Official Game Thread 7/17/2021 Mets vs. Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

44656D446F67000 wrote: I was blacked out of watching this game but I hope to watch it tomorrow! Fantastic win! Bucs did not quit!
Just finished watching the game. Sweet! Those who have posted here as long as I have may have been reminded of Only Bucs night at PNC on 7/28/2001 - more than 20 years ago, when we saw Brian Giles win it with a walkoff! Chime in, fellow old timers!

Oh yeah, SyrBucco, I remember it well.  Not just the game but the pregame party at a club just down the street from from the stadium that was hosted by a Buccos reporter from Wheeling who helped publish a weekly periodical about the Pirates that was published by Nutting newspapers.  His first name was Steve but I can't remember his last name.  He and my wife got together with him in that bar for a quick drink and some food before a few games during the next several seasons.  I remember when had enough OBN members at the game that we got our name shown on the scoreboard.  We made a lot of friendships that night.  I especially remember Jimbo, a guy who could hit a golf ball a country mile but never a straight country mile.  We often kidded him that what he needed was a ball bat with a driver head on it so he could take his usual baseball swing.  ;D  I think that you, wvbucco, and I are the only ones left from those days of OBN.  Gunner is still around somewhere but his health like mine is not so great.  Please tell that lovely bride of yours Possum & Mrs. Possum said hello.

Steve Novotney
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

49686049626A0D0 wrote: I was blacked out of watching this game but I hope to watch it tomorrow! Fantastic win! Bucs did not quit!
Just finished watching the game. Sweet! Those who have posted here as long as I have may have been reminded of Only Bucs night at PNC on 7/28/2001 - more than 20 years ago, when we saw Brian Giles win it with a walkoff! Chime in, fellow old timers!

Oh yeah, SyrBucco, I remember it well.  Not just the game but the pregame party at a club just down the street from from the stadium that was hosted by a Buccos reporter from Wheeling who helped publish a weekly periodical about the Pirates that was published by Nutting newspapers.  His first name was Steve but I can't remember his last name.  He and my wife got together with him in that bar for a quick drink and some food before a few games during the next several seasons.  I remember when had enough OBN members at the game that we got our name shown on the scoreboard.  We made a lot of friendships that night.  I especially remember Jimbo, a guy who could hit a golf ball a country mile but never a straight country mile.  We often kidded him that what he needed was a ball bat with a driver head on it so he could take his usual baseball swing.  ;D  I think that you, wvbucco, and I are the only ones left from those days of OBN.  Gunner is still around somewhere but his health like mine is not so great.  Please tell that lovely bride of yours Possum & Mrs. Possum said hello.

Sure will, Bryce! Wish you and Gunner were feeling better. I'm not too bad for an old fat guy. ? Jackie and the boys are doing well. No grandkids yet. ?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: I was blacked out of watching this game but I hope to watch it tomorrow! Fantastic win! Bucs did not quit!

Steve Novotney

thanks, I couldn't remember his name, I was a subscriber for a couple years. I think he is still writing, publishing news about Wheeling area. I've never been to Wheeling but did some research on Wheeling U. a couple years ago.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

795F5E495F4F3C0 wrote: I was blacked out of watching this game but I hope to watch it tomorrow! Fantastic win! Bucs did not quit!

Steve Novotney

thanks,  I couldn't remember his name, I was a subscriber for a couple years.  I think he is still writing, publishing news about Wheeling area.  I've never been to Wheeling but did some research on Wheeling U. a couple years ago.
I knew him from the Pirate fantasy camps. Steve used to attend. He was a pretty decent pitcher. He gave me a free subscription to his Pirate newsletter but it folded about a year later.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: I was blacked out of watching this game but I hope to watch it tomorrow! Fantastic win! Bucs did not quit!

Steve Novotney

Thanks for the reminder Bobster. I need to Google him and see what he is doing.