Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Spring Training Thread

Post by DemDog »

303C3D666F666E63647B61560 wrote: Oh BOY! The first home game today can't wait. Still love to hear the crack of the bat as you walk into Lecom. Guessing this will be pretty much a lost season but for today it doesn't matter.
Yes baseball today. That is a sign that spring is coming. The Bucs are destined for last in the division this year, but the season will be interesting. Will Keller develop into a strong starting pitcher? When will Hayes arrive ? Will Reynolds and Newman continue to hit like they did in 2019? We shall see how this season unfolds.

WoW fjk, I love your positivity about concentrating on how some of the young kids will develop this year and how Newman & Reynolds contine to grow as MLB players.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

76575F765D55320 wrote: Oh BOY! The first home game today can't wait. Still love to hear the crack of the bat as you walk into Lecom. Guessing this will be pretty much a lost season but for today it doesn't matter.
Yes baseball today. That is a sign that spring is coming. The Bucs are destined for last in the division this year, but the season will be interesting. Will Keller develop into a strong starting pitcher? When will Hayes arrive ? Will Reynolds and Newman continue to hit like they did in 2019? We shall see how this season unfolds.

WoW fjk, I love your positivity about concentrating on how some of the young kids will develop this year and how Newman & Reynolds contine to grow as MLB players. 

Well Possum , baseball is in my blood from my grandad, and father. I really enjoy baseball ( especially Pirates baseball) and the young players always have an intrigue to me. I recall going to a HYPO game at Forbes Field with my dad and saw Oliver, Hebner, Robertson and Sangy play for the Columbus Jets and thought I could not wait until they arrived in Pittsburgh.
Bobster21

Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

4F4342191019111C1B041E290 wrote: Oh BOY! The first home game today can't wait. Still love to hear the crack of the bat as you walk into Lecom. Guessing this will be pretty much a lost season but for today it doesn't matter.

Well Possum , baseball is in my blood from my grandad, and father. I really enjoy baseball ( especially Pirates baseball) and the young players  always have an intrigue to me. I recall going to a HYPO game at Forbes Field with my dad and saw Oliver, Hebner, Robertson and Sangy play for the Columbus Jets and thought I could not wait until they arrived in Pittsburgh.
I don't think we'll ever see that type of production from a group of rookies and 2nd year players again. From any team. In 1969 Sanguillen was in his 2nd MLB season and first as a starter. Oliver, Hebner, Robertson, Bruce Dal Canton and Carl Taylor were rookies. Ellis, Luke Walker and Patek were 2nd year players. And in 1970 Dave Cash was a rookie. Clines, Kison and Stennett were rookies in 1971, Milt May in 1972, and Richie Zisk in 1973. That's an incredible volume of good young players all coming thru the system in proximity to one another.
shedman

Spring Training Thread

Post by shedman »

545859020B020A07001F05320 wrote: Oh BOY! The first home game today can't wait. Still love to hear the crack of the bat as you walk into Lecom. Guessing this will be pretty much a lost season but for today it doesn't matter.

Well Possum , baseball is in my blood from my grandad, and father. I really enjoy baseball ( especially Pirates baseball) and the young players  always have an intrigue to me. I recall going to a HYPO game at Forbes Field with my dad and saw Oliver, Hebner, Robertson and Sangy play for the Columbus Jets and thought I could not wait until they arrived in Pittsburgh.
----

If we see that kind of production from any of the current players, they will be immediately sold off for more prospects.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: Oh BOY! The first home game today can't wait. Still love to hear the crack of the bat as you walk into Lecom. Guessing this will be pretty much a lost season but for today it doesn't matter.

I don't think we'll ever see that type of production from a group of rookies and 2nd year players again. From any team. In 1969  Sanguillen was in his 2nd MLB season and first as a starter. Oliver, Hebner, Robertson, Bruce Dal Canton and Carl Taylor were rookies. Ellis, Luke Walker and Patek were 2nd year players. And in 1970 Dave Cash was a rookie. Clines, Kison and Stennett were rookies in 1971, Milt May in 1972, and Richie Zisk in 1973. That's an incredible volume of good young players all coming thru the system in proximity to one another. 

I forgot about Carl Taylor, his trade brought us Dave Guisti with his palm ball. I think then in 1974 Parker arrived in late July or early August.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

So I just returned from the Twins -Pirates game. As most of you know starting players are generally removed after the 6th inning and that was about the only time the team showed anything. The pirates were held hitless until Cole Tucker finally had a base hit at the bottom of the 5th. Honestly one of the most boring games I have seen for quite a while until the Pirates Hayes hit a double to deep right-center off the wall putting guys on third and second with no outs. Behind 2-0 at that point, they did manage to score a run but Hayes was thrown out at home when he tried to score on a grounder that was either an error or a hit up the middle.

