2022 CBA

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

2022 CBA

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

734D4840534B4B406045524116240 wrote: I'm struggling, y'all. I haven't watched a single MLB game all year. I watched two innings of Rays/Red Sox on the 4th of July because it was the 4th. But that's it. Nothing else at all. Cancelled my MLB.tv subscription. Haven't watched ten seconds of MLB Network. I hate what they've done to the game. First it was the four finger wave for an IBB, then three-batter minimums. Then the NL DH, the extra inning ghost runners, and seven inning games in double headers (thank goodness that's gone). Rules against position players pitching. A special rule put in place for one single player (the Shohei Ohtani rule). Next year, they're banning shifts, changing the size of bases, and thus the distance between bases, and potentially limiting how far back outfielders can play. There's talk of backing the mound up a foot, and moving second base so it's not a straight line between first and second, and between second and third.

Yes, there's still pitching, hitting, fielding, and base running. But I hardly recognize this game anymore.

Some may call me an old fuddy-duddy. I don't care. I'm 40. Is that old? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends. To a fifteen year old, it's ancient. To someone who is 75, I'm still a young puppy. Regardless, I used to love baseball. I'd watch 100 Pirates games a year, and probably 25 others. On days when I couldn't watch the Pirates game for some reason, I'd watch highlights of the game. But I haven't done any of that this year.

On top of everything I lamented above, MLB has actually managed to make it harder to watch your favorite team's games. It's bad enough that they didn't get rid of the blackouts (six teams are blacked out here in Iowa). But now, to get every game, you need to subscribe to a cable or satellite service with your local RSN, MLB.tv or Extra Innings, Peacock, and Apple TV+. It's insane.

But, I kind of miss it. Being a diehard Oklahoma Sooners fan, I watched most of the College World Series. The high school where I teach at in Iowa just qualified for the state tournament, and I enjoyed going to the game yesterday to root for them.

I'm hoping maybe one or more of you can help me...is it as bad as I'm making it out to be?

I'm paying more attention to the Pirates this year than I have in the past couple because of the work Cherington is doing.  For the first time since 2016 I believe the organization, on the baseball side, is moving in the right direction.  We can't do anything about Nutting so I try not to think about how he cripples the major league team when it comes to competing.

Like you, the rules changes are disappointing, to be kind.  I'm trying my best to look past them and just focus on the action in the game.  It's still a beautiful thing to watch once the ball is put into play, and then to think about in between pitches.  I can't ever see myself not paying attention, in some way, to baseball in general and the Pirates in particular, no matter how the owners screw it up.

However, if the Pirates get to where they were in 2015, and Nutting gets in the way again, I'm not sure if my interest will continue.

If Nutting gets in the way again, you know who, will be

absolutely unbearable to talk too or play golf.

He’s already unbearable when he’s just standing there.
MaineBucs

2022 CBA

Post by MaineBucs »

I used to love watching basketball. When I was in my teens, it was a thrill to watch Russell square off against Chamberlain on the Sunday game of the week. I became a Celtics fan even though I had no connection to Boston.

Lost quite a bit of contact with most sports when I first moved to Alaska because we didn't have live TV. Things began to change in the latter part of the 70's when cable TV became available. Was actually a Sonics fan for a short while and later revelled in watching the Bird - Magic match-ups. When I left Alaska after 16 years and moved to Maine, I found myself watching nearly every Celtics game.

Fast forward 25 years or so. I now no longer watch or follow the NBA. I was barely aware that the Celtics were in the finals this year. I did check in for one of the play-off games (first time I saw a pro game all year) and almost immediately found myself grumbling about how the game was being played rather than cheering for a Celtic win. Players are freely allowed to 'carry' the ball, and I swear some moves involved at least three steps with no traveling calls. What the heck am I watching, and perhaps more importantly, why am watching.

Iowa, I equate my feeling that basketball left me behind with your lament about the current state of baseball and your waning interest in the game. However, no matter how hard the Commissioner, the owners (or in the case of the Pirates a non-owner), on-field managers, the players, the announcers, and the advent of too many outlets jumping into the game (a pox on you Apple TV for cheating me out of yet another televised game this Friday), I still find myself devoting too much of my attention to baseball and more specifically, to the Pirates.

I do not like many aspects of the current game, and still consider myself an IRATE fan when it comes to Pirate ownership. For example, I loath the annual Pirates Charity game; not because of the monies raised and devoted to worthy endeavors, but because Nutting actually shows his face and has the audacity to speak about the tradition of the franchise.

With respect to changing rules, I am stunned that I have so readily accepted the daily use of the DH.

I have rationalized my succumbing to this rule change by finding it is a good thing that Pirate fans don't have to suffer through even more bumbling moves by Shelton.

In the spirit of responding to your question ---is it as bad as it seems? --- I offer a few positives:

1. Most games are again played on grass rather than an artificial surface. And, many ballparks now have some character. The era of the multi-purposes stadium was really misguided.

2. The plays of the week (top 50) illustrates that there are a lot of talented players in the game who are willing to go all out to make a play, even if they are risking serious injury.

3. Any number of the currently discussed or proposed rule changes are bad and will not contribute to improving the game. That said, folks will always want to tinker to try and improve a game that has now been around for longer than anyone has lived on this earth. Geez, 50 years ago had a letter published in the Sporting News (The Baseball Bible --- no one says that anymore) advocating for the 8 man batting order.

Well, looks like my phone is dying.

Iowa, don't be so hard on yourself. It is OK to enjoy something (except the NBA) even though it has a lot of warts. Hope you come back and catch a few games. I believe it is a lot better than not watching.