Frazier traded to Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by SyrBucco »

I've waited a day before rendering my verdict on the Frazier trade. Despite counting to 10 several times, I'm still angry about the trade. Hard to believe that a guy having this kind of season didn't get us a better return. The San Diego utility guy Marcano may be a decent player. The AA OF Suwinsky might be better than what we've currently got at that level. The High-A pitcher Miliano is nothing more than a lottery ticket. But if this is all we could get, then I think we should have hung on to Frazier.

This is the first trade BC has made where I'm absolutely disappointed. I have enjoyed watching Frazier have his career year. I'm not going to spend a nickel on a ticket this year when BC cares so little for this year's W/L record. I hope Marcano becomes a decent MLB player.
johnfluharty

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by johnfluharty »

I honestly don't feel like I'm qualified to make a judgment call on the trade just yet, but BC has done a good job of acquiring talent so far, and was high enough on Marcano to throw in extra money keep the Padres under the luxury cap to get him. I guess based on that, I am thinking there's a better than even chance that he'll be a good player.
shedman

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by shedman »

What we got for an all star and potential batting champion is an A ball OF who will probably never wear a major league uniform and AA ball pitcher who we will probably never hear from again and a SS with no arm that projects as an Erik Gonzalez utility type player.
ChillinStation

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by ChillinStation »

"My whole life, all I've done is win, until I got to the big leagues," Frazier said as the Padres introduced him on Monday. "So to be able to do that again, be in a playoff push, I couldn't be more excited about it. That's what we live for."

Losing wears you out and Frazier was ready to move on .He hit is way out of the Burgh this year . But he should of been hitting like this years ago.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

263D303138343B550 wrote: What we got for an all star and potential batting champion is an A ball OF who will probably never wear a major league uniform and AA ball pitcher who we will probably never hear from again and a SS with no arm that projects as an Erik Gonzalez utility type player.

Dang, it’s too bad you weren’t able to tell the Pirates brass your feelings about minor leaguers before they acquired suspects like Roberto Clemente, Jay Bell, Jason Bay, or Brian Reynolds.
rucker59@gmail.com

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

While this trade didn't move the needle with the fans, I'm beginning to wonder if there's more to this than most of us appreciate, Clearly Marcano is a guy that Ben likes a LOT and apparently San Diego's feels the same.

And it seems like the other two players are getting a lot more attention than a couple "throw aways". Both players look to have significant ceiling that is being teased out this year.

I was not thrilled with the trade, but I also knew nothing about any of the three. So I withheld judgement. Now, I'm beginning to think this was a good trade for the Pirates.
Bobster21

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by Bobster21 »

6E757879707C731D0 wrote: What we got for an all star and potential batting champion is an A ball OF who will probably never wear a major league uniform and AA ball pitcher who we will probably never hear from again and a SS with no arm that projects as an Erik Gonzalez utility type player.
Wrong again! The pitcher is A-ball. The OFer is in AA and 3rd in the league in HRs. And no one has said Marcano is a SS who projects as another Gonzalez. His main position has been 2B, which now is an area of need for the Pirates. I've already warned you about posting misinformation. From here on out it will be deleted. And if you persist in posting misinformation to satisfy your agenda, YOU will be deleted.
WildwoodDave2

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

596C7B7B70497B7B70777B1E0 wrote: Wrong again!

BOB is of Jewish faith. 
Then substitute bar mitzvah money :D
IABucFan

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by IABucFan »

I actually think this pitcher could be a Josh Harrison type. Check out the link I'm including at the bottom! Remember that trade? Tom Gorzelanny and John Grabow for Kevin Hart and Jose Ascanio. "The Cubs are also sending third baseman Josh Harrison." He was a throw-in on that trade. But if you looked at some of his minor league peripherals, there was evidence that he could be a good player. And, indeed he was.

The pitcher they got yesterday strikes out over 17 batters per nine innings. I don't care who you are, or what level you're playing at. That's unbelievable. If they can harness the control a little bit, you'e got a shutdown reliever. A.K.A. the guy who plays the Tony Watson role from 2013-15. But, that's a whole other level from Watson. By comparison, Aroldis Chapman is the all time leader in K/9 among relievers with 14.88. 17.8 or whatever it is...that's what the guy we got yesterday has...that's other-worldly.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/ ... rmida.html
GreenWeenie

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by GreenWeenie »

I have no idea how good any suspect will be.  I'm not a fortune teller.  I know that Frazier has been good at the MLB level now.  We need more Fraziers and fewer question marks.  Wheel keeps turning.  At some point, one would think that the timing will be right.  I think we once landed a batting champion (Fred Sanchez) when we were in a similar position.