Positive Thought

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Positive Thought

Post by Tintin »

566B7578777D76547C6B7A7C7D190 wrote: I see the Dodgers and Nats as better trade partners, I'm not sure I'd want that package of Frazier and Gleyber for Cole.  The Dodgers and Nats could bother offer a stud prospect and a guy that could pitch in the rotation now.

I'd take Frazier and Gleybar in a second for Cole.
Docjon49

Positive Thought

Post by Docjon49 »

7F747C7075746F2A2C5B627A7374743578741B0 wrote: Can injured minor leaguers be traded?
No one answered you, and I'm not sure I have an answer either. . . but I THINK you could do the infamous, "player to be named later" deal. Other than that, no.

They say the best way to get an answer on the internet is not to ask, but to post the wrong answer. Either I'm right, or someone will correct me in short order. [smiley=smiley.gif]
Bobster21

Positive Thought

Post by Bobster21 »

I never thought about it but I don't know why there would be a rule against trading an injured minor leaguer as long as the acquiring team was aware of the injury.
RichD

Positive Thought

Post by RichD »

Cole to the Astros for 3B Colin Moran and 1b Yourdan Alverez + TBD.

This will set us up at 3b for the next 5 years.

Brault can take Coles place,we need a lefty in the rotation. Not much more in AAA for the guy to do.Has 30 + starts of solid work.

RichD

Positive Thought

Post by RichD »

2 seasons ago ..I was all about trading Marte to the Indians for Mike Clevenger + others ....Everyone here was no way , what! How could you ! ETC.

Well Clevenger took some lumps last season , but look at him now.

Has some confidence , been there done that. Indians sent him down last year and he dominated.

This year he started IN AAA and was kinking butt. Now he is holding his own in the AL.

Hopefully Glasnow can do this.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Positive Thought

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

507B777E7B7A202D140 wrote: You're all out of your mind to trade Cole.  His value is lower than ever with a bunch of dumb luck crazy bad HR/FB rates over half of this season.   Trading him is madness.  Look at his career numbers for 30 seconds please.

Who the heck else are you going to plug into this rotation?  GLASNOW?    Oh wait, Nick Kingham?  Oooh Trevor Williams?

Come on, get real. Starting pitching is by far the single most expensive thing in the game.   Thinking the pirates would (or even should) think about trading a cheap, effective starter with years of control left is off the reservation.

I'd trade Cole if someone offered the right return, but I agree - teams trade at the deadline for performance NOW.   He's not exactly at the apex of his career.  I WOULD trade him at the earliest opportunity(FOR VALUE, not just to do it), though, as I think what we see is what we will get - an erratic pitcher who will never live up to his amazing talent. 

I'd trade Cutch in a hot second.  His value will NEVER be higher.  He's in his 30's and his knees are so bad he gave up stealing bases.  They moved him out of center field.  He went into the dumpster for A YEAR AND A HALF. Don't be sentimental.  He WILL go back into the dumpster, and we'll be the biggest fools in baseball for not having taken advantage of his momentary return to form.

Spend multi-millions so you can erect a statue to an outfielder who stood at 1st, hit .220 and earned Oh-My-God-million at the end of his career?  Cutch is the epitome of the guy we need to avoid: High cost contract, on the declining slope of his career.  We'll be paying him for his previous performance and we'll get old man/bad knees performance.  We need to trade him.  He did us an AMAZING favor and found his swing just when we needed him to.  Given the way this front-office operates, I think they will.  I hope they don't worry about the fan reaction too much.  If they do their job and get VALUE back for him, the fans will be happy again in a year or two, and for several years after that.

Seriously, put another name on Cutch.  Imagine that, instead of him coming up through our minors, we just traded for him.  Joe Smith from the Rangers. Great!  Ride out his hot bat, maybe get to the post-season, right?  I'd question the timing of trading for another piece, when it would have been better done in past years, but he has a hot bat, can't deny that.  But would you REALLY want to sign him to a big-figure, several-year contract beyond that?  Joe Smith, former base-stealing threat and MVP from the Rangers, now with bad knees and who mysteriously goes into season-long slumps?

Guess it all comes down to how you think he'll age.  I honestly thought he'd age well, but the past 2-3 years have made me question that.

I disagree with your scouting of McCutchen. I don't know if they will extend him or not. But I feel he can get a ton if he is on the market. He has had one bad year (last year) in his career. He is in MVP form again this year. I can't believe you are missing it?
Docjon49

Positive Thought

Post by Docjon49 »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: You're all out of your mind to trade Cole.  His value is lower than ever with a bunch of dumb luck crazy bad HR/FB rates over half of this season.   Trading him is madness.  Look at his career numbers for 30 seconds please.

