The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Appears Hanson has not made the Giants roster, and Connor Joe has made the team.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

Pedro Alvarez did not make the Marlins squad and exercised the opt out clause on his minor league contract.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

Neil Walker hit a PH HR yesterday for Miami. Austin Meadows led off the 1st inning for TB with a HR. Luplow and Moroff both got off the bench to appear in the Indians game.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: Neil Walker hit a PH HR yesterday for Miami. Austin Meadows led off the 1st inning for TB with a HR. Luplow and Moroff both got off the bench to appear in the Indians game.
I am sure the Rays demanded Meadows in the Archer deal, but I think we may regret sending him in that trade.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

444849121B121A17100F15220 wrote: Neil Walker hit a PH HR yesterday for Miami. Austin Meadows led off the 1st inning for TB with a HR. Luplow and Moroff both got off the bench to appear in the Indians game.
I am sure the Rays demanded Meadows in the Archer deal, but I think we may regret sending him in that trade.
I understand that you have to give something to get something. Meadows will likely become a star player. Archer has previously been a star pitcher if he can get back to that ability. What bothers me is making that deal and then not doing more to make the team better. Archer alone won't do it. So they are giving up Meadows but failing to go further in improving the team.
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: Neil Walker hit a PH HR yesterday for Miami. Austin Meadows led off the 1st inning for TB with a HR. Luplow and Moroff both got off the bench to appear in the Indians game.
I understand that you have to give something to get something. Meadows will likely become a star player. Archer has previously been a star pitcher if he can get back to that ability. What bothers me is making that deal and then not doing more to make the team better. Archer alone won't do it. So they are giving up Meadows but failing to go further in improving the team.

Mostly agree, though my thought during the trade was more along the lines of "why now?" Why make the move that time when you didn't before? I think most people agree that last season, while it was nice that we were doing well, didn't have the bones of a really great team that needed a boost to make a big run. There are times I thought we were an acquisition or two from greatness but last year wasn't one of those times.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

1D2F23233705262F2227282F4E0 wrote: Neil Walker hit a PH HR yesterday for Miami. Austin Meadows led off the 1st inning for TB with a HR. Luplow and Moroff both got off the bench to appear in the Indians game.

Mostly agree, though my thought during the trade was more along the lines of "why now?"  Why make the move that time when you didn't before?  I think most people agree that last season, while it was nice that we were doing well, didn't have the bones of a really great team that needed a boost to make a big run.  There are times I thought we were an acquisition or two from greatness but last year wasn't one of those times. 
That's what I was trying to say. Last year's team (which was still under .500 as late as September 15) was not going to compete with or without Archer. But he's a quality starter who could become a key part of a good team if the right pieces were added. NH even stated that Archer was added as much or more for 2019 than 2018. So trading Meadows as well as Glasnow and Baz for Archer was a significant commitment to building a championship caliber team. Except that the commitment ended right there. Another unproductive offseason. No further key additions. So now they have Archer but that's not enough. If they weren't going to go any further in building the team, they should have let the fans enjoy watching Meadows for 5 or 6 years as well as Glasnow and/or Baz if they ever develop. By making a blockbuster trade for Archer and then sitting on their hands, the trade looks more like a PR move (as if they're saying, "There! We traded for a good player. Now get off our back!") than part of a plan to build a championship type team.
BenM

The Departed

Post by BenM »

Gerrit Cole vs Charlie Morton tonight in Tampa.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

6A474A5B5C4D5A1A19280 wrote: Neil Walker hit a PH HR yesterday for Miami. Austin Meadows led off the 1st inning for TB with a HR. Luplow and Moroff both got off the bench to appear in the Indians game.

Mostly agree, though my thought during the trade was more along the lines of "why now?"  Why make the move that time when you didn't before?  I think most people agree that last season, while it was nice that we were doing well, didn't have the bones of a really great team that needed a boost to make a big run.  There are times I thought we were an acquisition or two from greatness but last year wasn't one of those times. 
That's what I was trying to say. Last year's team (which was still under .500 as late as September 15) was not going to compete with or without Archer. But he's a quality starter who could become a key part of a good team if the right pieces were added. NH even stated that Archer was added as much or more for 2019 than 2018. So trading Meadows as well as Glasnow and Baz for Archer was a significant commitment to building a championship caliber team. Except that the commitment ended right there. Another unproductive offseason. No further key additions. So now they have Archer but that's not enough. If they weren't going to go any further in building the team, they should have let the fans enjoy watching Meadows for 5 or 6 years as well as Glasnow and/or Baz if they ever develop. By making a blockbuster trade for Archer and then sitting on their hands, the trade looks more like a PR move (as if they're saying, "There! We traded for a good player. Now get off our back!") than part of a plan to build a championship type team.   

to go all money on this, the Bucs possibly felt they had to make Archer deal in season or another team might have gotten him. He was one of few pitchers with potential, years of control and cheap salary that was on the trading block.

I also think the Pirate metrics must show that there isn't much of an advantage in having left handed pitchers.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

I watched Glasnow's 5 inning outing beating Houston. He gave up 6 hits, 1 run, 1 BB and 4 Ks. He threw 51 of 77 pitches for strikes. The lone run was a line drive HR over a very low wall down the LF line.

His command has greatly improved. With the Pirates, he was generally nowhere near the plate so batters were not tempted to offer at anything until they walked. Even his strikes were usually somewhere other than where the catcher was setting up. Then with men on base, he would fear walking the next batter and groove something to hit. A disastrous formula. But with TB, he's more consistently hitting his targets for strikes. His pitches outside the strike zone were either wild high when he muscled up for a 95-98 FB or in the dirt when he had a lower target. He's no longer wild inside or outside. His curve looked good as he consistently threw it for strikes, usually right where the catcher wanted it. At the beginning of the game the TB announcers talked about his delivery issues and his control and command problems. They weren't sure what they were going to see from him, so those issues still exist. But all in all he was very effective. Not at all the guy who always appeared unable or afraid to throw anything close to the plate as a Pirate.