general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Minor League Thread

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:28 pm
Doc wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:41 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:48 am

We cannot sign top of the line free agents because we have an owner who provides our GM with a budget that is not competitive with other MLB teams. You are aware of that as well as myself, and as longtime Pirates fans we have to accept, but not agree as to how our owner operates this franchise.
I asked why the Pirates "can't" sign Bellinger. You told me why they "won't". And no, we don't have to "accept" that. That's exactly what Nutting wants: an acceptance and belief that he's unable to sign top talent. It allows him to continue to operate the way he does. He's playing a zero sum game where he wins and we fans lose. I don't understand why you've decided we have to accept that.
It's easy to say we "won't accept" that. What do you propose?

I'm certain Nutting doesn't think the fan base believes he is unable to sign top talent. The fan base is well aware that he simply chooses not to. Nutting knows the fans don't like it. He knows the fans are always angry. But he has a monopoly on MLB in Pittsburgh. It's not as if fans are flocking to the ballpark. In 2023 their attendance was 26th of 30. Nutting doesn't care. He knows attendance increases if he puts more money into the team and improves them. But he's making a profit without doing that.

It's not as if the fans are being fooled and don't see how Nutting operates. MLB refuses to make Nutting operate any differently. What should fans do about it?
If I had an answer for this dilemma, I’d have already brought it to the attention of those who could effect the necessary change. My complaint in my posts has been directed at fans who believe Nutting can’t compete for free agents as a small market team owner.

As for what fans can do about it, we know that boycotting rarely works, and I’m sure it wouldn’t in this case. Demanding that MLB remove him as an owner would be futile and would most certainly be ignored. Imploring local corporations, particularly PNC, to pressure Nutting into being a serious owner would take a monumental effort that would be nearly impossible to organize and likely fail. A media campaign in a place like New York might be effective but I don’t see that working in a parochial city like Pittsburgh. There may be other options but I agree that getting Nutting to change isn’t going to happen due to action that comes from outside of the organization or MLB.

I’d hate to think that we’ll never be rid of Nutting but I believe he has no plans to ever sell. Why would he? And there’s no guarantee that the new owner would be any different. Our only hope is that MLB owners implement a new system that, like the NFL, puts every franchise on equal footing. It would take a cataclysmic occurrence to bring that about.

Nope, we’re stuck with him. I just don’t want to hear fans feeling sorry for him, parroting his claim that he can’t compete for free agents.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:59 pm I just read an article on Bleacher Report that the Pirates are screening the
questions which will be asked ahead of Pirate Fest 2024
I will be interested in what you guys have to say about that.
That shouldn’t surprise anyone.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Doc wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:10 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:59 pm I just read an article on Bleacher Report that the Pirates are screening the
questions which will be asked ahead of Pirate Fest 2024
I will be interested in what you guys have to say about that.
That shouldn’t surprise anyone.
why screen when you can just write your own questions?
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

This is minor league thread :roll: Not biotching and moaning over and over and over about Nutting.

That Barco kid should be worth a look see this year. Jase Bowen power for real ? Termarr Johnson turned it on late. This is fun stuff !

Steelers going to make the playoffs !
Possum

Post by Possum »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:02 am This is minor league thread :roll: Not biotching and moaning over and over and over about Nutting.

That Barco kid should be worth a look see this year. Jase Bowen power for real ? Termarr Johnson turned it on late. This is fun stuff !

Steelers going to make the playoffs !
Hunter Barco - don't want to be too aggressive with his promotion. Greensboro to start the season and depending on what he does there send him to Altoona to finish the season.

Jace Bowen - looks like he can mash at high A so give him another shot at AA this season.

Termar Johnson - with all of his bona fides as a hitter why not move him to AA?

Steelers and playoffs, I don't give a rat's ass about the Steelers!
Let's Go Bucs
PooperScooper !

Yeah take it easy early on Barco. A bunch of 3inn starts to begin then AA to end season sounds perfect.Be nice if he is a Lefty stud to go with Skenes. .Get him 80 innings.Still wish Pirates took Crews.
Last edited by PooperScooper ! on Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PooperScooper !

Few seasons back I picked Jack Herman as my guy to watch in Pirates system. I cant even find him now, lol.
I will make my selection in a few weeks. Not an easy top 5 guy, but a deep selection.I shall find him ! Can I still say him ?
Still have hope we get Musgrove for some suspects later in Summer, by then TJ will really increase value.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:47 pm Few seasons back I picked Jack Herman as my guy to watch in Pirates system. I cant even find him now, lol.
I will make my selection in a few weeks. Not an easy top 5 guy, but a deep selection.I shall find him ! Can I still say him ?
Still have hope we get Musgrove for some suspects later in Summer, by then TJ will really increase value.
He struggled at Greensboro in 2022, injured his leg (undisclosed injury) that June and was done for the season. He played only 4 games in a rehab last year in the Florida complex League.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Bobster wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:53 pm
PooperScooper ! wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:47 pm Few seasons back I picked Jack Herman as my guy to watch in Pirates system. I cant even find him now, lol.
He struggled at Greensboro in 2022, injured his leg (undisclosed injury) that June and was done for the season. He played only 4 games in a rehab last year in the Florida complex League.
I just checked the Indianapolis Indians website and Herman is on their roster as of now.
Let's Go Bucs