Come On Pirates Do Something

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

So the Reds received Puig, Kemp, Wood, Farmer and 7 Million from the Dodgers for Homer Bailey, Jeter Downs-SS/2B and Josiah Gray-P. Downs and Gray were #5 and #8 on the Reds top 30 prospects.

A comparative deal with the Bucs would be Nova, Kevin Newman or Kramer, and RHP Escobar going to the Dodgers.

Would you make that trade?

I would in a heartbeat!
mouse

Post by mouse »

msn.com is reporting that Machado will go to the Yankees. Not seeing that elsewhere, though.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/re ... li=BBnba9I
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Wonder what it would take to get Andujar?
notes34

Post by notes34 »

0A2F2C2C39122F272532400 wrote: Wonder what it would take to get Andujar?
More than we have to offer.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

29283322347473470 wrote: Wonder what it would take to get Andujar?
More than we have to offer.
Yanks want pitching. They would probably want Keller which I would not do. With Moran, Jung Ho and Hayes in the mix the Bucs don’t need a third baseman.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5D607E737C767D5F7760717776120 wrote: Nova went from 6 innings per start in 2017 to 5.5 innings per start. He was the oldest, most expensive, and worst pitcher in the rotation. I can't understand why people think dumping him was sort of travesty. I would bet a healthy sum that whoever makes the majority of the starts behind the top four, outperforms Nova in 2019.

As for the Reds, Kemp and Puig are average corner OF's. The Reds are a good offensive team. But it's insane to think think they have surpassed the Pirates with this move.
Kemp and Puig would probably both start in Pittsburgh? ;) The Reds lineup is much better than ours. 5 of their starting position players are projected to hit 20+ HR's. Of course their rotation is crap but these rosters are way closer in talent than you are giving credit for.

Kemp and Puig were both sub 2.0 WAR players. That would have put them on the bench on the 2018 Pirates. Puig would start in RF over Chisenhall, but were Polanco healthy, I'd have a hard time mustering the energy to care about the marginal difference between Puig and Polanco. But Kemp is a part time player wherever he goes due to age and fragility.

GRAVEDIG!

Matt Kemp was released by the Reds back over the weekend.  Puig has a studly .621 OPS.

Wood should be good but hasn't pitched since February and recently had a setback.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

75474B4B5F6D4E474A4F4047260 wrote: Nova went from 6 innings per start in 2017 to 5.5 innings per start. He was the oldest, most expensive, and worst pitcher in the rotation. I can't understand why people think dumping him was sort of travesty. I would bet a healthy sum that whoever makes the majority of the starts behind the top four, outperforms Nova in 2019.

As for the Reds, Kemp and Puig are average corner OF's. The Reds are a good offensive team. But it's insane to think think they have surpassed the Pirates with this move.
Kemp and Puig would probably both start in Pittsburgh? ;) The Reds lineup is much better than ours. 5 of their starting position players are projected to hit 20+ HR's. Of course their rotation is crap but these rosters are way closer in talent than you are giving credit for.

Kemp and Puig were both sub 2.0 WAR players. That would have put them on the bench on the 2018 Pirates. Puig would start in RF over Chisenhall, but were Polanco healthy, I'd have a hard time mustering the energy to care about the marginal difference between Puig and Polanco. But Kemp is a part time player wherever he goes due to age and fragility.

GRAVEDIG!

Matt Kemp was released by the Reds back over the weekend.  Puig has a studly .621 OPS.

It's puzzling. Kemp is 34 but is coming off 2 good seasons including .290, 21 HRs, 85 RBIs and an All-Star last year. Could age have caught up with him virtually overnight? Puig has never had a terrible season but is currently hitting .208. Seems pretty early in the season to give up on Kemp or Puig.

I suspect it may be a knee jerk reaction by Reds' mgt to their disappointing start. They made a lot of big moves in the offseason to get Kemp, Puig, Iglesias, Roark, Wood, Gray and Dietrich. But currently only 2 NL teams have a worse record. Wood has yet to pitch for them after injuring his back and Puig and Kemp have been awful. Maybe this was sort of a PR move to tell their fan base that they won't sit back and do nothing while the team is losing.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, for the record I would have Kemp around (he's on the DL anyway) just to see if he can recover.  But that trade we were all wringing our hands about hasn't really paid off for the Reds yet (besides by dumping Bailey).  I imagine Puig will be hitting better as the season goes (as I also would guys like Marte).
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

60525E5E4A785B525F5A5552330 wrote: Nova went from 6 innings per start in 2017 to 5.5 innings per start. He was the oldest, most expensive, and worst pitcher in the rotation. I can't understand why people think dumping him was sort of travesty. I would bet a healthy sum that whoever makes the majority of the starts behind the top four, outperforms Nova in 2019.

GRAVEDIG!

Wood should be good but hasn't pitched since February and recently had a setback.

I'm not surprised that Kemp had no interest in trying hard for the Reds this year. I'm surprised how bad Puig has been. The Reds stink, but it really doesn't matter because the Cards and Cubs are really good.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Things just keep getting worse for the Reds. Last night they were no-hit by the A's Mike Fiers. Fiers lowered his ERA to 5.48.