Game thread 7/23 - Glasnow Home Debut

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

I think the frustrations I'm seeing with Glasnow are way overblown. How many bad outings has FL or GC had this year and I don't hear the world has ended for these pitchers. He had a bad game. They had some fluky hits and he walked several, heck FL has done that just about every start this year. He need to be better but it's one game. Wow I can't believe I'm preaching patience.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Watching Glasnow, I was shocked about how bad he looked. Thinking on it, there is no way that the pitcher on the mound yesterday was the same guy who was considered the #6 prospect in all of baseball. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt - something was up with his arm and he naivety tried to pitch through it.

There's also the reality that bringing new arms up will equal a roller coaster at times.

as of now I feel Tallion and Kulh are both capable of improving this team and they should not be blocked by any trade.

Despite big holes in the rotation and the lineup (due to under proformance) the Pirates are 1 of 5 teams in the wildcard hunt, just 2 games out. I absolutely believe the Marlins and Cardinals will fall back. We need to catch the Mets and I think we can.

By the trade deadline I expect the Pirates to be 7 games over .500. If they are, the Pirates could be the #2 wildcard.

If there is no trade for rotation I think the Pirates are a contender for the playoffs. Trade for one upgrade to the rotation and I think the Pirates will be in the playoffs and maybe give the Cubs a run.

I don't want any trade that involves a top prospect.
mouse

Post by mouse »

A trade for any player who could actually help the Pirates will require at least two top prospects. This is the absolute worst time to try to get a "key" piece. Selling teams figure it's the perfect time to replenish their farm systems. Keep in mind the seller's motto: Where there's desperation there is profit.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3235232B2532757900272D21292C6E232F2D400 wrote:

as of now I feel Tallion and Kulh are both capable of improving this team and they should not be blocked by any trade. 

Kuhl left his game Saturday with right triceps discomfort. So now the rotation for the second half is looking bleak.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Vogelsong at this rate will be starting next weekend. It's frustrating because right now is the perfect time to get a guy like Kuhl up here again and it's probably not going to happen because he got hurt. Now we are going to be stuck seeing either Vogelsong, Locke, or Niese make more starts. The Pirates aren't going to make the playoffs if any of these 3 guys has to be a permanent starter in the rotation the rest of the season. You gotta upgrade and do better period.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

That's right. If Glasnow and Kuhl are now out of the mix due to injuries, that means some combination of Locke and Niese (or both) are back in. That is NOT good and not a formula for making a run. I'd rather see Brault than either of those guys. So at this point I'd go with Cole, Liriano, Taillon, Brault and then I'd probably give Vogelsong a shot before I sent Locke or Niese back out there. Ideally NH could trade for a No. 2 or 3 caliber type starter, but I agree we should not give up any top prospect for a middling starter.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

The radar gun on the Indy broadcast for Vogelsong's last start had him topping out at 87-88 mph. I'm pretty sure he didn't hit 89 once. There was nothing that made me think the gun was low. He left the game early with what was described as a stiff neck.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

55667A7B7870467B607C6760717D7A140 wrote: The radar gun on the Indy broadcast for Vogelsong's last start had him topping out at 87-88 mph.  I'm pretty sure he didn't hit 89 once. 
Well then it seems like he's back to midseason form! ;)
AdrianBrown

Post by AdrianBrown »

Trevor Williams has been on a huge run lately at triple A. I wonder if he would be an option in the rotation down the stretch as well. I can't see Niese or Locke rejoining this rotation at any point unless they find something mechanically that they are sure was causing problems that they then are able to fix. They only need four starters for a little while because of off days so I suspect they'll roll with Cole, Liriano, and Taillon and then either use Williams, Brault, or a trade acquisition to fill in. Hopefully by then either Kuhl or Glasnow are available. We shall see though.