Glasnow and Bell...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NCBuccofan

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by NCBuccofan »

1E39283B287C7474757C4D0 wrote: Where is the list of national league pitchers with sustained success striking out less than 6.5 per 9IP?

We have 2 guys in the rotation who can't get over that tremendous hurdle, even facing the opposing pitcher 2-3 times a game.

Greg Maddox and Tom Glavine were decent.

So were Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson. Clayton Kershaw was nearly at 5 walks per 9 his only full minor league season.
NCBuccofan

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by NCBuccofan »

7A5D4C5F4C1810101118290 wrote: While you guys are delving in the early 1990's and much, much earlier to find a list of pitchers with 6.5k/9 or lower in the NL with sustained success in your defense of Glasnow not being ready.  He just got the callup for this weekend.

So he's ready now, right?  Overnight, he became ready.  last night, walked to many.   This morning, ready to rock. ;D

Or yall disagree with the FO decision to call him up, because he's still not ready?

Tim Hudson and Mark Buerhle have had considerable recent success without striking a lot of guys out at a greater than 6.5 / 9 . That's without looking too deeply into the matter.

No, I still don't think he's ready to improve the rotation and I think this is a bad move potentially in the short and long run. I'd have liked to see him show improved walks / length for at least another couple of starts in Indy, but I guess we'll find out. Struggling or not, he's being throw right into the fire with the Cubs as well. They have the best walk rate in baseball so it's kind of a bad matchup.

Have you looked at the current rotation? Who would Glasnow not be an upgrade over? And he is facing the Cards.
NCBuccofan

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by NCBuccofan »

7D4F43435765464F4247484F2E0 wrote: Yeah if he continues to walk six guys a game we just have a rotation with two broken Francisco Lirianos, what's the point.  Hopefully he doesn't do that. 

True/False

Liriano in his current state would absolutely destroy three months of AAA hitters.

You act like Liriano was Mr Control prior to this year. Liriano's H/9 has increased, that is a bigger problem than his walks. And the HRs.
NCBuccofan

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by NCBuccofan »

0C3E32322614373E3336393E5F0 wrote: i do hope that the silliness of this "hes not ready" argument is not being lost on people.  his ERA is 1.70.    he is giving up less than 6 hits per 9 and almost striking out 11.   his walk rate is 4.9 per 9.    if his walk rate were 3.6 per 9 and he was giving up 7.5 hits per 9 he would be allowing EXACTLY the same number of baserunners and everyone would be fine with it. he would be ready lol.

its not that hes not ready, its more like hes not perfect.   as Kuhl and now brault and his 1.40+ whip get called up as "ready "

Well don't you think that might mean they're seeing something we're not?  They're not holding him down for fun.  And it's not like they're being shy about calling up other guys.  There are all sorts of convoluted theories one could come up with as to why they're keeping him down specifically, but the simplest one seems to be that they actually believe what they're saying. 

Guess not.

What do you mean?  They first called up everyone but. 

He would have been up instead of Brault if he had not just pitched. The reason being cited for holding him down is not why they held him down. It should be rather obvious.
NCBuccofan

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by NCBuccofan »

05001704522320610 wrote: My point is that it is pretty difficult to find a pitcher that was successful in the major leagues after having a minor league track record with a 4.0 or higher walk rate. I've done a good bit of research on this. Even the most erratic major leaguers almost always had a walk rate lower than 4 per 9'IP in the minors.

How many gave up 5.3 hits per 9? 30% of the batters he is facing do not even put the ball in play. How common is that?

Care to share any of the research?
Steve19981

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by Steve19981 »

1D10112630303C35323D530 wrote: While you guys are delving in the early 1990's and much, much earlier to find a list of pitchers with 6.5k/9 or lower in the NL with sustained success in your defense of Glasnow not being ready.  He just got the callup for this weekend.

So he's ready now, right?  Overnight, he became ready.  last night, walked to many.   This morning, ready to rock. ;D

Or yall disagree with the FO decision to call him up, because he's still not ready?

Tim Hudson and Mark Buerhle have had considerable recent success without striking a lot of guys out at a greater than 6.5 / 9 . That's without looking too deeply into the matter.

No, I still don't think he's ready to improve the rotation and I think this is a bad move potentially in the short and long run. I'd have liked to see him show improved walks / length for at least another couple of starts in Indy, but I guess we'll find out. Struggling or not, he's being throw right into the fire with the Cubs as well. They have the best walk rate in baseball so it's kind of a bad matchup.

Have you looked at the current rotation?  Who would Glasnow not be an upgrade over?  And he is facing the Cards.

I can't say with any real certainty that he would better than anyone.

Here's my thing. The walks aren't likely to decrease, the K's almost certainly are. The hits against should increase as well. Teams are going to score runs off him and if his fastball or his curve isn't working on a given night to get ahead in counts, can we say that his change is ready and will bail him out?

I think he's going to have some really good nights, but I would expect quite a few where he doesn't get out of the fourth either. I've been saying the same thing for Jeff Locke.

dmetz

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by dmetz »

4E69786B782C2424252C1D0 wrote: While you guys are delving in the early 1990's and much, much earlier to find a list of pitchers with 6.5k/9 or lower in the NL with sustained success in your defense of Glasnow not being ready.  He just got the callup for this weekend.

Have you looked at the current rotation?  Who would Glasnow not be an upgrade over?  And he is facing the Cards.

I can't say with any real certainty that he would better than anyone.

Here's my thing. The walks aren't likely to decrease, the K's almost certainly are. The hits against should increase as well. Teams are going to score runs off him and if his fastball or his curve isn't working on a given night to get ahead in counts, can we say that his change is ready and will bail him out?

I think he's going to have some really good nights, but I would expect quite a few where he doesn't get out of the fourth either. I've been saying the same thing for Jeff Locke.

Alright. You're now on record as Glasnow being comparable to Locke lol. Ur nothing if not gutsy :o
ChitownBucco

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by ChitownBucco »

Bell 4-5 with his 13th HR today
Steve19981

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by Steve19981 »

202921303E440 wrote:

Alright.  You're now on record as Glasnow being comparable to Locke lol.   Ur nothing if not gutsy  :o

Long run, I think Glasnow is a lot better but right now, results will probably be similar.
dmetz

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by dmetz »

6146574457030B0B0A03320 wrote:

Alright.  You're now on record as Glasnow being comparable to Locke lol.   Ur nothing if not gutsy  :o

Long run, I think Glasnow is a lot better but right now, results will probably be similar.

Well Locke has been good his last 3-4starts. Is he the weakest link in the rotation? Dognot has been making the case that Locke has been our best starter this year.

Do you think he's the worst?