The Playoffs Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Braves up 3-2 top of the 4th, no outs, men on second and third, infield drawn in.

Nick Markakis scorches one to third baseman. Runner was going on contact!!! Comes home, no chance, runner tries to get in a run down.

He does, but the other runners were not just flat out running. As he heads home, he just BARELY gets tagged out. But now the guy attempts to make it to third, and HE'S thrown out!

Second and third, no outs, to two outs, and a man on first. Markakis never even went to SECOND BASE!

Next guy grounds out, and a chance to basically put a few nails in the coffin has been squelched by absolutely putrid base running and base coaching.

Don't tell me the Pirates aren't in the playoffs, at least in spirit!
Surgnbuck

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Braves are getting roasted for their baserunning ending their season. If you havent seen the double play you owe it to yourself.

If I had anything to say to any diehard Atlanta fans I'd tell them watch the final play of the 1992 NLCS and start learning to suck it up. Pirates fans have no sympathy.
maher.timothy20@gm

The Playoffs Thread

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

517770656C60776169020 wrote: The Braves are getting roasted for their baserunning ending their season. If you havent seen the double play you owe it to yourself.

If I had anything to say to any diehard Atlanta fans I'd tell them watch the final play of the 1992 NLCS and start learning to suck it up. Pirates fans have no sympathy.

I suppose I am incredibly petty but after 28 years I STILL love seeing Atlanta take a heartbreaking loss in the playoffs.
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

567077626B6770666E050 wrote: The Braves are getting roasted for their baserunning ending their season. If you havent seen the double play you owe it to yourself.

It's Atlanta.

They know a thing or two about letting opponents off the hook down there.
Ecbucs

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

727E777A6D316B7672706B77662D2F5F78721F0 wrote: The Braves are getting roasted for their baserunning ending their season. If you havent seen the double play you owe it to yourself.

I suppose I am incredibly petty but after 28 years I STILL love seeing Atlanta take a heartbreaking loss in the playoffs.

I was hoping the Dodgers would come from behind and beat them in the bottom of the ninth.
Surgnbuck

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

It's no secret among baseball fans that Clayton Kershaw hasn't exactly come up "Aces" in the playoffs.

Listening on Sirius coming home from work, pretty cool question to ponder, maybe some of you will part with some thoughts:

If Kershaw comes up big in the WS and the Dodgers finally take the crown, does that wash clean all his past failures?

I will say emphatically yes, because it's the same thought I had about Barry Bonds, if the Pirates had made the 92 world series and won it all. 90 and 91 wouldn't have even mattered at that point.
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree- yes.

I think people are known to disagree on what "failure" means.

A lot of very good MLB players would trade places with him, and guys like him, in a heartbeat.
Surgnbuck

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

As is usually the case, there is always some pretty good connections with the teams.

Biggest being the Dodgers GM Andrew Friedman is primarily responsible for the culture the Rays currently use when he was their GM. The Rays reached the post-season 4 times under him, including the 2008 World Series.

It was Friedman leaving for LA that allowed Joe Maddon to leave Tampa to go to Chicago, and win a WS with the Cubs.

Under Friedman in Tampa, Erik Neander was promoted to GM, Chaim Bloom now runs the Red Sox baseball operations office, and James Glick is now the Astros GM.

With LA, Friedman of course has won 6 straight division titles. and now three pennants.

The Cubs, Astros, and Red Sox have all won the WS since 2016. Now with the Rays facing the Dodgers, another team with Friedman connections will be a winner.

We can talk about money vs. small market all we want, but looking at this information, in baseball, Andrew Friedman is where the money lies.

All this info came from an article on MLB web site.
GreenWeenie

The Playoffs Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'd like to have some of the dough that lays around BOB. ;)
Surgnbuck

The Playoffs Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

744156565D6456565D5A56330 wrote: I'd like to have some of the dough that lays around BOB.  ;)
Yeah, but it would be the dough used to make the hot dog buns. And they didn't have enough of that one night!