The Great DH Compromise

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

The Great DH Compromise

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

133534233525560 wrote: So it seems they're talking about putting a runner on second to start each extra inning:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/ ... anges.html

They can do what they want, but I'd rather see them break ties via home run derby or a race around the bases.

home run derby is interesting idea.  I would rather have a gladiator type competition between mascots.

How about a wrestling match between owners? No rules. Anything goes.
GreenWeenie

The Great DH Compromise

Post by GreenWeenie »

I like that idea.

BOB would win every time. He'd just go for the other guy's (or woman's, maybe) wallet, and it would be all over. The man who can get him to give any of it up has yet to be born. Bucs win. We had 'em all the way.
Bobster21

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm onboard with the mascot gladiator fights.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Great DH Compromise

I see the owners have proposed additional changes to the game. Along with the idea of starting extra inning games with a runner at second base, they propose that games can end in a tie and, brace yourself, allowing players who've been removed from the game to return back to the line-up. Why don't we just throw a picnic blanket out on the field and let Aunt Edna have an at bat every few innings, too?
Bobster21

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Bobster21 »

2375637778627279746351767C70787D3F72110 wrote: I see the owners have proposed additional changes to the game.  Along with the idea of starting extra inning games with a runner at second base, they propose that games can end in a tie and, brace yourself, allowing players who've been removed from the game to return back to the line-up.  Why don't we just throw a picnic blanket out on the field and let Aunt Edna have an at bat every few innings, too?
I just don't see what a shortened season in a pandemic has to do with radically changing the rules of the game. Obviously these proposed changes are something they've been wanting to do for awhile and see this as an opportunity to get them enacted with little fan revolt because fans will just be glad to see any form of the game at this point. It's disgusting. Although I do look forward to seeing Aunt Edna batting between mascot fights.
BenM

The Great DH Compromise

Post by BenM »

173130273121520 wrote: So it seems they're talking about putting a runner on second to start each extra inning:

They can do what they want, but I'd rather see them break ties via home run derby or a race around the bases.

home run derby is interesting idea.  I would rather have a gladiator type competition between mascots.

Quick, sign Randal Simon to the coaching staff!

I'm ambivalent on the universal DH, but I really don't like the "runner on second base" idea.
Bobster21

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Bobster21 »

694E45662B0 wrote: So it seems they're talking about putting a runner on second to start each extra inning:

Quick, sign Randal Simon to the coaching staff!

I'm ambivalent on the universal DH, but I really don't like the "runner on second base" idea.

I wonder if that's the strategy. Propose absurd changes but don't follow thru with them so that when they force the NL to use the DH (which again has nothing to do with a short season) the fans won't object because they think it could have been a lot worse.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Great DH Compromise

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: I see the owners have proposed additional changes to the game.  Along with the idea of starting extra inning games with a runner at second base, they propose that games can end in a tie and, brace yourself, allowing players who've been removed from the game to return back to the line-up.  Why don't we just throw a picnic blanket out on the field and let Aunt Edna have an at bat every few innings, too?
I just don't see what a shortened season in a pandemic has to do with radically changing the rules of the game. Obviously these proposed changes are something they've been wanting to do for awhile and see this as an opportunity to get them enacted with little fan revolt because fans will just be glad to see any form of the game at this point. It's disgusting. Although I do look forward to seeing Aunt Edna batting between mascot fights.

I think you've nailed it. They see this as an opportunity to make the changes they think the game needs. But if the owners are making more money than ever before, and from revenue streams that never existed before, why are these cheesy ideas necessary? Baseball owners, though the names have changed over the years, remain consistently despicable.
GreenWeenie

The Great DH Compromise

Post by GreenWeenie »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: I see the owners have proposed additional changes to the game.  Along with the idea of starting extra inning games with a runner at second base, they propose that games can end in a tie and, brace yourself, allowing players who've been removed from the game to return back to the line-up.  Why don't we just throw a picnic blanket out on the field and let Aunt Edna have an at bat every few innings, too?

Aunt Edna can hit better than most of the pitchers, so I'm all for it, blanket and all.
ArnoldRothstein

The Great DH Compromise

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I was thinking: when we were kids, and it got down to a last at-bats, the team that was still batting could cut all of players except four. They were, of course, the best hitters and they would try to slug their way to a win. If the next batter was someone who was on base, he would go in to bat and one of the other four would pinch run. The only real risk in this was that the inning would end in a tie so the team would then have to go into the field with only four fielders. I think it would be a better way to hasten the end of a game than to start an inning with a free guy on second.