Winter Meetings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

LumberCo

Winter Meetings

Post by LumberCo »

not blaming Neal for any of this, the principle owner is the one that sets a ridiculously low payroll for the man to work with. Bob Nutting it the cancer that is killing this team. seriously doubt that Huntington will stick around with this bull crap going on next time his contract is up.
SCBucco

Winter Meetings

Post by SCBucco »

143233243222510 wrote: It is just terrible form to basically auction off a player and then don't complete a deal.

I would think Cutch is as pissed as any player could be.

Maybe that will fire him up for the season but I think he would have been fired up anyone to show that last year was a fluke and not a decline.

Bottom line for me is the Bucs wanted to trade him but want a lot back (nothing wrong with that) but the Bucs misjudged the market to this point.

Without trading Cutch and without any money for free agents just how is the team going to get better?

This is 100% accurate.
SCBucco

Winter Meetings

Post by SCBucco »

546D757A7D6A5B77180 wrote: not blaming Neal for any of this, the principle owner is the one that sets a ridiculously low payroll for the man to work with.  Bob Nutting it the cancer that is killing this team.  seriously doubt that Huntington will stick around with this bull crap going on next time his contract is up. 

eh ... Nutting is garbage owner. Doesn't care about anything really except making tons of money. That said, NH hasn't done much for me last year and the offseason this year. The Liriano deal still blows my mind. Trade him and two prospects for garbage Drew Hutchinson. Once Washington said no to Robles and Giolito (I wouldn't have done that either), counter with what they sent Chicago. That would have more than sufficed. You get some young good arms - one that probably starts for you this year.
Ecbucs

Winter Meetings

Post by Ecbucs »

272C24282D2C377274033A222B2C2C6D202C430 wrote: It is just terrible form to basically auction off a player and then don't complete a deal.

Maybe that will fire him up for the season but I think he would have been fired up anyone to show that last year was a fluke and not a decline.

Bottom line for me is the Bucs wanted to trade him but want a lot back (nothing wrong with that) but the Bucs misjudged the market to this point.

Without trading Cutch and without any money for free agents just how is the team going to get better?

Funny how people are blaming the Pirates now for not trading McCutchen. How come the Nationals aren't getting ripped in getting the better player in McCutchen over Eaton?

The Nationals could have got a better player, but chose someone else. If the rumors are true, the Pirates made a better offer.

I'm blaming them for creating a situation that is unlikely to end well. Supposedly Liriano was too big of a pain to keep around. The Pirates seem to be doing their best to push Cutch into being that way.

Look at all the comments that NH made that made it seem like Cutch was gone. He could have soft pedaled them more if he wasn't intent on dealing him. I blame Littlefield for not having an auction approach with Aramis Ramierez. But it made sense to auction him since the Bucs had a drop dead deadline. It doesn't make sense to basically put the face of the franchise on the auction block and then do nothing.

I would not be surprised if most Pirate players have lost faith in and respect for the front office.

SCBucco

Winter Meetings

Post by SCBucco »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote: It is just terrible form to basically auction off a player and then don't complete a deal.

Funny how people are blaming the Pirates now for not trading McCutchen. How come the Nationals aren't getting ripped in getting the better player in McCutchen over Eaton?

The Nationals could have got a better player, but chose someone else. If the rumors are true, the Pirates made a better offer.

Eaton's defense blows Cutch's away.  That was one of the things Washington was looking for.  You will totally disagree because I know your MO, but there were times I saw poor body language from Cutch last year.  Not as bad as Liriano, but his attitude looked like he wasn't there.

We have no clue what Cutch shows up in 2017.  If he is here, I hope he rebounds.  However, he could very well be on the decline.  Why trade your top two prospects, both studs, for a guy that has two more years left on his contract and could be on the decline? His defense isn't good.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Winter Meetings

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The "experts" on MLB and Twitter are blasting the Nationals for taking Eaton over McCutchen.

We don't know what happened, but I doubt many think Eaton is a better overall player than McCutchen.

It might be bad that McCutchen was dangled out there. It might also fire him up. He has a big pay day coming up and now he knows what some teams think of his play.

We should be glad that Huntington didn't just give him away too.
IABucFan

Winter Meetings

Post by IABucFan »

Sounds to me like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" moment. If they trade Cutch, the outrage from fans would have been deafening. "They gave him away!" "Typical Pirates move, won't pay even a modest salary to keep a star player!" Now, they don't trade him, and they're getting ripped. NH can't win for losing.

Regardless, I seriously doubt Cutch is ticked off. Maybe he is. I don't know. But, he's not the first player to have his name floating around in trade rumors and then not get dealt. He won't be the last either.
Speedloader88

Winter Meetings

Post by Speedloader88 »

I agree with a few of the posts in which Andrew McCuthen appeared to be a sulking player. He frustrated me all year. I think his body kinesics, micro expressions, countenance all displayed a situational displeasure. The source of that displeasure can not be known from those observations, but I am certain with a reasonable degree of certainty that he had a grievance for most of the season.

If you humored me by giving my analysis the benefit of the doubt, my question would be; Did any of #22's interviews provide any contextual clues or linguistic clues as to what he was displeased with?
rucker59@gmail.com

Winter Meetings

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

33100505040C0F010405125858600 wrote: I agree with a few of the posts in which Andrew McCuthen appeared to be a sulking player. He frustrated me all year.  I think his body kinesics, micro expressions, countenance all displayed a situational displeasure.  The source of that displeasure can not be known from those observations, but I am certain with a reasonable degree of certainty that he had a grievance for most of the season.

If you humored me by giving my analysis the benefit of the doubt, my question would be; Did any of #22's interviews provide any contextual clues or linguistic clues as to what he was displeased with?

No need to humor you because I agree with you. And not just Cutch. Marte and then Polanco had definite signs of bad body language. Cervelli had a need to argue every strike that was called on him. Cole takes the rest of Sept off (after being cleared by doc's) claim elbow tightness. Locke was clearly not happy in the pen.

I felt that things took a turn for the worse when the Shark was traded.

(Somebody needs to do an analysis of the net payroll the Pirates have moved).
Ecbucs

Winter Meetings

Post by Ecbucs »

212630383621666A13343E323A3F7D303C3E530 wrote: I agree with a few of the posts in which Andrew McCuthen appeared to be a sulking player. He frustrated me all year.  I think his body kinesics, micro expressions, countenance all displayed a situational displeasure.  The source of that displeasure can not be known from those observations, but I am certain with a reasonable degree of certainty that he had a grievance for most of the season.

No need to humor you because I agree with you.  And not just Cutch.  Marte and then Polanco had definite signs of bad body language.  Cervelli had a need to argue every strike that was called on him.  Cole takes the rest of Sept off (after being cleared by doc's) claim elbow tightness.  Locke was clearly not happy in the pen. 

I felt that things took a turn for the worse when the Shark was traded. 

(Somebody needs to do an analysis of the net payroll the Pirates have moved).

Pure speculation on my part (then most posts are) but in hindsight need to wonder if the players felt that the team had taken a step back after 2015 and were frustrated (disappointed).