Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:49 pm
Possum wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:42 pm Phillies announced the signing of Aaron Nola to a 7-yr 175 million contract. That is a $24 million annual average. What would would say if the Bucs extended Keller for that annual amount?
I don’t believe the Pirates will commit to an annual salary in the $20 million class. Just a guess, but I think they will offer fours years around $60 million. I think that would cover two years of arbitration, and an additional two years before he would become a free agent. At that time he would be 31 years old, and if he was still pitching well, he would probably be in position for a much larger contract.
We can talk all we want about what it would take for the Pirates to sign someone. But there's always that huge disconnect between what the Pirates would pay and what the player could get from other teams. Not to mention the lack of any incentives for free agents to choose the Pirates over better teams unless Nutting significantly overpays. Ans "overpay" is not a word in Nutting's vocabulary.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Bobster wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:51 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:49 pm
Possum wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:42 pm Phillies announced the signing of Aaron Nola to a 7-yr 175 million contract. That is a $24 million annual average. What would would say if the Bucs extended Keller for that annual amount?
I don’t believe the Pirates will commit to an annual salary in the $20 million class. Just a guess, but I think they will offer fours years around $60 million. I think that would cover two years of arbitration, and an additional two years before he would become a free agent. At that time he would be 31 years old, and if he was still pitching well, he would probably be in position for a much larger contract.
We can talk all we want about what it would take for the Pirates to sign someone. But there's always that huge disconnect between what the Pirates would pay and what the player could get from other teams. Not to mention the lack of any incentives for free agents to choose the Pirates over better teams unless Nutting significantly overpays. Ans "overpay" is not a word in Nutting's vocabulary.
Yes Nutting does not overpay, but if they cannot agree to a longer term deal, sign him for his two arbitration years, and then if he is pitching well during those two years, extend the qualifying offer. As we all know the Pirates have control over his rights for the next two seasons, so he cannot negotiate with other teams for a couple years.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

So far there has not been an official announcement stating that Oviedo will have, or had TJ Surgery. If he requires it, I hope it happens soon because sure he will miss 2024, but if he has the surgery now he may not miss any of the 2025 season. Brubaker had his surgery last March, and they don’t expect his return until mid season this year. So the sooner the better to have the surgery and begin his rehab.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

If the Bucs had non tendered Keller and he became a free agent, I don't think he'd get that amount from anyone. If they Bucs did it, it would be an overpay IMHO, but I wouldn't complain about it.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I would say that the chances of Nutting overpaying are slim to none!
Doc

Post by Doc »

It's not that the Pirates can't afford a Nola-like contract. It's that they won't.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Lance Lynn gets a one year 11 million dollar deal. That's the going rate for "veteran" I guess. I read incentives, and an team option could make it a 25 million dollar deal.

For Lance Lynn. Think about it. If Skenes, Chandler, Solometo, Burrows, etc. all don't hit and at about the same time, we're doomed. The bar has been raised for the type of signings the Pirates have made last two years, with Quintana and Hill.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Athletics signed Bido to a major league contract today.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:21 pm Lance Lynn gets a one year 11 million dollar deal. That's the going rate for "veteran" I guess. I read incentives, and an team option could make it a 25 million dollar deal.

For Lance Lynn. Think about it. If Skenes, Chandler, Solometo, Burrows, etc. all don't hit and at about the same time, we're doomed. The bar has been raised for the type of signings the Pirates have made last two years, with Quintana and Hill.
If the Pirates are interested in signing a middle priced free agent pitcher they should do something soon, or else they may discover that they cannot afford, or are unwilling to pay for a mid range price pitcher.