Looking ahead to 2019 aka Hot Stove Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

685F49596C4B4443446D6B2A0 wrote: 2nd base…Gotta go with Adam Frazier! The kid can hit and hit at the top of the order as well. And given the chance to start at 2B, I think he will be fine!
Frazier's SLG (.468) is second only to Polanco on the team. His OBP (.351) is third behind Cervelli and Bell. His OPS (.820) is second only to Polanco. The OBP doesn't surprise me but that SLG! :o
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Good analysis by Bucs Fan in Georgia. I also caught Bucs fever in 1960! We're due at least one or two more championships!
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

5D777C4C7B6D6D610E0 wrote: Of all the 2018 OF FA's, the guy who interests me the most is Lonnie Chisenhall. Curtis Granderson is my second choice. Both guys hit left handed and have some pop. We could ask Frazier to hold down RF with Luplow until Polanco's return, but that commits us to Kramer at 2B, and he hasn't shown that he's ready.

Chisenhall used to play 3B and I'm not sure if he still can, but it's a thought once Polanco returns from injury.

More than either of these guys, I'd like to see us sign Jose Iglesias to play SS. Just not sold on Newman as an everyday player, though he has hit better lately.

I want us to sign a lefty relief pitcher, too. I like Brault more than most, but it's an organizational weakness, made worse by the trade of Hearn. Do you suppose we could bring Ollie Perez back? All ideas on this are most welcome.

One reason to think Ollie Perez might come our way is that both moves so far have involved former Indians. Maybe that's just natural since Neal came to us from that organization. I wonder if he was familiar with Chisenhall when he began in MLB.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Fangraphs ZIPs projection for the Pirates is coming out today. One of the dudes tweeted out the graphic last night. To sum up, it's exactly what we thought. Three productive OF positions, four productive rotation spots and a solid bullpen. I would take the over on their Diaz/Cervelli WAR prediction, and probably the over on Frazier. But until we see differently, Moran and Bell both being sub-2 WAR players is still the reality. Williams also doesn't measure out well on these formats because he relies on soft contact, which isn't picked up well in these charts.

So again, where we are is, if Bell and Moran/Kang exceed their low expectations for 2019, they can compete.