Who will Bucs add to handle catching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

57727171644F727A786F1D0 wrote: I get that the Pirates have a rich tradition when it comes to dumpster diving. But do we have to reach the bottom of the dumpster to pull out our players. Why get it of Diaz for this career stiff?
It seems the reason Diaz is no longer a Pirate is the pitchers had no confidence in him, and wanted him gone. I don't know if it's valid or not but obviously there was friction between him and pitchers.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I recall feeling that the wrong pitch was called on more than one occasion when he was behind the plate but I was never sure if he was calling the pitches or if they were being called from the bench.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I like the notion they are trying to upgrade defense on the team. And I don't mind this signing at all - they will add other catchers. On the whole, if you want better pitchers, one way to get them is to upgrade the defense. I used to get so frustrated watching Diaz line up at an angle to the pitcher, with balls in the dirt then glancing off him and rolling away at some odd angle. Other catchers would be square to the pitcher and those same pitches would bounce off the catcher and drop in front of him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I hope at least another catcher is acquired to take the best 2 of Stallings, Maile and another. But I fear that this is the guy BC wanted in keeping with a low payroll and due to his familiarity with the Blue Jays. I believe it's very important to have a strong defensive catcher even if his hitting is no better than slightly below average. Maile did hit .248 in 2018. But that's his career high. His 2nd best was .227 and he's also had seasons hitting .146 and .151 for a career mark of .198. If he can be strong behind thew plate and contribute at least with a .240ish BA, he could be an asset. But they can't afford a 2nd dead spot in the batting order besides the pitcher.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I'm ok with this signing based on this theory: They aren't going to win next year. Sinking cost into catcher who is a hitter isn't necessary. Among their goals next year, one of the biggest is to figure out the pitching staff. They need to discern if any of their current starters are worth keeping long term. Plus, they need to rekindle value in Archer. This needs to be a focus. If this no-hit, all defense catcher can help to accomplish this, it was a good signing by me.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

6A474A5B5C4D5A1A19280 wrote: I hope at least another catcher is acquired to take the best 2 of Stallings, Maile and another. But I fear that this is the guy BC wanted in keeping with a low payroll and due to his familiarity with the Blue Jays. I believe it's very important to have a strong defensive catcher even if his hitting is no better than slightly below average. Maile did hit .248 in 2018. But that's his career high. His 2nd best was .227 and he's also had seasons hitting .146 and .151 for a career mark of .198. If he can be strong behind thew plate and contribute at least with a .240ish BA, he could be an asset. But they can't afford a 2nd dead spot in the batting order besides the pitcher. 

I'm not sure I fear that Maile might be it, but I think he might be and we'll go into spring with him and Stallings. I think they might sign one or two more Cs to minor league deals as we need depth there as well. Hopefully with more consistent play he'll hit closer to his career highs. He's a big kid and with Stallings we might have two of the tallest catchers in the league.

This could be a sign that they are going to try and find more of an up and coming C as part of a trade package, one that is either at AA or AAA and not ready for prime time but is a high level prospect.

Like the rest of you I'm watching closely just to get a hint of direction. But one thing is for sure, Cherington is past trying to make a splash just for PR's sake (which is probably a good thing).
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6140555C645D46554051340 wrote: I hope at least another catcher is acquired to take the best 2 of Stallings, Maile and another. But I fear that this is the guy BC wanted in keeping with a low payroll and due to his familiarity with the Blue Jays. I believe it's very important to have a strong defensive catcher even if his hitting is no better than slightly below average. Maile did hit .248 in 2018. But that's his career high. His 2nd best was .227 and he's also had seasons hitting .146 and .151 for a career mark of .198. If he can be strong behind thew plate and contribute at least with a .240ish BA, he could be an asset. But they can't afford a 2nd dead spot in the batting order besides the pitcher. 

I'm not sure I fear that Maile might be it, but I think he might be and we'll go into spring with him and Stallings. I think they might sign one or two more Cs to minor league deals as we need depth there as well. Hopefully with more consistent play he'll hit closer to his career highs. He's a big kid and with Stallings we might have two of the tallest catchers in the league.

This could be a sign that they are going to try and find more of an up and coming C as part of a trade package, one that is either at AA or AAA and not ready for prime time but is a high level prospect.

Like the rest of you I'm watching closely just to get a hint of direction. But one thing is for sure, Cherington is past trying to make a splash just for PR's sake (which is probably a good thing).

They have to get another catcher at least at the fill in level for the majors.

Maybe it is somebody who is an up and comer and doesn't have much AAA experience.

Having just 2 catchers with significant MLB experience (and that is stretching it) is tremendously risky. Maybe Stallings can handle starting 100 games, but my money is on the team getting another catcher to add to the mix. I did read where Maile has an option so he can go to Indy if needed.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would expect one or two more catchers added, so they can stash someone at AAA and-or, if someone is good with the bat, use as the 26th man off the bench while ready for occasional stints behind the plate. With the two-catcher model you always have someone you can't use in a game in case of injury to your starter.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

66647E786E0B0 wrote: I would expect one or two more catchers added, so they can stash someone at AAA and-or, if someone is good with the bat, use as the 26th man off the bench while ready for occasional stints behind the plate. With the two-catcher model you always have someone you can't use in a game in case of injury to your starter.
I don't think they will use the 26th man to add a 3rd catcher. Most likely a versatile player which also gives them one more pinch hitter before having to use the 2nd catcher to PH, which every team hates to have to do. So they can still hold the 2nd catcher in reserve by having an extra player to PH. It serves the same purpose as carrying 3 catchers (using 1 to PH and still have 1 in reserve for an emergency) without limiting the options of that extra player to only catching.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Makes sense. Probably get a better hitter that way as well.