I notice that the Pirates headline on their site was Prospects strong but Pirates fail. Certainly, the prospects played better than the starters but beside Hayes, I was not impressed. I can't remember if it was Cruz or Susac that hit the one up the middle. I have not checked the box score so it could have been a hit ar an error. I do like the way both Hayes and Cruz looked and responded when they need to. The first 5 + inning this game was tough to watch at least from a pirate perspective.

As far as the pitching was concerned Keller looked OK although he needs to throw more strikes. Regardless he held them scoreless not a commanding performance but OK. Marvel could not consistently throw strikes and he gave up 3 hits, 2 walks, and 2 earned runs. He simply was not very good at all. Feliz and Holmes looked pretty good especially Holmes but the guy who looked the best was the left-hander Del Pozo. He pitched 2 innings and struck out 2 and he threw a lot of strikes. He did give up a hit. Another left-hander Jerez was also strong with 2 strikeouts in the inning he pitched.

Hopefully, the Pirates lack of hitting is not something that will continue in the future but only time will tell.

Side notes: The pirates screened the entire stadium from foul pole to foul and most of the guys I was sitting around hated it. I get it that they are trying to protect themselves from lawsuits but what it also does in insulate the players away from the fans. I saw very little interaction with any of the ballplayers.

shedman

Spring Training Thread

Post by shedman »

41686E62600D0 wrote: So I just returned from the Twins -Pirates game. As most of you know starting players are generally removed after the 6th inning and that was about the only time the team showed anything. The pirates were held hitless until Cole Tucker finally had a base hit at the bottom of the 5th. Honestly one of the most boring games I have seen for quite a while until the Pirates Hayes hit a double to deep right-center off the wall putting guys on third and second with no outs. Behind 2-0 at that point, they did manage to score a run but Hayes was thrown out at home when he tried to score on a grounder that was either an error or a hit up the middle.

I notice that the Pirates headline on their site was Prospects strong but Pirates fail. Certainly, the prospects played better than the starters but beside Hayes, I was not impressed. I can't remember if it was Cruz or Susac that hit the one up the middle. I have not checked the box score so it could have been a hit ar an error. I do like the way both Hayes and Cruz looked and responded when they need to. The first 5 + inning this game was tough to watch at least from a pirate perspective.

As far as the pitching was concerned Keller looked OK although he needs to throw more strikes. Regardless he held them scoreless not a commanding performance but OK. Marvel could not consistently throw strikes and he gave up 3 hits, 2 walks, and 2 earned runs. He simply was not very good at all.  Feliz and Holmes looked pretty good especially Holmes but the guy who looked the best was the left-hander Del Pozo. He pitched 2 innings and struck out 2 and he threw a lot of strikes. He did give up a hit. Another left-hander Jerez was also strong with 2 strikeouts in the inning he pitched.

Hopefully, the Pirates lack of hitting is not something that will continue in the future but only time will tell.

Side notes: The pirates screened the entire stadium from foul pole to foul and most of the guys I was sitting around hated it. I get it that they are trying to protect themselves from lawsuits but what it also does in insulate the players away from the fans. I saw very little interaction with any of the ballplayers.

---

Good update. The pitchers Del Pozo and Jerez, do you know if they have any chance of making the team, or are they destined for the minors?

Bobster21

Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

The Pirates are hurting for LHPs in the BP. The candidates are Brault (but he'll probably start), Derek Holland, Robbie Erlin, Nik Turley, Jerez, Del Pozo and Blake Weiman. All but Weiman have at least some MLB experience but none inspire confidence. I'd guess Weiman is the only one with no chance to go north and each of the others could secure a spot with a strong spring.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

---

Good update.  The pitchers Del Pozo and Jerez, do you know if they have any chance of making the team, or are they destined for the minors?

Bobster pretty much nailed it. The question is how many left-handers will make it. With the 26 man this year teams can carry as many 13 pitchers. If the Pirates decide to carry that many there maybe a couple of left handers who go north.
Bobster21

Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

Last year they sometimes went with 13 pitchers and a 4-man bench which is problematic. They liked 13 pitchers because most of them were so bad that they needed to make frequent pitching moves every game. With the 26-man roster I expect them to start out with 13 pitchers and the normal 5-man bench. That should allow for 2 or 3 LHPs in an 8-man BP. But another change is the reliever rule of facing a minimum of 3 hitters unless the inning ends sooner. Between that and the possibility that the BP will be stronger, they may start with 8 and reduce to 7 in the BP, which would provide the luxury of a 6-man bench. I expect 2 LHPs with 7 in the BP and possibly 3 LHPs out of 8 in the pen.