like the era of "it's not worth it to give a big contract to a player in their late '20s/early '30s" is over.

A lot of the big spenders weren't big spenders just a few years ago--Mets, Phillies, Padres, Astros. Not sure what happened--did the owners just change their minds? Is that a thing that can happen?????
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

My guess is- there's more revenue coming to teams than ever.

Specific to the Mets- their owner is a fan. His passion may be equal to his financial means.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2D212825326E34292D2F342839727000272D400 wrote: The New York Mets payroll for 2023 is 340 Million well above the highest threshold of 293 million not sure what the penalty is. Something Bob will never have to worry about

I feel like the era of "it's not worth it to give a big contract to a player in their late '20s/early '30s" is over.

A lot of the big spenders weren't big spenders just a few years ago--Mets, Phillies, Padres, Astros. Not sure what happened--did the owners just change their minds? Is that a thing that can happen?????
Concerning the Phillies, when they hired Dave Dombrowski as President of Baseball Operations, things changed. Hew has an excellent track record
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Correa signs with the Giants for 13 years at $350 million. That should cover him just about all the way until he can collect his Social Security.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I just read a tweet from Jason Stark who notes that the Giants, Yankees and Mets have spent a third of a billion dollars on free agents this offseason,while the Reds , Brewers, Marlins, Braves , and Mariners have spent a total of 3 million dollars between all 5 teams. Yes, the Pirates are not one of the lowest spending teams so far this offseason, and the Braves have the market to escape the bottom rung of non spending teams. My point is, which we all know, is that baseball’s financial situation is totally broken. Somehow this inequality must be resolved, in order to preserve the great game of baseball.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Seems to be doing well for some people.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Scott McGough of Plum Boro, who's been a big reliever in Japan for a few years, signed with the D-backs for 2 years, $7 million.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

All quiet on the Pirates front. I think the FO staff all took off for vacation after the Winter Meetings. I am so surprised they have not added another starting pitcher.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7F7372292029212C2B342E190 wrote: All quiet on the Pirates front. I think the FO staff all took off for vacation after the Winter Meetings. I am so surprised they have not added another starting pitcher.

Chances are the Pirates will add a starting pitcher, just don’t count on him being impactful. The team will wait until all those kinds of pitchers are signed before seriously entering the market. An impactful pitcher is the kind the team needs but, alas, won’t pay for. We’ve seen this movie before.