The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Robbie Grossman has been non tendered by the Twins.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

Pedro Alvarez got a minor league deal from the Marlins.
DemDog

The Departed

Post by DemDog »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: Pedro Alvarez got a minor league deal from the Marlins.

Scott Boras sure has done Pedro really good contract wise!
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

0A2B230A21294E0 wrote: Pedro Alvarez got a minor league deal from the Marlins.

I think you're kidding but actually I think Boras has done wonders for Pedro. Pedro can't throw or catch. He usually strikes out and can't hit much of anything except HRs and is a washout vs LHP. Yet Boras got him a 6 million signing bonus when he was drafted and advertised as a franchise hitter. By age 30 his disappointing career was essentially over except for minor league contracts and occasional recalls from AAA by the dreadful Orioles when they had an injury and needed a temporary DH. Now he's back with an NL team in the DH-less NL on another minor league deal. Where do the Marlins think they can put him on the field? The Orioles had him work on being an outfielder in AAA but had to give up on that. Incredibly, Alvarez has banked 27 million so far in his career as a so-called baseball player.
DemDog

The Departed

Post by DemDog »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: Pedro Alvarez got a minor league deal from the Marlins.

I think you're kidding but actually I think Boras has done wonders for Pedro. Pedro can't throw or catch. He usually strikes out and can't hit much of anything except HRs and is a washout vs LHP. Yet Boras got him a 6 million signing bonus when he was drafted and advertised as a franchise hitter. By age 30 his disappointing career was essentially over except for minor league contracts and occasional recalls from AAA by the dreadful Orioles when they had an injury and needed a temporary DH. Now he's back with an NL team in the DH-less NL on another minor league deal. Where do the Marlins think they can put him on the field? The Orioles had him work on being an outfielder in AAA but had to give up on that. Incredibly, Alvarez has banked 27 million so far in his career as a so-called baseball player.

Yes I was kidding. A lot of guys like Pedro would not have remained as players after a season Pedro had during his first season with the O's. Most would go on and play some independent ball or maybe get into the big time softball and softball HR Derby exhibitions.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

4B6A624B60680F0 wrote: Pedro Alvarez got a minor league deal from the Marlins.

Yes I was kidding.  A lot of guys like Pedro would not have remained as players after a season Pedro had during his first season with the O's.  Most would go on and play some independent ball or maybe get into the big time softball and softball HR Derby exhibitions.

Or as Chuck Noll used to say, It's time to get on with his life's work." ;)
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

"On Saturday, Mariners pitcher Wade LeBlanc graduated from the UofAlabama -- 15 years after first setting foot on campus.

Think LeBlanc's career is improbable (he was DFA'd seven times)? Consider the path he had to travel before getting his degree."
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

"Joel Hanrahan will join coaching staff at Class AA Altoona"
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Tito Polo signed a minor league contract with the Mariners and was invited to spring training. I believe he was traded by the Pirates to the Yankees in the Nova deal in 2016.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Justin Wilson just signed with the Mets, and Oliver Perez has signed with the Tribe. A couple of lefty bullpen guys who could have helped the Bucs.