Rule 5 Draft Will Present Difficult Choices for Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

587F76767F6C6F7F586F791A0 wrote: One more clarification: I've protected Canaan Njigba-Smith and Diego Castillo. Two spots are open on the 40-man. One will be a catcher.

I think Castillo flies a little under-the-radar. It may because his minor league offensive stats prior to this year are pretty ordinary, and then he missed 2020 completely.

But he was very solid in both AA (Yankees and us) and AAA this year with power and OBP up significantly. Seems to have figured out something since 2019. I think we'll want to see what we have.
I am of the opinion that Castillo will be protected. I could not see the current FO acquiring him in July, and then losing him in the Rule 5 Draft in December. There was a reason when they acquired him for Holmes.

Castillo will be a free agent if they do not protect him, Rule 5 wont matter.

Another player that will be a FA is Yerry De Los Santos. Seems like he would be an easy add over almost all of their relievers. He throws mid 90s, and has pitched well. Problem is that he has hardly pitched at all since the Pirates signed him in 2014.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

597E77777E6D6E7E596E781B0 wrote: One more clarification: I've protected Canaan Njigba-Smith and Diego Castillo. Two spots are open on the 40-man. One will be a catcher.

I think Castillo flies a little under-the-radar. It may because his minor league offensive stats prior to this year are pretty ordinary, and then he missed 2020 completely.

But he was very solid in both AA (Yankees and us) and AAA this year with power and OBP up significantly. Seems to have figured out something since 2019. I think we'll want to see what we have.
I am of the opinion that Castillo will be protected. I could not see the current FO acquiring him in July, and then losing him in the Rule 5 Draft in December. There was a reason when they acquired him for Holmes.

Castillo will be a free agent if they do not protect him, Rule 5 wont matter.

Another player that will be a FA is Yerry De Los Santos.  Seems like he would be an easy add over almost all of their relievers.  He throws mid 90s, and has pitched well.  Problem is that he has hardly pitched at all since the Pirates signed him in 2014.

Yup,I've got him on my original list as a guy to protect.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

Wonder how the impending labor issues could affect the Rule 5, sounds like Dec 2 is the deadline for a deal, which most likely will not happen. Sounds like FA will freeze, but not sure how that affects the Rule 5 since they are minor leaguers and not union members.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With the addition of Castillo to the 40 man roster today, I think that possibly 8 or 9 additional prospects will need to be added by November 19th the date to set the 40 man roster prior to the Rule 5 Draft. Some of the prospects which I think need to be added are:

Swaggerty

Peguero

Martin

Smith Njigba

Mitchell

Omar Cruz

Bolton

T.Thomas
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs are starting to make room for the players to be protected from the Rule 5 Draft. Tanner Anderson, Taylor Davis and Phil Evans were released today. Roster is now at 37 players.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

5D51500B020B030E09160C3B0 wrote: The Bucs are starting to make room for the players to be protected from the Rule 5 Draft. Tanner Anderson, Taylor Davis and Phil Evans were released today. Roster is now at 37 players.

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/news/pirate ... eview-2021
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4263767F477E65766372170 wrote: The Bucs are starting to make room for the players to be protected from the Rule 5 Draft. Tanner Anderson, Taylor Davis and Phil Evans were released today. Roster is now at 37 players.

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/news/pirate ... eview-2021

thanks for this article. One thing I don't do is look at other teams rosters and their choices. It is possible that another team will leave somebody exposed to Rule 5 draft that the Bucs like better than those that they have in their 40-45 spot rankings. Although at this point I expect the Bucs to fill all 40 spots.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

"We have selected the following players to the 40-man roster: INF Liover Peguero, OF Canaan Smith-Njigba, OF Jack Suwinski and OF Travis Swaggerty.

To make room on the 40-man we have designated C Michael Perez for assignment."

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1461838306329731073
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1D5E475C4F5A4B5D1D2E0 wrote: "We have selected the following players to the 40-man roster: INF Liover Peguero, OF Canaan Smith-Njigba, OF Jack Suwinski and OF Travis Swaggerty.

To make room on the 40-man we have designated C Michael Perez for assignment."

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1461838306329731073

I’m a little surprised Cruz, Martin, and Thomas weren’t protected. While they’re still unknowns, it seems their potential has to be worth giving a chance to play out over three other guys on the 40-man who’ve already shown they’re not going to be contributing major leaguers.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Seems thin to me.

I easily protect Cruz and Thomas and say bye-bye to Ponce and Hanhold.

Not going to look good if we lose early 20-year olds with potential for late 20-year olds that are fungible.