Who the heck else are you going to plug into this rotation?  GLASNOW?    Oh wait, Nick Kingham?  Oooh Trevor Williams?

Come on, get real. Starting pitching is by far the single most expensive thing in the game.   Thinking the pirates would (or even should) think about trading a cheap, effective starter with years of control left is off the reservation.

I'd trade Cole if someone offered the right return, but I agree - teams trade at the deadline for performance NOW.   He's not exactly at the apex of his career.  I WOULD trade him at the earliest opportunity(FOR VALUE, not just to do it), though, as I think what we see is what we will get - an erratic pitcher who will never live up to his amazing talent. 

I'd trade Cutch in a hot second.  His value will NEVER be higher.  He's in his 30's and his knees are so bad he gave up stealing bases.  They moved him out of center field.  He went into the dumpster for A YEAR AND A HALF. Don't be sentimental.  He WILL go back into the dumpster, and we'll be the biggest fools in baseball for not having taken advantage of his momentary return to form.

Spend multi-millions so you can erect a statue to an outfielder who stood at 1st, hit .220 and earned Oh-My-God-million at the end of his career?  Cutch is the epitome of the guy we need to avoid: High cost contract, on the declining slope of his career.  We'll be paying him for his previous performance and we'll get old man/bad knees performance.  We need to trade him.  He did us an AMAZING favor and found his swing just when we needed him to.  Given the way this front-office operates, I think they will.  I hope they don't worry about the fan reaction too much.  If they do their job and get VALUE back for him, the fans will be happy again in a year or two, and for several years after that.

Seriously, put another name on Cutch.  Imagine that, instead of him coming up through our minors, we just traded for him.  Joe Smith from the Rangers. Great!  Ride out his hot bat, maybe get to the post-season, right?  I'd question the timing of trading for another piece, when it would have been better done in past years, but he has a hot bat, can't deny that.  But would you REALLY want to sign him to a big-figure, several-year contract beyond that?  Joe Smith, former base-stealing threat and MVP from the Rangers, now with bad knees and who mysteriously goes into season-long slumps?

Guess it all comes down to how you think he'll age.  I honestly thought he'd age well, but the past 2-3 years have made me question that.

I disagree with your scouting of McCutchen. I don't know if they will extend him or not. But I feel he can get a ton if he is on the market. He has had one bad year (last year) in his career. He is in MVP form again this year. I can't believe you are missing it?

I dunno what his deal is. I feel like he SHOULD be a multiple MVP, a member of the 30/30 club, and be a dangerous hitter well into his late 30's - but I don't think he will. It's hard to predict such things, but I think his knees are gonna let him down and he'll be a DH/1st baseman in a few years as well.

I really do hope I'm wrong. I was looking forward to seeing him be part of the Pirates for most of his career, and being a serious threat at the plate through several NLCS and World Series. I'm gonna stick with what I think will happen though. Maybe I'm just stuck in half-empty mode, but I'd trade him if given the chance.

I'm gonna let off pushing that so much, though. It's not like what I say makes it more likely to happen, and I don't want to be too pushy about it. I'll just close with the hope that, if they do trade him, they get us some serious talent to restock the high minors and help us make it to the playoffs in the coming years.

And, of course, the best of luck to Cutch, either way.

dmetz

Positive Thought

Post by dmetz »

Why would Cutchs knees be an issue?? He's never had a knee injury that I'm aware, plays the outfield (not an issue with knees)

Are you just picking a body part and rolling with it?

I'm going with his brain being the issue.
notes34

Positive Thought

Post by notes34 »

303931202E540 wrote: Why would Cutchs knees be an issue??  He's never had a knee injury that I'm aware, plays the outfield (not an issue with knees)

I don't think his knees are any problem at all. He got in a funk and was unable to pull himself out of it. He pressed, picked up some bad tendencies. Unfortunately is lasted for most of a year. Now he seems right! Other than the thumb last season which I do believe helped start the downward slide, he looks healthy and I think we will see Cutch continue to hit. It's going to be a sad day when he leaves.
Bobster21

Positive Thought

Post by Bobster21 »

75746F7E68282F1B0 wrote: Why would Cutchs knees be an issue??  He's never had a knee injury that I'm aware, plays the outfield (not an issue with knees)

I don't think his knees are any problem at all. He got in a funk and was unable to pull himself out of it. He pressed, picked up some bad tendencies. Unfortunately is lasted for most of a year. Now he seems right! Other than the thumb last season which I do believe helped start the downward slide, he looks healthy and I think we will see Cutch continue to hit. It's going to be a sad day when he leaves.
I'm not aware of any chronic knee issues. But he did have a left knee injury last year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1603170183